Terrorists in Paris?!

flortlebap

Disneyiac!
Not that I wanted to have a negative outlook, but... :sad2:

Hope everything's OK... we're leaving for our trip tomorrow, staying in London then heading to Paris Friday morning... it doesn't exactly fill you with joy seeing things like that on the news, does it :sad1:

I hope so :thumbsup2

Problem is, I guess you can never tell... and it's worried me slightly I have to admit... what if it happens again? :confused3 twice in a week isn't the best record, is it...

Bit of a sensationalist thread title there!

It was a false alarm, they found nothing. The imminent threat is applicable to France, Germany and Britain - so there's as much chance of something happening if you stay here as there is going to DLP!

When we were there last week there were some of the biggest toughest looking soldiers I've ever seen patrolling the station area next to DLP - made me feel very safe :D

Problem is, I guess you can never tell... and it's worried me slightly I have to admit... what if it happens again? :confused3 twice in a week isn't the best record, is it...

Bit confused by this- could you please provide a link?

Bit of a sensationalist thread title there!

I was going to say, perhaps you should consider changing the title of your thread as it may cause unnecessary worry to others. :flower3:

It was a false alarm, they found nothing. The imminent threat is applicable to France, Germany and Britain - so there's as much chance of something happening if you stay here as there is going to DLP!

Absolutely correct. :thumbsup2 Unfortunately, we have to be on our guard these days, wherever we are.

Paris has always had very prominent security when ever we have been. I have always seen armed forces and police at both the city, DLP , metro stations and airports during the past 5 years.

"The Eiffel Tower in Paris, however, has been evacuated twice because of a bomb scare in the past two weeks, a precaution that may have been prompted by the intelligence."

Source - the Guardian - http://www.guardian.co.uk/world/2010/sep/29/terror-attack-plot-europe-foiled

From the same article:

"Security sources insisted that attacks in Europe were not imminent."

Paris has always had very prominent security when ever we have been. I have always seen armed forces and police at both the city, DLP , metro stations and airports during the past 5 years.

This is what I've always found too.

Unfortunately it's something we all have to be aware of, here and when on our magical breaks pixiedust:

Absolutely, yesterday in Topshop there was an unattended bag just left on the steps, You could see staff starting to worry as to where it had come from and deciding what to do about it.

A couple of minutes later a schoolgirl (she was in Uniform) came along and picked it up, when asked by the staff did she forget it, she simply replied "no, i was just looking round the shop"

I ask you :mad:

The truth is, the chances of you being killed in a terrorist attack are so miniscule that you are in much more danger of dying every time you get in a car etc.

If it happens, it sucks, but don't let these idiots run your life.

The truth is, the chances of you being killed in a terrorist attack are so miniscule that you are in much more danger of dying every time you get in a car etc.

If it happens, it sucks, but don't let these idiots run your life.

Spot on and pretty much what I was about to post.

You can't spend your life living in fear of something that almost certainly wont happen.

Don't let this ruin your trip, you'll have a fantastic time.

DW and I were on our first WDW holiday (staying nearby) when the Twin Towers were destroyed on 11/9/2001. We hadn't planned on going to WDW that day as I had forgotton to pack swimming trunks which I needed for a Discovery Cove trip on the 12th. All the parks closed that day but the following day we were swimming with dolphins at Discovery Cove and everything carried on as normal albeit with increased security at the park. Had it not been business as usual, then the terrorists would have won.

I think there is most likely more security alerts than we know about.

When we was there last week we saw several times, mainly in evening, the army looking very serious wandering around outside the station . I thoughtsomething was going on and just seen on the news france has had 2 bomb threats in the last week and had to evacuate the Eiffel tower

On leaving UK our bag was emptied and swabs toof of inside our bag, cameras, chargers etc and on talking to mums bf whos a lorry driver so goes through customs a lot the were checking for chemicals used in .

So rest they are being cautious and all bags are scanned etc too at checkin. Im glad I didnt know before I went as I suffer panick attacks but I felt safe seeing the army patrol. DLP were checking bags more thoroughly too and had scanners there

We didn't notice anything different at CDG last week as they have always been very thorough with searches anyway, they have always been very strict. I have been stopped at paris for random searches quite a few times in the past. I had seen armed forces before outside metro stations so didn't think anything about it when we saw them last week outside the station. I don't know what it is like for the eurostar as we always fly.

i found the security checks much stricter Leaving france rather than getting into france!!
The french custums guy was incredibly thorough with my whole family including our daughters pram.....he made me strip the whole thing down......and made me taste the bottles of milk we had prepared for her for our journey home! and he burnt his finger on a flask of boiling hot water we had to warm the bottles up! i did try to tell him but he wouldnt listen!

we wondered what the army blokes were doin there with their machine guns......we had no idea there have been bomb plots in paris....

Eurostar was much the same as always. There have been Army guys present on our previous visits too.

It all needs a bit of perspective - the latest 'threat' was an anonymous phone call about a bomb, which could have just as easily have been a prank from an idiot as an actual terrorist threat.

As for the terrorist threat from militants in Pakistan which the Guardian are reporting on, well that's been thwarted. Seems like a pretty safe time to go as there will be extra precautionary security.

i found the security checks much stricter Leaving france rather than getting into france!!
The french custums guy was incredibly thorough with my whole family including our daughters pram.....he made me strip the whole thing down......and made me taste the bottles of milk we had prepared for her for our journey home! and he burnt his finger on a flask of boiling hot water we had to warm the bottles up! i did try to tell him but he wouldnt listen!

When was this?

we wondered what the army blokes were doin there with their machine guns......we had no idea there have been bomb plots in paris....

I've always seen the military hanging around, ever since I regularly started visiting France three years ago.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter