Booking at VGF at 7months question

darly2004

Mouseketeer
We are almost at the 7 month mark and are hoping to stay at VGF. It looks like we are going to cut it close whether or not we will get it. I would like to buy DVC one time use points for this reservation, but don't want to risk losing out by having to call member services (I don't think you can do it online). Can you get through pretty quickly when calling or would that make me lose out on our potential room?

We are almost at the 7 month mark and are hoping to stay at VGF. It looks like we are going to cut it close whether or not we will get it. I would like to buy DVC one time use points for this reservation, but don't want to risk losing out by having to call member services (I don't think you can do it online). Can you get through pretty quickly when calling or would that make me lose out on our potential room?

It's entirely possible that you might lose the reservation by waiting to call, depending on how popular the villas size is for the season you want to book. A suggestion: You might book as many nights as you have points for online at 8:00 ET then call at 9:00 to buy the OTU points and add the last night(s). We did that once for VGF for the same reason you have!

Are you going to book only one night or multiple nights? If it's the former, then I think the risk of loosing hte reservation is quite high. VGF rooms are hot at 7 months.
If you are going to book multiple nights, then book as many as you can, then call MS to add the last one using the OTU point. This doesn't guarantee you the last night, but cuts the competition, as only owners or someone who already has a reservation like you spanning into the 7months+1 day window can book that night.

FWIW I haven't gotten VGF at 7 months, but I've gotten it at 3, 2, and less than 1 month out. Don't despair if you don't get it AT 7 months. Keep trying.

We are trying to book for 8 nights, but the 8th night is no longer available. We are going to try to waitlist for that night. My understanding is that you cannot use the one-time points for wait lists. Maybe book for first 6, then add the 7th on later that AM with one-time use points. Or, can I book 7 and call then after to use the points on the 7th night? Thank you so much for the replies!

We are trying to book for 8 nights, but the 8th night is no longer available. We are going to try to waitlist for that night. My understanding is that you cannot use the one-time points for wait lists. Maybe book for first 6, then add the 7th on later that AM with one-time use points. Or, can I book 7 and call then after to use the points on the 7th night? Thank you so much for the replies!

Sorry, you can’t book a stay that “costs” more points than you have. So the best you can do is book 6 nights online, then call later to buy the OTU points & book night #7. If you want a total of 8 nights, you can call the following day to buy more OTU points and book night 8.

If night 8 is not available and you don’t want to borrow (or don’t have any points to borrow) then AFAIK all you can do is stalk the website - I don’t think you can waitlist unless you agree to borrow. Hopefully someone with experience can help here.

Sorry, you can’t book a stay that “costs” more points than you have. So the best you can do is book 6 nights online, then call later to buy the OTU points & book night #7. If you want a total of 8 nights, you can call the following day to buy more OTU points and book night 8.

If night 8 is not available and you don’t want to borrow (or don’t have any points to borrow) then AFAIK all you can do is stalk the website - I don’t think you can waitlist unless you agree to borrow. Hopefully someone with experience can help here.

We do have enough points for all 8 nights, but would like to preserve some points for a future trip at Aulani. I think you may be right that I would have to book 6 nights and then call later that morning for the 7th night.

I could be wrong, but I thought we were limited to a one time per use year purchase of the OTU points.....

Not sure if this could work, correct me if I'm wrong. You could book a random day that requires the same number of points as your 8th night, calling MS and using the OTU points. Then cancel the dummy reservation and ask to reallocate the points so the OTU points are used and some current year points are freed. This way, if the waitlist comes through you have your full booking, otherwise you can bank the points.

I don’t think you can waitlist unless you agree to borrow. Hopefully someone with experience can help here.

Actually with the new booking engine we also got the option to setup a WL without borrowing privileges, with the old one we had to accept to borrow.

You can buy up to 24 OTU points per UY but are not limited to one time buying. IOW you can buy 10 one time and 14 another time in the same UY.

LOL! Okay, that makes sense. I knew there was a once per use year limit of the up to 24 points. Guess because I've never used it, I never thought about splitting up that 24 points within a use year. :cutie:

Actually with the new booking engine we also got the option to setup a WL without borrowing privileges, with the old one we had to accept to borrow.

I'm glad to hear this! I'm looking forward to using the updated booking system (modifying reservations online and setting up WL) but don't want to "experiment" with my current reservations, which required a call to MS followed by a WL!

We do have enough points for all 8 nights, but would like to preserve some points for a future trip at Aulani. I think you may be right that I would have to book 6 nights and then call later that morning for the 7th night.

Can't you just book the 8 nights with your points and then call MS and ask to buy OTU points to swap out for the reservation? I'm almost positive I have done this before.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter