Book Trip Myself

zonk__39

Earning My Ears
OK, don't laugh, I am new here. I always planned trips through Travel Agent. Do most people here book theirselves? I am working with an agent and he gave me prices for package. He is not very helpful because everytime I ask him about hotels he says, "I don't really know". Anyhow he gave me a package price and went online and priced same exact package for much less. I can separately book the Airfare, Hotel, Car and Hoppers. Is it wise for me to book myself? I am going in October and a lot could happen until then. Usually there is cancellation insurance with Travel Agent. Am I stuck if I have to cancel? Can I book Air, Hotel and Car and cancel last minute if I have to?

I want to make reservations soon at Comfort Suite Maingate East and would like to know what most people do here to book their trips.

Thanks in advance.

Hi, zonk, and welcome to the DIS!

I personally, hate the word "package" due to my bad experiences with them. Of course, ALL packages are not bad but once you know the "drill", you can book yourself and do it for less.

First of all, examine your package, piece by piece. Check Orbitz or your airline's website for the airfares and compare. Check the Discounts page on this site and compare the hotels to the one you're booking. Read over the reviews on this board about similar hotels. Check AAA, Entertainment card and code rates. Read over the deals and info on the Transportation board. Then, figure in the price of the hoppers. THEN figure out if it's all balanced out.

Some people would rather leave all this "footwork" to the professionals. I enjoy it! In the long run you will find that it becomes second nature.

Every entity has it's own cancellation policies, I know my airline charges $50 for any changes. Most hotels will take a credit card # as a deposit, some charge one day up front. Most car rental places will take your reservation without a deposit. Check their policies before you book if you want to remain flexible. If you use Priceline you are charged as soon as you win your bid and you can lose it if you don't use it. That's the chance you take for the great rate.

I know you'll get great information on this board. None of this comes overnight, but believe me, it's worth it!

And again, welcome!

you should try to book your trip through expedia.com. we got a great rate that included air fare,car and hotel at the comfort suites maingate east.

Thank You for your help. I think I am leaning on doing it myself but, I wanted the flexibility of canceling if I have to. Expedia was a higher rate then booking myself.

If you want to be able to buy insurance and cancel at the last minute a package may be the way to go. Only you can decide if the additional cost for that flexibiltiy is worth it.

However, if you TA keeps telling you that he does not know the answers to your questions, I recommend you find a new TA. TAs have different skill sets. For example, we have one here at work who is a pro at our business travel, but probably knows next to nothing about WDW. So look for one one who can help you. A TA can also book the componets as indivdual pieces and sell you cancellation insurance. Sometimes they do charge for this since the commissions airlines are paying them are pretty small now. However, it sounds like you are not getting good service (just a take it or leave it deal!)

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter