BOMA- Flavors of Africa

Slinky_dogg

So many Resort so little time!!
How good is it?
What can I expect on the buffet?
Is it a good place for a picky adult eater?

Thankx much::MinnieMo ::MickeyMo

Boma is excellent, but obviously exotic because of the African flare. I'm not sure how "picky" you are, but there are so many selections that you're bound to find something you like. Their soups are delicious and very interesting. There's an assortment of salads and side dishes from which you can choose, but they're all authentically made and will not necessarily be familiar flavors. There's a carving station that usually has prime rib, pork, and/or some other roast that would probably be palatable for a picky eater (they provide dipping sauces to spice the meat up). If all else fails, there's a children's buffet station that offers mac and cheese, chicken fingers, and standard "American" favorites. They also have a wonderful dessert station, offering zebra domes (very popular), pineapple cheesecake, and huge cookies among others. We loved this restaurant so much, we ate there twice during our one-week stay, but we're not picky eaters and enjoyed the adventure of trying different foods.

Not sure if you are wanting to eat there for dinner or for breakfast, but both are wonderful. My DH is a very picky eater, and he had plenty to eat and loved the food - he is requesting to return on our next trip.

You can find menus for Boma's offerings online at http://www.allearsnet.com/menu/menus.htm which could help you decide if you might like to try it!

Thanks for the responses. Itas not me thats "picky",its my DH. I am very adveturous to try new foods. I had looked at the men but was just checking here to make sure it hadnt changed much. I had heard about the long lines to check-in for dinner and we're coming from CBR. But I do look foward to this dining experience.

We went to WDW last June for a quick stay at the AKL...we ate at Boma the first night we were there and liked it so much that we cancelled our dinner reservation for the last night of our stay and went back to Boma...It has a very plain selection at all times on top of the flavorful choices (Mac and Cheese, Chicken fingers etc.)

In our family, DH likes to try new things & I'm the one who's hesitant. :o I wasn't sure at all about Boma from looking at the menus before our trip. We ended up eating at Boma for every meal we hadn't made a PS for! We loved it!

Another suggestion would be to look up some of the recipes on Margie J's site - that may give you a better idea than just the name of the foods. e.g. Fufu sounds pretty weird, but it's mashed white/sweet potatoes with cinnamon & really good! We make them here often. :teeth:

Boma is hands down my favorite restaurant in WDW. That may not mean much since we've only been to WDW once... but we still loved it. It was the very first PS I made for our upcoming trip.

If you go, make sure to try the soups-- they're incredible. Plus, save room for dessert-- you'll regret it if you don't try the Zebra Domes. :)

I agree with everyone so far - the great thing about Boma, other than the quality of the food, is the variety and the fact that both adventurous and picky eaters will be very happy here! Enjoy!

Thanks for the great reviews. We have never been to Boma but it is a definite on our list for our upcoming trip in November! Can't wait to try it out.

Is Boma a buffet restaurant? Is there a dress code at Jiko's? We made PS for Aug and the CM told me it was a full servixce sit down restaurant. Thanks

Boma is the buffet, Jiko is the more "fancy" sit-down restaurant. I don't know if there is a dress code per se, but I don't think I've ever seen anyone in shorts and t-shirts in there. A casual dress or pants suit for the lady, long Docker-type trousers and a polo (and then stepping up to dressier mode) would be probably about just right for Jiko.

I thought the food was great! I wish I had some recipes particularly for their soups. They would have been great during the winter. I do recall that it was a bit pricey, if you had a picky eater. I hated having to pay an adult meal price for my VERY picky teenager (who only ate chicken nuggets, bread and mac n cheese -- didn't even like the desserts). It wasn't worth taking him!

You must not have been at Jiko when I was there :teeth: I wore shorts and a collared shirt and didn't feel under dressed. Its a nice resturant, but its a relaxed atmosphere.

We're heading back in November, but I see that my favorite horseraddish encrusted salmon is no longer on the menu. :(

We haven't thought about specific resturants for the november trip yet, but Jiko is always on the short list. But after reading the rave reviews, we just may have to try Boma this time.

I went to Boma and left starving......the fun is to try something and if you don't like it go back for something else. Yes, the soups are wonderful. It is definately a must try.........breakfast or dinner.
Jiko's is wonderful also for a more sophicated dinner. Don't fret over the menu, in fact don't even mention it. Let your taste buds do the judging.........enjoy:wave:

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter