• Controversial Topics
    Several months ago, I added a private sub-forum to allow members to discuss these topics without fear of infractions or banning. It's opt-in, opt-out. Corey Click Here

BoardWalk with Kids

Susie Dismom

Mouseketeer
I have my own opinion of going to Pleasure Island at night with kids - too much "celebrating and indulging." What I want to know is do we walk the BoardWalk at night with kids - I know there are bars there, but I have it in my head (who knows why) that this is more of a family atmosphere than Pleasure Island. Let me know your experiences - thanks in advance.

While there are bars on the BoardWalk, there is no drinking "on the streets" like I have seen in PI, and the crowd at BW is much more family oriented, as is the entertainment. On our last visit we spent many evenings down there with our 2 year old and my parents. We all enjoyed a wide variety of sidewalk entertainment acts and it was family appropriate. It has a more carnival type atmosphere with games, face painting and such. PI is meant to be an adult place where kids can be with their parents in some areas, BW is a family place.

We stayed at Boardwalk last time we went. We loved it! We have 2 boys (6 and 10). The Boardwalk is nothing like pleasure island. I don't take my kids there at night. The Boardwalk is very family oriented. The kids played the basketball games, had their faces painted, etc. I had my hair braided. It's a lot of fun.

Yes, yes... take the kids! They will have a blast! Very family-friendly atmosphere! Enjoy! :)

..don't forget the sweet shop, the giant rice krispie treats, and the huuuuge ice cream cones you can get! It's really pretty all lit up at night and I think (if I remember from last year) if you sit down by Atlantic Dance, you can see the Illuminations fireworks--far, but still nice. Also, I thought you can buy a beer or glass of wine from a guy with a cart--he was down by Jellyrolls--but the Boardwalk if definitely not like Pleasure Island. We always take a walk with the stroller around the bay at night--it's a nice relaxing topper to the evening sometimes.

Jen

ooh also last year we were walking with our then 20 month old at night and there was a belly-dancer that was performing and my DD was so excited she sprinted over. The dancer took her by the hand and they danced together--it was so funny and drew quite a crowd...:)

I go to WDW for two weeks with my 3 children and would enjoy a couple of "drinks" in the evening, but not really ready to "belly up to the bar" with my 3 kids!! Can you get a drink at the BW, and walk around, or at least avoid a heavy bar-type atmosphere? I know a few years ago when I only had one child we stayed at the Dixie Landings and the Lounge there had a piano player and a seating area kind of off the main bar where the two of us sat for a while. There were several children there, even dancing! He had his own "cocktail" with lots of cherries or something!! We really enjoyed this.

I'm pretty sure I saw people drinking beer on the BW last month but everyone is right it is a family atmosphere and not rowdy at all.

I can't saw enough about the street entertainers. They really involve the audience, kids and adults. My kids got to assist with card tricks, magic tricks, rope lasso. We stayed at BWI for a week and some of the same performers were there each night so my kids go attached to particular ones..... Carlo the sword swallower/flame eater and the Ejapana guy!

Everynight we returned to BW and got dessert from Bakery and watched the shows... what a blast!:D

this sounds like a blast. We are going 4/17 - 4/24, do you think all of these activities will be out? Also, what is the easiest way to get to the BW from ASMU?

Thanks.

All the activities I described were out in early Feb. which is the slow season so I'm sure there will be more in April!

Hi,

We will be going to WDW 3/24-3/30 (& US 3/30-4/1 for the first time) and I was wondering is it worth it to go to the Boardwalk for and hour or so? We're staying at AKL, checking in around 5:45pm and I know that we'll have to go to the T&TC or DD to transfer to a bus to get to the Boradwalk so that'll take a while. But I was thinking maybe we could just walk around and get a quick bite on our first night. Also, can you check out the Boardwalk Resort while you are there? My parents would like to go with us on our next trip and they would like to stay either there or the Poly. We've already stayed at the Poly when I was younger, so I'd like to see the BW.

Also, if this would be too time consuming----do they have a marina where you can rent watermice from at BW? I was thinking of going to the Poly to do this later in our trip (to show DH and DS the resort too), but if we could rent boats at BW we could see the resort and do the boats in one trip and skip going to the Poly.

Sorry there's so many questions, but the 24th is drawing near and I'm still trying to plan our days. Even though they've been planned and re-planned about a dozen times already.
Any help is appreciated, thanks!:)

So glad to hear all the positive things about the BW. We leave on Tuesday for a week there. Since my inlaws are planning this trip for the family we had no choice as to where we stay...I am sure my boys (5 and 2.5) will enjoy the activities.

KJal1,

IMHO it would be fun to spend even an hour at BW. I'm not entirely sure but I'm thinking you could take a bus from AKL to AK then hop one over to BW. Or take a cab. We took cab from BWI to GF to $10 but it was worth it to get there directly and quickly.

You can rent watermice at BC/YC but the Cresent Lk. is so small that I'm sure it would be more fun to do so at Poly on Seven Seas Lagoon.

BW has great resturants including ESPN CLub for more casual dining or even get Spoodles take out and eat at outside tables on BW to soak up the atmosphere. If you are on BW around 9:00 walk to the bridge between BW and BC to see the Epcot fireworks.

Yes you can check out the BWI while you are there. The lobby is very pretty. There is a small but very nice lounge inside for a drink, also the Luna Park Pool area is neat.

Wish I was on my way back there! Have fun.:D

vicb-Thanks for the info, I think we will head over there TOMORROW NIGHT (Yay!!!). I can't believe it's finally here. It sounds like an hour or so would be well worth, especially since we can get dinner and see the fireworks. We probably will go to the Poly though for the watermice, I'd still like to show DH and DS before we make a decision for next trip, this way we can see both.

Thanks again!!
Only 26 hours, 29 minutes and 26 seconds to go!!!
Bye everyone and thanks for all the help!
:wave:

I took my kids to BW in 2000 when we were staying in the FW Cabins. What a great time we all had! Both my kids had their faces painted, we had some ice cream & watched the street shows. That's one of the reasons I booked BC for our trip this August. So we can be even closer to BW. By the way, I was under the impression that kids aren't allowed into PI after a certain time, 8:00pm I believe. Personally, if I was going there @night, I wouldn't want my children with me. I would reserve PI for a night out for my DH & myself. Just my opinion. As far as BW, it's not big, but it's still nice to see & plenty to do. Ooh, August can't come fast enough! Kathy :wave:

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter