BLT for a no elevator stay?

Ursula_Fan

Mouseketeer
Hi all,

I know this will sound like a strange question, but in reviewing floor plans I'm not sure what to think and would appreciate some wisdom from the Dis.

We are looking at booking a 2 bedroom BLT lake view or a 2 bedroom elsewhere. My mother has bad claustrophobia and refuses to use elevators. How much will this impact a stay at BLT? I didn't see glass elevators (which she will use) so I'm assuming it's all stairs for her if we go there. It seems that the best views are higher up, and was thinking that if we took the skybridge over from the Contemporary after getting off the monorail then we'd be on floor 5 at BLT already so maybe floor 6 or 7 wouldn't be that bad. But that also assumes we are always staying on our floor.... Given this, would you go with a different resort with lower options available, like GF or BRV? Or do you think this wouldn't be much of an issue?

Thanks!

BLT would be a real problem for somebody that won't use an elevator. I'd suggest a different resort. If you need to be on the Monorail, then the Poly would be a good choice. Otherwise, I'd suggest Old Key West, which only goes as high as the 3rd floor, or Port Orleans.

I'd just book a hotel/resort with a first floor room. Some of the resorts don't have many first floor rooms, so you'd have to be cautious there, too.

There are a lot of floors at BLT, you could end up on a really high floor. I'm sure there are stairs somewhere for fire and safety, but I've never seen them. Maybe the garden wing at Contemporary and request a ground floor?

BLT would be a real problem for somebody that won't use an elevator. I'd suggest a different resort. If you need to be on the Monorail, then the Poly would be a good choice. Otherwise, I'd suggest Old Key West, which only goes as high as the 3rd floor, or Port Orleans.
Plus most of the buildings at OKW don't even have an elevator. Only three do.

Thank you everyone! BLT is definitely out, thank you for confirming. Have a good week!

I totally understand her I’m claustophic and dread closed elevators.
I always request ground / lobby floor beach club is our fav resort, followed by GF
If I can’t get I use stairs most times but getting older now so when tired , I just have to suck it up and get on
Tell mom a great way to get thru is to make sure your not getting in a crowded one first of all
And carry a nice smelling essential oil to inhale seems to take your mind off being in closed elevator.

I totally understand her I’m claustophic and dread closed elevators.
I always request ground / lobby floor beach club is our fav resort, followed by GF
If I can’t get I use stairs most times but getting older now so when tired , I just have to suck it up and get on
Tell mom a great way to get thru is to make sure your not getting in a crowded one first of all
And carry a nice smelling essential oil to inhale seems to take your mind off being in closed elevator.
SSR would be a good choice too--lots of first floor villas available and not too many stories either--staircases are pretty accessible if necessary. To really not deal with elevator think about Treehouse Villas!

BLT is one of the worst resorts for a no-elevator stay.

I would avoid it, as well as CR Main Tower, Riviera, Coronado Tower.

OKW is one of my favorite resorts without an elevator, but if monorail access is a priority for you, I'd suggest the Poly. The buildings are much smaller, so stairs would be more manageable if you ended up not being able to get a first-floor room.

I would stay at a hotel that doesn't have high floor levels- Poly only has 3 levels so worst case, she would have to do 3 flights of stairs. Grand Floridian, Beach/ Yacht Club, and AKL I know have around 5 floors and you could probably bank on being able to get on floors 1-3 with a request.

Thanks all! We got a 2 bedroom at VGF. Mom can do up to 5 flights of stairs--she did so at Copper Creek this year--so we are good to go. Thanks again for all the recs, this will definitely inform our future stays!

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter