Booking through Disney or Virgin

@Jon84 this virus has highlighted outdated systems on many fronts hasn’t it. Really hope there is some learning from this. From Chester Zoo website crashing to government bodies practically shutting down support as they move available staff to other areas. Some - like supermarkets stepped right up and got organised.

I used to book a complete package with Virgin Holidays, but, for the last seven years it's always been resort and tickets with Disney and flights booked separately. If you do decide to book through VH decline the transportation if you are not using car hire and use the free Disney Magical Express, you get a tidy reduction in the cost and quite frankly, the service is infinitely better. The last time I used VH hotel transportation I had to wait over an hour for a bus, not what you need after a long flight. It doesn't matter where you fly in from, so long as it's Orlando International Airport to a Disney resort you can book DME.

I used to book a complete package with Virgin Holidays, but, for the last seven years it's always been resort and tickets with Disney and flights booked separately. If you do decide to book through VH decline the transportation if you are not using car hire and use the free Disney Magical Express, you get a tidy reduction in the cost and quite frankly, the service is infinitely better. The last time I used VH hotel transportation I had to wait over an hour for a bus, not what you need after a long flight. It doesn't matter where you fly in from, so long as it's Orlando International Airport to a Disney resort you can book DME.
We always have a car - usually stay POFQ so some bus routes tough and we like to go to the Mall etc. Not paid for resort parking yet though so things might change!

@luvpoohandcompany yes it is stressful and that’s not good for health either. We’ve had a number of similar issues and I recently got compensation from Nat West after they accepted they didn’t follow guidelines so keep at it!
Glad you got sorted eventually. I also think our insurance company should be dealing with this not us so not overly impressed there either but fingers crossed eventually we will be sorted!
Prices are up and will probably have to stay up - but have to say previously they’ve always been excellent (certainly the best we’ve used). It’s a terrible time for the aviation industry.
I've always been a huge fan of VA and can't fault their onboard service but they have been truly awful in regards to this issue. I'm happy to wait a while for the money but we just need to be told officially how much it will be for insurance company to process rest of claim. I think it's ridiculous that they are unable/unwilling to do this!
Yeah it's been terrible comms on VA and VS. I get it they are not making any money, so have clearly had to furlough their back office staff who would process the payments. However it shows that they are running on dated systems if they have to get a person to process a refund, and can't let the system deal with the refund.
Luckily for us we are not depending on this money to live on during this time. It's pretty bad though that they won't actually confirm the amount due even when we manage to talk to someone! :rotfl: :thumbsup2
So far voluntary. He is 22 so an adult making his own decisions. I am staying 🤐.
We have a 22yr old son too so totally get it!

@Jon84 this virus has highlighted outdated systems on many fronts hasn’t it. Really hope there is some learning from this. From Chester Zoo website crashing to government bodies practically shutting down support as they move available staff to other areas. Some - like supermarkets stepped right up and got organised.
It has for sure!

At my company we already worked at home alot, had laptops, screens, docks etc at home so we've just been able to work from home full time. All the systems are cloud based so nothing has changed, productivity is the same, and everyone is saving a fortune on train tickets to London, and overpriced London coffee!!

My wife works for the NHS who, to give them their dues, scrabbled to get laptops, VPN logins etc and she can now work from home too. It's been so successful that they've realised they can have more remote working in the future, freeing up space, giving them the ability to close some buildings they lease for ridiculous amounts of money!

I think anywhere with call centres has struggled the most, they were just not prepared for this in their business recovery plans, which through my previous experience, usually rely on moving staff to other locations should the first location be unavailable. With COVID, the only location possible is home!!

Prices are up and will probably have to stay up - but have to say previously they’ve always been excellent (certainly the best we’ve used). It’s a terrible time for the aviation industry.

Prices are up but Virgin's prices are significantly higher than other airlines

We booked our trip for this September through Virgin and our package included free dining and a $200 gift card. They were lovely in store when we booked, but - like everyone else - I can't get through to anyone to discuss a refund or rescheduling. It's still showing as a September flight from Gatwick in my booking page, even though they aren't flying to Orlando until October (I think) & they aren't flying from Gatwick anymore! I'm sure they'll take new bookings though, and maybe their customer service will improve once the chaos is all over. I'm going elsewhere for my next booking, though.

Last time we used DME we waited over half an hour for bus then driver got lost (seriously) and it took us two and half hours to get to POFQ from the airport - actually the time was taken up getting from OKW to POFQ (a distance of 200 yards entrance to entrance). Don't know what he did but we ended up way off Disney property then doing a U-turn then taking wrong turnings, then actually passing through Disney Springs before shooting past our entrance and just making it to the Riverside entrance!

Last time we used DME we waited over half an hour for bus then driver got lost (seriously) and it took us two and half hours to get to POFQ from the airport - actually the time was taken up getting from OKW to POFQ (a distance of 200 yards entrance to entrance). Don't know what he did but we ended up way off Disney property then doing a U-turn then taking wrong turnings, then actually passing through Disney Springs before shooting past our entrance and just making it to the Riverside entrance!
Did you let the front desk know? I've used DME many times without any problems.

Just walked to update that refund finally came through from VA & 119 days for the full amount.
I take it virgin won't be on your list again! What a shame but Bransons companies have always been a glossy facade with rubbish underneath.

In a book of his he mentions a local supermarket chain to me. Says how amazing it is but in reality most people I know loath it, just is a monopoly that means we have no other choice and land banks. No different from the big boys, worse in ways but he sings the praises out of it! Very out of touch bloke.

I take it virgin won't be on your list again! What a shame but Bransons companies have always been a glossy facade with rubbish underneath.

In a book of his he mentions a local supermarket chain to me. Says how amazing it is but in reality most people I know loath it, just is a monopoly that means we have no other choice and land banks. No different from the big boys, worse in ways but he sings the praises out of it! Very out of touch bloke.
Branson's likeable hippy image he cultivated in his early days was always a bit of a joke. The reality is, he is driven by rampant corporate greed. Sadly no different to the majority of the 'heavy hitters' 🤷‍♂️ Pretty grim really

I would only book with Disney or, at a push, Virgin. I have looked at other companies, but, they don't fly into OIA and while Sanford is, by all accounts, a nice airport to fly to and from, the transportation to Disney isn't great.
I used VH when I did full packages and my only real problem was getting phone calls from reps trying to sell add ons, but, I ended up having nice chats with them even after telling them I didn't want the extras. The prices were good, I got what I wanted and I booked with them for 10 years until I started doing separate flights using up my accumulated air miles. I booked a last minute resort only trip with WDTC and haven't gone back to VH.
Regarding other travel companies, one, Thomas Cook, wouldn't allow solo trips, apparently Disney don't do single rooms was their excuse 🤔. I've heard nothing, but, bad about TUI and my experience of their store was terrible, the others were far more expensive. I'm happy with WDTC and would always recommend them as a first option with VH as a second choice.

It's when things go pear-shaped that you find out how good (or bad) a company really is, and 2020 has certainly shone a bright light into places most businesses would rather you didn't look.
Disney has Mickey dancing in that dark corner :worship:

Now if they ran an airline ... :love:
They should think about doing that for the UK instead of subcontracting it out to VA and BA

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter