• Controversial Topics
    Several months ago, I added a private sub-forum to allow members to discuss these topics without fear of infractions or banning. It's opt-in, opt-out. Corey Click Here

Bob Costas to go to ABC?

Tannerman

Mouseketeer
In the Mar 2-8 issue of TV Guide, there is an article (currently not available online) that talks about the options of Bob Costas moving from NBC to ABC because of all the sports-related content that ABC has now (and NBC doesn't).

While personally I feel Costas would be best suited as the Comish of Baseball, this wouldn't be a bad move on his part (and a strong move for ABC Sports/ESPN). Maybe when I have time, I'll type the article up and publish here, unless someone else finds it and wants to get it online. What do you think about this speculation?

In the same issue of TV Guide, there was a sports article about how "Costas stuck it to NBC" during the Olympics. An excerpt follows:

Cold Warrior
Bob Costas Fights the Good Fight for Fans

If you listened carefully to Bob Costas during his hosting sessions at the Salt Lake City Olympics, several times you found something very un-NBC-like about his words.

He was on our side. Or at least he tried to be. He told us things — big things, small things, read-between-the-lines things — that were of greater benefit to viewers than to the Father Network.

While NBC News again abandoned its credibility to jump on the Olympic-promotion rocket — Tom Brokaw, clad in Winter Olympic skiwear, anchored NBC Nightly News, and reported on the Afghan war, mountainside in Utah! — Costas tried to show he’s a journalist trapped in an NBC body.

Click here for full story

Costas to ABC? I'd much prefer "Costas to retirement."

More from the NY Post:

ABC GOING AFTER COSTAS

By DON KAPLAN

February 26, 2002 --
AFTER 22 years at NBC, Bob Costas could be going to Disney World this summer.

Costas, whose NBC Sports contract expires in June, has reportedly been in early talks with ABC and ESPN - both owned by the Walt Disney Company, according to a report in this week's TV Guide.

The logic behind the talks is that after the Olympics, there's not much work at NBC Sports that Costas would be interested in anymore.

But ABC and ESPN's potent combination of the NFL, NCAA basketball and Major League Baseball may be just enough to entice the 49-year-old to jump ship.

He would also stand a good chance of getting a bump on his NBC salary, which is currently reported to be about $3 million a year.

Costas could not be reached for comment yesterday and NBC officials declined to comment

Click for article source

If Costas goes to ABC, does that mean we might see him calling baseball for ESPN....on occasion? I hope not. I hope they don't make him commissioner either.....although he would be a substantial improvement over Selig.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter