BOG Lunch help? Picky DH...

CapnJacksGirl

Mom to two little scalliwags!
My sister-in-law's one requirement for our upcoming October trip is to eat at BOG. I couldn't get a dinner ADR (though I still check at least twice a day every day) but I did get a lunch one.

The problem is that my picky DH didn't really like lunch there when we ate there four years ago and the roast beef sandwich he got that time is now served cold, if I have correct information, which makes matters even worse.

So here's my questions:

1. Is the roast beef sandwich now indeed served cold?
2. Can he pre-order off the kids' menu on the DDP? I've suggested he get the shrimp off the kids menu and add french onion soup.
3. Has anyone had the shrimp off of the kids menu? How was it and how many did you get?
4. Can he bring in food from another restaurant?
5. Anyone have a lunch menu suggestion for a real simple meat and potatoes kind of guy?
6. Has anyone had luck brainwashing/hypnotizing a picky DH into eating like a normal person? ;)

Thanks in advance for the help!

1. It is now actually a French Dip. This is likely your best bet for him.

2. Yes. Note that the soup will not be included in the dining credit; it will be cash or a snack credit on top of the DDP credit. Kids meals aren't good values on adult DDP so you might be better off making him a separate ADR for 1 and paying cash for his.

3. -

4. Yeah, but by the time he walks from somewhere else with it in an open paper container, everyone is through the BOG line and he can sit, it will be cold and congealed. Ew.

5. The braised pork. Really. Unless he is opposed to all vegetables, it is very meat n potatoes in nature.
Be-Our-Guest-Braised-Pork.jpg

The French dip is your other good option, though. It's a dip with fries.

6. Tell him to go eat at Casey's and meet you at X time at Y place. :cool1:

My kids are really picky and we're fighting over the sandwiches. The French dip and turkey were SO GOOD (esp. by Theme park food standards); also got the croque madam w/ bechamel sauce on the side and that was good too. Add fries and a cupcake to your sandwich (maybe soup too?) and you'll have a good meal, picky eater or not!
P.s thought the braised pork was just ok, like a pork roast I'd make at home. The tuna on the Niçoise salad had a very fishy taste and ruined what could have been a good, refreshing choice.

Honestly, if he really didn't like it and she really wants to go there, I'd split up. Her family can go to BoG, your family can go someplace where he would enjoy his food. Of course, I don't like traveling with other people, and I would welcome a break with my own family.

Your husband can always get soup or cupcake only and have a meal he enjoys before or after. I wouldn't make him eat at a place that he didn't really like when you ate there before.

I would get him a soup with a snack credit and have something more to his liking elsewhere. The kid's shrimp is like 4 little shrimp or something.

My son always complained about eating here, because he didn't like anything on the menu. This time he got the French Dip, and that totally changed his mind. It was one of his favorite lunches.

I had the croque monsier, which is a grilled ham and cheese, and it was really good. It seems like something even a picky eater would like. My husband and I always get the green beans as a side, but the fries are good too.

You can just get an order of fries... they're on the kids menu. My younger kids order entrees off the kids' menu here, because they like those choices better, but the portions are small, so they order fruit/veggies as their sides and round it out with adding a side fries to their entree. And yes, if you order the shrimp, it is a small portion-- four smallish shrimp. That's why we added fries!

My sister-in-law's one requirement for our upcoming October trip is to eat at BOG. I couldn't get a dinner ADR (though I still check at least twice a day every day) but I did get a lunch one.

The problem is that my picky DH didn't really like lunch there when we ate there four years ago and the roast beef sandwich he got that time is now served cold, if I have correct information, which makes matters even worse.

So here's my questions:

1. Is the roast beef sandwich now indeed served cold?
2. Can he pre-order off the kids' menu on the DDP? I've suggested he get the shrimp off the kids menu and add french onion soup.
3. Has anyone had the shrimp off of the kids menu? How was it and how many did you get?
4. Can he bring in food from another restaurant?
5. Anyone have a lunch menu suggestion for a real simple meat and potatoes kind of guy?
6. Has anyone had luck brainwashing/hypnotizing a picky DH into eating like a normal person? ;)

Thanks in advance for the help!

If he's a 'meat/potatoes' guy he should enjoy the braised pork entree at lunch. It is our favorite that we get each time - also usually get the french onion soup to go along with it.

Another vote for the braised pork. We have also had the turkey sandwich from the kids menu and it was also very good. I think it would be fine for a man for lunch with an extra side as long as he's not a really big eater.

I agree that the braised pork is a good choice for the "meat and potatoes" crowd. When we where there the kids option was served with sweet potatoes and the adult version was served with white potatoes.

Thanks everyone for the replies! If the roast beef sandwich is now a french dip (and it's warm not cold), he'll be good with that. With the DDP now allowing two snacks per person per day, he can easily grab something after lunch at BOG if he isn't full. I kind of forgot that part since it's new to DDP since we were there last. We like to stay all together so we wouldn't really consider splitting up. With your advice here, we'll be good. Many of you have, however, convinced me to get the braised pork! That looks awesome!

Now, I have not had it, but if they serve a French dip cold, someone should be thrown overboard from the Riverboat because that is so wrong it should be spelled zrong.

1. It is now actually a French Dip. This is likely your best bet for him.

2. Yes. Note that the soup will not be included in the dining credit; it will be cash or a snack credit on top of the DDP credit. Kids meals aren't good values on adult DDP so you might be better off making him a separate ADR for 1 and paying cash for his.

3. -

4. Yeah, but by the time he walks from somewhere else with it in an open paper container, everyone is through the BOG line and he can sit, it will be cold and congealed. Ew.

5. The braised pork. Really. Unless he is opposed to all vegetables, it is very meat n potatoes in nature.
Be-Our-Guest-Braised-Pork.jpg

The French dip is your other good option, though. It's a dip with fries.

6. Tell him to go eat at Casey's and meet you at X time at Y place. :cool1:
I have ordered the Braised Pork for lunch and also for dinner. That being said I won't order it again. Last year I felt the quality of the dish was not as good as it had been on the first couple of visits.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter