Boardwalk v. Port Orleans Riverside Preferred Room

mini mouse 2

Earning My Ears
Going for a quick trip next February. I will save $500 if we stay in Port Orleans Riverside with a Preferred Room. Other option is Boardwalk Studio Villa. What do you think? Is it worth the extra money?

Thanks!

Last edited:
That's a tough call! We have stayed at both. POR-Preferred in December 2015 & Boardwalk Villa-studio in November 2017. I really liked both resorts a lot.

The POR-preferred room was fantastic. We used both the South (main) and West bus stops, the walk was the same. We were in building 18, and I had requested a corner room, upper floor. We ended up on a back corner that no one had any reason to walk by. We were far from the stairs, so a longer walk, but it was quiet. The walk to the main building was brief, and the quick service is awesome at POR. We didn't have many table service reservations that trip and we were quite happy to eat at the food court. We ate at Boatwright's the first night, and while I wasn't crazy about my jambalaya, the service was fantastic. I thought the buses were better at POR than at Boardwalk.

At Boardwalk, we requested upper floor near elevators and ended up 5 doors from the elevator (we couldn't hear any noise at all), and on the 5th floor. We could see the fireworks from Illuminations from our balcony. My son really doesn't like the noise from fireworks, so we don't stay in the parks to watch fireworks too often. So being able to view them from the balcony (and in pjs) is a huge bonus for us. We were there over Thanksgiving and had free dining, so we ate mainly table service. Given that, we didn't mind the lack of quick service options in the boardwalk area, and we took full advantage of being able to pop into the world showcase for dinner.

If you're the type of family that gets park hoppers and likes to eat table service, I might spring Boardwalk. That'll buy you the convenience of walking distance to two parks and tons of table service restaurants nearby. If you're a one-park, barely in the room kind of family, I'd probably go for POR and save the cash. $500 is a lot though - that's quite a few minnie van/uber rides if you need a quick ride to a dining reservation....

Good luck - you can't lose either way. :)

Going for a quick trip next February. I will save $500 if we stay in Port Orleans Riverside with a Preferred Room. Other option is Boardwalk Studio Villa. What do you think? Is it worth the extra money?

Thanks!
If you are thinking about renting DVC points for February, you may be too late. Now if you are paying cash, it will be a lot more than DVC points.

Yes, we are too late for renting points. Any thoughts on Broadwalk v. Port Orleans?
If you have a car, PO is much easier to park than the Boardwalk. Boardwalk parking is really horrible if you have your own vehicle. The lot is small, they reserve a lot of it for big conventions and they let too many non-hotel guests park there. You watch the parking lot in the evening after Illuminations and it empties out.

Boardwalk doesn't have a food court like POR. And most of the dining is on the Boardwalk. Lot more table service than quick service at the BW. You can walk to Epcot from BW and enter through the International Gateway. I have heard they are going to close the IG for a period of time maybe in the Spring to do the construction for the overhead transport. That means you'll be taking a bus to the front of Epcot instead of walking. Unless they come up with an alternate entrance during that time.

If you are looking at the villas (studios) versus hotel rooms at the BW, hotel rooms will have two real beds. The studios will only have on real bed and one sleeper sofa, plus a bunk size murphy bed.

If you have a car, PO is much easier to park than the Boardwalk. Boardwalk parking is really horrible if you have your own vehicle. The lot is small, they reserve a lot of it for big conventions and they let too many non-hotel guests park there. You watch the parking lot in the evening after Illuminations and it empties out.

Boardwalk doesn't have a food court like POR. And most of the dining is on the Boardwalk. Lot more table service than quick service at the BW. You can walk to Epcot from BW and enter through the International Gateway. I have heard they are going to close the IG for a period of time maybe in the Spring to do the construction for the overhead transport. That means you'll be taking a bus to the front of Epcot instead of walking. Unless they come up with an alternate entrance during that time.

If you are looking at the villas (studios) versus hotel rooms at the BW, hotel rooms will have two real beds. The studios will only have on real bed and one sleeper sofa, plus a bunk size murphy bed.

Great point about the beds. My 17 year old son thanks you!

Boardwalk is great but for the money I would do POR. Likely the best food court on WDW property whereas BW you must exit the resort to get QS. POR has lovely boat ride to DTD ad the carriage rides as well. But as PPer said, if most of your time is at Epcot, you can't beat the location if BW!

Do you have a source for the bolded?

Thanks!
Boardwalk is always going to be more expensive then POR. Deluxe vs moderate. There's a reason Boardwalk is 500 dollars more.

Yes, we are too late for renting points. Any thoughts on Broadwalk v. Port Orleans?
Boardwalk is a gorgeous resort. If theming is a big thing for you, I'd stay there. The Villa rooms aren't as well-themed as the Inn rooms, though, so I recommend sticking with Boardwalk Inn.

Will you swim? Do you like waterslides? Boardwalk has a pool with a great spiral waterslide. It's themed to an early-1900's amusement park, with a roller coaster-themed waterslide that exits through the mouth of a clown.

Will you spend much time at Epcot and/or Hollywood Studios? Boardwalk is within walking distance of both parks (5-10 minute walk for Epcot, 15-20 minute walk for HS). You can also walk to Fantasia mini-golf.

Last edited:
Boardwalk is always going to be more expensive then POR. Deluxe vs moderate. There's a reason Boardwalk is 500 dollars more.
Yes, I understand Boardwalk is a deluxe. Thanks so much for replying. What are your thoughts about the different hotels? Thanks!

Boardwalk is a gorgeous resort. If theming is a big thing for you, I'd stay there. The Villa rooms aren't as well-themed as the Inn rooms, though, so I recommend sticking with Boardwalk Inn.

Will you swim? Do you like waterslides? Boardwalk has a pool with a great spiral waterslide. It's themed to an early-1900's amusement park, with a roller coaster-themed waterslide that exits through the mouth of a clown.

Will you spend much time at Epcot and/or Hollywood Studios? Boardwalk is within walking distance of both parks (5-10 minute walk for Epcot, 15-20 minute walk for HS). You can also walk to Fantasia mini-golf.

We are going in February so I don't know how much we will be swimming. I love the idea that you can walk to Epcot and Hollywood Studios...this is the only reason I can think to pay the difference between Riverside and Boardwalk Villas. I agree there is not much theming with the Villas. Unfortunately, when we are going Villas are considerably less than the Inn. I am going with my 15 year old daughter and 17 year old son.

PS...I think the clown waterslide is creepy. Does anyone else think so?

Thanks for the reply!

We are going in February so I don't know how much we will be swimming. I love the idea that you can walk to Epcot and Hollywood Studios...this is the only reason I can think to pay the difference between Riverside and Boardwalk Villas. I agree there is not much theming with the Villas. Unfortunately, when we are going Villas are considerably less than the Inn. I am going with my 15 year old daughter and 17 year old son.

PS...I think the clown waterslide is creepy. Does anyone else think so?

Thanks for the reply!
Then I think you should choose Port Orleans.

Our home resort is BWV and we love staying there. We usually go during a festival and spend a lot of evenings st Epcot. At a 500 dollar price difference though, I would go with POR unless you plan a lot of time at Epcot and HS.

Our home resort is BWV and we love staying there. We usually go during a festival and spend a lot of evenings st Epcot. At a 500 dollar price difference though, I would go with POR unless you plan a lot of time at Epcot and HS.
Port Orleans Riverside...Reservation made!

Thanks so much for all the feedback!

Yes, I understand Boardwalk is a deluxe. Thanks so much for replying. What are your thoughts about the different hotels? Thanks!
There's no comparison. How do compare a deluxe with a moderate? I've stayed at both. I would only stay at POR if I needed to save money.

Found the Information: "Walt Disney World Dolphin
SPECIAL CONDITIONS
Friendship Boat Service Information: Nov. 28 - Dec. 18, 2018
Beginning November 28, 2018 until December 18, 2018, Disney’s Friendship Boat service will be temporarily suspended and not operational until December 19, 2018. Disney’s Bus Transportation will be provided to Disney’s Hollywood Studios and Epcot."

The IG may still be open, but they will be working in the area. So they might close off stuff to do the work.

Last edited:

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!