Bob Iger Mentions the Official Disneyland Star Wars Opening Date

Tigger Trainer

Mouseketeer
While Disney has not officially announced June yet, it appears the many predictions are correct. June is the official opening of Star Wars in Disneyland.

https://www.barrons.com/articles/di...ark-plans-and-learning-from-kodak-51546599600

Stated in the Article:

Do you still feel like you can bring more people through the parks, or is it more about growing ticket prices?

In some, you get more repeat visitation and increased length of stay because there’s more to do. You get more capacity. When Star Wars opens in Anaheim in June and in Florida later in the year, that’s adding capacity. You’re adding 14 acres of land [each], more rides, and more things for people to do. It’s the biggest land we’ve ever built. We’re just getting higher demand on our product spread throughout the year. That gives you pricing leverage. But what we’re also trying to do is be much smarter about pricing strategy, to try to spread attendance and reduce attendance in the peak periods so we can improve guest satisfaction. Crowding is an issue.

So yes, let's spread the crowding misery so everyone can be unhappy all year long instead of just during the expected peak times. Let's be honest at least. This isn't about improving guest satisfaction. It's about maximizing attendance every single day of the year.

@mom2rtk I don't disagree with you. I just wanted to pass along the informal/yet more official time-frame to confirm everyone's guess.

Excited! We already were going in July for a conference, and will be there 4 days, expecting it to be busy but also hoping that Star Wars pulls enough that way to make the rest of the rides a bit easier.

We are going over Labor Day weekend at the VGC and plan a rope drop, MaxPass SWL first approach each day so that we have the best chance to ride both rides and see what we can see.

I know SWL will be at capacity everyday for possibly the next few years so I think the rest of the property will be packed as well as those waiting to go to SWL will be doing "everything else". People have to go somewhere when they can't get into SWL...
Lots of deep breathes and a plan will help, but I don't think even the most seasoned DLR vets has a full picture of how bad the crowds could be. Even those that have been through many capacity closures over holidays will be surprised as 14 acres of space will allow even more people in to reach a "new capacity". We learned a lot from Pandora in Florida, but Avatar is not Star Wars...

Stay safe and sane and see you all in the parks.
Mike

going in november 2019. where exactly is swe going to be in dlr? is it swe or swl btw? ! also, will staying on property (gch) have advantages for this new area?

@mom2rtk I don't disagree with you. I just wanted to pass along the informal/yet more official time-frame to confirm everyone's guess.
Sorry if I wasn't clear. I wasn't addressing you. I was replying to Mr. Iger's statement. I appreciate you putting it here for discussion.

going in november 2019. where exactly is swe going to be in dlr? is it swe or swl btw? ! also, will staying on property (gch) have advantages for this new area?
The official name is Star Wars Galaxy's Edge, hence the abbreviate SWGE. Sometimes people also just call it Star Wars Land (SWL). It may take some time for it to catch on - like I think I still referred to Pandora as Avatar Land for a while, but now I just call it Pandora!

It is located between Critter Country and the top of Frontierland (majority of the area used to be backstage, though they also took over the space from Big Thunder Ranch petting zoo/bbq). So there will be a couple entrance paths along the walkway between Frontierland and Fantasyland. And another path adjacent to the Hungry Bear Restaurant along the Rivers of America. We don't know yet exactly how they will manage crowds and if some of these will be entrance only/exit only, or what.

For advantages, we don't know exactly what yet. Right now hotel guests have access to parks 1-hour earlier, with the actual park alternating (i.e. Tuesday, Thursday, Saturday it's at Disneyland and Monday, Wednesday, Friday, Sunday it's at DCA). However, the days at Disneyland also coincide with "Magic Morning", which people can get if they buy a 3-day or longer ticket. So the Disneyland one isn't as worthwhile because there are many more people, while DCA is much emptier with only the guests of the 3 hotels. It's been speculated they could move Magic Morning to DCA, or maybe have some days with just hotel guests, but we won't know until closer to the opening. I know a friend and I will be staying at a Disney hotel that weekend to try and take advantage of this extra time.

Last edited:

It'll be in the northwest corner of the park, accessible from the Big Thunder Trail or the path along the Rivers of America past the Hungry Bear. Technically it's Star Wars: Galaxy's Edge, but I expect a lot of folks will just call it Star Wars Land for short.

I wouldn't be surprised if the new attractions were open for EMH/MM, so that might be a benefit for on-property guests. There may be other advantages, but I haven't heard anything yet.

These maps from MiceChat (sorry DIS!) show before and after of DL park.

https://micechat.com/156606-star-wars-land-news-star-wars-upcharge/

https://i2.wp.com/micechat.com/wp-content/uploads/2016/01/StarWarsExpansion-Before.jpg?ssl=1
https://i1.wp.com/micechat.com/wp-content/uploads/2016/01/StarWarsExpansion-After.jpg?ssl=1

:wizard:

Hmmmmm I was guessing it wouldn't be open for our June trip which starts on 6/10....maybe it actually will be.

So yes, let's spread the crowding misery so everyone can be unhappy all year long instead of just during the expected peak times. Let's be honest at least. This isn't about improving guest satisfaction. It's about maximizing attendance every single day of the year.

Yep. He wants the Fire Marshal there everyday.

Of course. The only thing I find surprising is why has Disney waited so long to roll out variable pricing to balance out demand. Also I don't understand why they haven't been more aggressive with their pricing models. They are missing out on huge amounts of revenue by not charging more at Christmas. They could double the price of daily and park hopper tickets for the Christmas period and still have the place packed.

Of course. The only thing I find surprising is why has Disney waited so long to roll out variable pricing to balance out demand. Also I don't understand why they haven't been more aggressive with their pricing models. They are missing out on huge amounts of revenue by not charging more at Christmas. They could double the price of daily and park hopper tickets for the Christmas period and still have the place packed.

Variable pricing can be a deterrent for locals and Disneyland is primarily a locals park. Locals don't make longterm plans about going the way people on vacation do. They want to be able to go when they get the time but variable pricing puts up a barrier for that and discourages spur of the moment trips for them.

Variable pricing can be a deterrent for locals and Disneyland is primarily a locals park. Locals don't make longterm plans about going the way people on vacation do. They want to be able to go when they get the time but variable pricing puts up a barrier for that and discourages spur of the moment trips for them.

Isn't that the point of variable pricing? I'm not sure what other options Disney has to balance supply and demand. The state transportation agency in Washington State is doing this on more and more freeways. The tolls at rush hour are $10. At offpeak travel times they are free. I'm not sure why a private corporation wouldn't do the same thing.

Isn't that the point of variable pricing?

Yes it is and its why they have not used it here. They don't want barriers that discourage attendance because they are worried fewer people will go. They don't mind if you have a poor experience in a packed park as long as you keep coming back and giving them your money.

The official name is Star Wars Galaxy's Edge, hence the abbreviate SWGE. Sometimes people also just call it Star Wars Land (SWL). It may take some time for it to catch on - like I think I still referred to Pandora as Avatar Land for a while, but now I just call it Pandora!

It is located between Critter Country and the top of Frontierland (majority of the area used to be backstage, though they also took over the space from Big Thunder Ranch petting zoo/bbq). So there will be a couple entrance paths along the walkway between Frontierland and Fantasyland. And another path adjacent to the Hungry Bear Restaurant along the Rivers of America. We don't know yet exactly how they will manage crowds and if some of these will be entrance only/exit only, or what.

For advantages, we don't know exactly what yet. Right now hotel guests have access to parks 1-hour earlier, with the actual park alternating (i.e. Tuesday, Thursday, Saturday it's at Disneyland and Monday, Wednesday, Friday, Sunday it's at DCA). However, the days at Disneyland also coincide with "Magic Morning", which people can get if they buy a 3-day or longer ticket. So the Disneyland one isn't as worthwhile because there are many more people, while DCA is much emptier with only the guests of the 3 hotels. It's been speculated they could move Magic Morning to DCA, or maybe have some days with just hotel guests, but we won't know until closer to the opening. I know a friend and I will be staying at a Disney hotel that weekend to try and take advantage of this extra time.
SWGE is a ridiculous mouth full. I don’t think it is ever gonna catch on over SWL...

Not at DLR! I don’t even know that DLR reached capavity at any point over the holiday season this year? (MK in WDW did.) Balancing our the crowds at DLR is extremely difficult and the ticket buyer vs AP is just such a hard equation for them them to nail down out here.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!