Blue Disabled Badge Use.

walkerford

Mouseketeer
We are travelling to Disney in a couple of weeks ( DVC members ) staying at Boulder Ridge Villas and OKW.
My wife has recently received a blue disabled badge . I’ve read conflicting messages re the use of the blue badge, some people saying a us permit is required others saying the uk badge will be sufficient . Does anyone know the up to date position ? The parking at the parks is a particular concern , will the blue badge be enough for the car parking cast members to allow us to access the disabled parking area? I think at the resorts the badge will allow complimentary valet parking , obviously not an issue at OKW as we will park adjacent to the villa.
Really appreciate any up to date info. Thanks in advance .

I can't speak of experience but I know I've read other posts recently where people have asked this and although a couple of people have said they've been ok with just a uk blue badge, the majority recommend paying the $14* fee for one over there to avoid stress about it not being valid

I have a disabled cadge, but always get the temporary tag.
for $14 it takes out any concern of being ticketed for a wrong cadge that the officer might not recognise.

We have had needed to use a disabled badge for years with no issues. They are recognised as valid in the parks and in the shopping malls. We have checked at each mall and they have confirmed the U.K. one is fine and we will not be ticketed. If you show the badge at each park they will direct you to the correct parking area.

Exactly what iris1910 says. I also bought a blue badge sticker in Halfords and hung it from the rearview mirror (on a lanyard) so the disabled sign was readily visible when driving into the car parks -- this saved any issue with having to speak to a CM to access the disabled bays. I still used the proper UK blue badge for my mum over and above the lanyard sticker. No need for the US one.

The issue with the UK one is hologram. Although the parks will never have an issue with it some private car parks at malls etc have been reported as not being able to see the symbol and people have ended up with parking tickets. I go with the $17 that it works out to with postage for the US badge just because I don't want the hassle of sorting out a parking ticket. The process is simple and takes about 10 days max for the pass to come through. Plus if you do end up going again within 12 months they will reisuse another pass free of charge which is great.

I can’t believe so many are risking a fine for the sake of saving $14.
I just don’t get it.
The badge is only valid within the EU
It really isn’t the $14 . My wife literally received her physical badge today , so there is no chance of getting the Florida ‘badge / permit’ before we travel in 14 days . I have today received an e mail direct from Disney saying the uk blue badge is absolutely accepted throughout Disney property . I doubt we will travel further afield , so we are pretty ok. If I has more time I would apply for the US equivalent, but as I say we travel on the 20th, so I doubt we could receive the same , given timescales

Peopke on other forums are, in your position, either getting the red tag around 7 days from applying, or are going straight to the tax collectors office and picking one up there.

The issue, as yiubsay, is off Disney property and because tge vadge gas now changed to a hologram wheelchair, this can in some situations, not be seen from the windscreen then they get a ticket because it doesn’t meet Florida requirements

Agree that at Disney you are ok but if going out and about you are better getting the USA one. We have had them mailed to us and for a last minute trip went in person to the department and was issued on the spot.
In Massachusetts our permit was checked twice by police.

Thanks for everyone’s replies , pasted below is the response I’ve received from Disney themselves.

Thank you for contacting the Walt Disney World® Resort!

With regard to parking for Guests with Disabilities, Florida recognizes license plates and parking permits displaying the international symbol of accessibility that has been issued by any state or foreign country. However, if the permit or plate does not display one of the international symbols of accessibility, visitors must obtain a state of Florida temporary disabled person parking permit. Click here to learn more about applying for a disabled person parking permit for Florida visitors.

Should you have further questions regarding this, please contact DHSMV Customer Service Call Center at (850) 617-2000 or a motor vehicle service center.

While in most cases the UK Blue Badge may indeed be sufficient proof, I did wish to provide you with a method of obtaining any permit that may be necessary to obtain should your badge not display the proper international symbol necessary (please see the issuer of your badge to determine if a symbol on your card would be sufficient).

In response to your other question, once again allow me to apologize and correct the prior information provided. As per our website "Valet parking at Disney Deluxe hotels is complimentary for any Guest with a valid disability parking permit and a current room or dining reservation at that particular resort" so should your placard be valid as per the information above, you would indeed be able to utilize valet parking at those locations.

If you have any other questions or challenges, please do not hesitate to contact us by calling us at 0800 16 90 730 or by chatting with us in the Help Center of the Walt Disney World® website (only available on the US site). Cast Members will be happy to assist you further.

Sincerely,

Julius
eCommerce Sales and Service Team

Having used a Blue Badge for many years in Florida, the following is my advice.

If you are staying in the Disney, I' Drive, LBV and Kissimmee area, you will have no problem whatsoever, However, if you are going to move around Florida or elsewhere, for the sake of 30 minutes and a few $US, go and get yourself a Florida State Disabled Badge.

Enjoy your holiday.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!