Boatwright's Review - Did you complain?

*NikkiBell*

Livin’ that DVC & AP life!
Hi All,

I just finished listening to the Boatwright's review. I was wondering if you wrote an email to Disney about the waitress' comment about what meal to get. I would have found that highly offending --- almost as if she was implying you would not be able to afford the meal without the DDP.

Anyway, great review, as always! :goodvibes

I hope a complaint is sent in to be honest. We tried and loved Boatwright's in Dec. '06 and again in May '07. We were looking forward to eating there again in Oct. '07 but never again. I wrote the management of POR to try to discuss our experience but so far it has been almost four months with no response. And honestly, our experience at Boatwright's has made me not want to stay at POR. I know lodging and dining are two seperate things but they add to the overall resort experience and that experience soured me on POR which is a shame since it is such a pretty resort.

Our previous experiences there were with a different menu which wasn't so heavy on the seafood and pseudo-cajun menu. We found the foodcourt to be much more deserving of our money.

The poor service aside, the description that Kevin gave about fits with the experience we had at Boatwrights when we stayed at POR a few years ago. The menu was not spectacular and the food was not particularly memorable. It was noisy and IMHO was overpriced. I thought he hit the nail on the head with the Applebee's comment.

I think it's a shame. We loved the lounge next door with Piano Bob performing. My wife wouldn't hear of staying anyplace other than POR because of that. I don't have the same positive reaction to the food court that Kevin did, but too each his own.

When DH and I stayed at PORFQ for our honeymoon years ago, we actually thought about going to Boatwright's but opted for the food court next door instead. At the time, I was upset by this. Good to see I really didn't miss anything and probably ended up with the better option.

Its funny because the meals that Kevin quoted as being nearly $21 are similar to meals offered at 50s PTC for about $16.99, so there are even nicer, more affordable places to eat right in WDW.

I'll be giving Boatwright's a wide berth!

I'm just guessing, but I think Kevin's review cuts a wider swath than a complaint to management.

I'm just guessing, but I think Kevin's review cuts a wider swath than a complaint to management.

I was thinking this too as I typed the original post. Part of me wonders if Disney listens to the podcasts or reads the boards more than every so often. I recognize that this will impact sales at the establishment though. ;)

*adds to list of NOT to do at Disney*

I have two lists up for my disney trip (2010, yes i plan that far ahead!) and its on the NO GO list!

I was thinking this too as I typed the original post. Part of me wonders if Disney listens to the podcasts or reads the boards more than every so often. I recognize that this will impact sales at the establishment though. ;)

I too would like to know if anyone (who makes decisions) at Disney listens to the Podcast. Podcasters, do you know if they listen?

With over 160,000 members, and who knows how many lurkers and listeners, Disney would be foolish NOT to listen to the DIS and DIS Unplugged.

No doubt, Ursula. I am confident that they read the boards, but not so sure about the podcast. Very interesting to ponder though. ;)

Ohh, I can see it now...

Next official Career Builder opening for Disney: Official CIA-Style Podcast Devotee. ROFL.

To answer the original question...

When we are "working" and reviewing a restaurant, we do nothing to alter the experience. We just allow everything to happen and then come tell y'all about it.

My goal is to have a typical guest experience and report on it. If I try to "guide" the experience to make it better then it has my input and it would be different than what Jane and Joe Tourist experience.

Hopefully (fingers crossed) they will hear the review, take what they want from it and be able to sort of steer their experience to one thats more positive.

If it's just us going to dinner....then yes....I would be more vocal about something that was wrong.

The obvious exception to this is the Coral Reef. It was sooo bad that I couldnt in good conscience allow anybody pay for what I was served. I had to say something.

As for Disney listening...there have been times, and I cant share details, that we know they have listened....and reacted.

As for Disney listening...there have been times, and I cant share details, that we know they have listened....and reacted.

Oooo.. that's mean... Will details be divulged on the Podcast Cruise? ;)

and (Still) Happy Birthday John!!

To answer the original question...

When we are "working" and reviewing a restaurant, we do nothing to alter the experience. We just allow everything to happen and then come tell y'all about it.

My goal is to have a typical guest experience and report on it. If I try to "guide" the experience to make it better then it has my input and it would be different than what Jane and Joe Tourist experience.

Hopefully (fingers crossed) they will hear the review, take what they want from it and be able to sort of steer their experience to one thats more positive.

If it's just us going to dinner....then yes....I would be more vocal about something that was wrong.

The obvious exception to this is the Coral Reef. It was sooo bad that I couldnt in good conscience allow anybody pay for what I was served. I had to say something.

Heh, thanks for the info, Kevin. ;)

I bet it was very hard *NOT* to complain or get vocal when things started going downhill. It'd be tricky for me! :laughing: :lmao: :rotfl2: Hmm, I wonder if it is the Jerzy Girl in me? ;)

You just got me nervous about Coral Reef. This must've been an episode I missed. We are booked there for lunch in April. :headache:

Awesome! Thanks! :)

We usually get the Premium Dining Plan for each of our trips and have experienced a lot of wonderful places as a result. We are getting the Deluxe DDP this April. I just lost 105 pounds and am a bit nervous about handling all of the food, but my boyfriend insists! I'll just have to keep some extra podcasts around for when I need to exercise off the gained weight once we return from the trip!

I'll check out the Coral Reef review now. -fingers crossed-

I understand not wanting to alter the experience while it is happening, but I think that registering a complaint at a later time is both valid and important to improving the guest experience. (I fired off an email to you guys called "At Which Point Do You Complain" regarding this kind of thing)

I think it's important for any of us who care about the resorts to make sure we are vocal about issues that arise. In many cases, making a fuss in the middle of dinner is inappropriate. However, I think it's important for everyone to know the location of Guest Relations, or know the Guest Communications email address, etc... How does someone with severe B.O. know they smell if no one is willing to take the time to help them out and let them know? That's a poor example, to be sure, but its what I've got right now... As an example, not as in having B.O. - this is just going downhill...

I sometimes fear that "Jane and Joe Tourist" don't know that their opinion is important, and that they too often just leave disappointed.

I remember from my days as a CM how important guest feedback was. The good was always shared with you, and the bad was, well... I tried not to be bad ;)

Anyway, thanks for reading... anyone who did :)

-ExBellhop

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter