Book with points or rent and pay in cash

MuxtonMiley

Mouseketeer
We have been DVC members for 5 years or so - 225 points per Use Year - and we use them to go to the States every 2 years. With kids in school we tend to stick to the last 2 weeks of August. Our predicament is this. For the last few years Disney have been offering anyone stopping on Disney Property free Disney Dining which we figure is worth around £1,500 for the fortnight. If we book at SSR for 2 weeks using our points and pay for food on top we have to pay for 2 weeks food, whereas if we rent out our points we would have around £3,000 cash available which we could spend on paying for the same room at SSR including all of our food and have about another £500 spare??? Last year we used our points to go on DCL and then used cash to pay for SSR with food. We can't think of how else to make it work for us as DVC members in Florida - anyone else had similar thoughts??

We thought about doing the same for next year but I prefer staying at BWV and dont want to stay at OKW or SSR. I will segment my stay so that I will be able to have DDP on certain days. This year I have actually paid for the DDP for 9 nights. I think if I was in your position and stayed in SSR each year then I would sell my points and then book paying cash allowing you to get the DDP and some spare cash to spend.

I did something similar, a fortnight's worth of dining plan was quite gluttonous, but good :) We stayed in a studio at OKW.

I have the same thought each year, and although you could rent you points you would probably get around 1500 for 225 points. you are comparing ssr which Disney discounts. Price up boardwalk, beach club, bay lake towers which you can stay in then the price comparison begins to make more sense and DVC a better value option. As for dining plan although it's free you do have the gratuities which can mount up.

Have the following problem:
Our dates are april 28-may 12. Free dining starts may 1st. If I book april28-may1 on points and may1-may 12 with free dining, will we be able to use the ultimate ticket from april 28 on or do we have to wait till may 1st?

For free dining I think you need to purchase the park tickets as part of the package, so to have the package you couldnt access the tickets until the first of may so your first few days would be without park tickets.

We have been booking on points 1 year, then booking cash with free dining the following year. This has allowed us to stay in larger accommodation on the points years and has allowed us to make the most of each stay be it with free dining or larger accommodation.

We find we are not particularly interested in free DDP as after about 2 noghts we are sick of the sight of Disney food. We prefer to use our points to stay in the places we want to stay (AKV,BLT) in 2 bedrooms and cook some or most nights. The last time we took DDP we overheard a lady in the shop talking about just having an omelette that night and i remember saying to my hubby i wish we could just have that rather than the TS we have to go on tonight because we have DDP.

If visit after visit you are renting your points to book a better deal it doesn't sound like DVC is a good fit for you.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!