Booking USO rooms by night seems cheaper than booking entire stay

peacefrogdog

DIS Veteran
I noticed something curious when accidentally selecting the wrong dates for a USO hotel booking (directly from their site)

I'm looking to book a stay at HRH from Jan 24-27, 2024.

I noticed that if doing the usual booking for all 3 nights, the total ends up being more expensive compared to booking 2+1 or 1+1+1. I've never priced this out with other hotels to know if this is just something to do with booking engines in general, or specific to USO.

I'm wondering if booking each night separately, that they would then expect you to check out at 11 and not be able to check in again until 4? Or alternatively if asking to link the separate reservations, the cost would just revert to the higher price?

Has anyone else encountered this?

I noticed something curious when accidentally selecting the wrong dates for a USO hotel booking (directly from their site)

I'm looking to book a stay at HRH from Jan 24-27, 2024.

I noticed that if doing the usual booking for all 3 nights, the total ends up being more expensive compared to booking 2+1 or 1+1+1. I've never priced this out with other hotels to know if this is just something to do with booking engines in general, or specific to USO.

I'm wondering if booking each night separately, that they would then expect you to check out at 11 and not be able to check in again until 4? Or alternatively if asking to link the separate reservations, the cost would just revert to the higher price?

Has anyone else encountered this?
Not specifically at Universal, but at many other hotels, including Disney. It can be due to things like a promotion that doesn’t cover all of your nights or if your stay includes a weekend or holiday.

You have enough time before your trip that I would book it whatever way is cheapest and then call Universal to either link the reservations together, or at least put a note on them that you have a continuing reservation. You will probably have to visit the front desk or check in separately for each reservation, but if they know ahead of time that you aren’t physically checking out, you should be able to keep the same room for the whole stay. I have done this at Disney and a few Hilton properties and although they always say there is no guarantee you won’t have to change rooms, I haven’t had to yet (knocking on wood).

Yeah they will usually let you keep the same room (assuming its the same type) - but you have to check out/in and get new keys so that is a slight PITA depending on you plans for that day

It all depends on if you are feeling lucky IMO. I’m a gambling sort but, wouldn’t do it on a vacation where I just want to be able to relax knowing I’m in the same room.

as stated, three separate reservations necessitates each day visiting the desk for another checkin in the AM. That would include the security deposit.

if low season, maybe I’d feel differently, naw lol. Would never dream of doing it over busy periods, especially HHN and holidays.

It all depends on if you are feeling lucky IMO. I’m a gambling sort but, wouldn’t do it on a vacation where I just want to be able to relax knowing I’m in the same room.

as stated, three separate reservations necessitates each day visiting the desk for another checkin in the AM. That would include the security deposit.

if low season, maybe I’d feel differently, naw lol. Would never dream of doing it over busy periods, especially HHN and holidays.
The hotel wants to keep you in the same room. Getting a new key isn't a big deal. Makes sense if you're saving hundreds of dollars.

I just called about this a couple of weeks ago, and they told me they couldn't link or merge reservations if I booked nights separately and that I would have to check out and check back in for each different booking. I found that really weird as I've never had issues with doing this at others hotels, but they confirmed it couldn't be done.

Something else to think about, I didn't ask specially, but when I was researching, I came across people reporting they were told the hotels couldn't guarantee that you wouldn't have to change rooms either. It seemed rare but a possibility if it is the same room type but a different rate type. Something to do with how the system pre-assigns the rooms ahead of time since it doesn't let you link them. It basically sees them all as separate reservations, so it might be one night available in room #1 and one night in room #7. I decided I didn't want to take the chance.

I just called about this a couple of weeks ago, and they told me they couldn't link or merge reservations if I booked nights separately and that I would have to check out and check back in for each different booking. I found that really weird as I've never had issues with doing this at others hotels, but they confirmed it couldn't be done.

Something else to think about, I didn't ask specially, but when I was researching, I came across people reporting they were told the hotels couldn't guarantee that you wouldn't have to change rooms either. It seemed rare but a possibility if it is the same room type but a different rate type. Something to do with how the system pre-assigns the rooms ahead of time since it doesn't let you link them. It basically sees them all as separate reservations, so it might be one night available in room #1 and one night in room #7. I decided I didn't want to take the chance.
Yeah its possible things might not line up for them especially when its busy and people are staying one or two nights and others 5 or 7.

May also be the reason you cant always book 5 nights but you can book a bunch of one night stays at a lower rate - they know they don't have one room for all 5 nights - but they have a bunch of scattered rooms that are available for one or two nights.

They will try to work with you in my experience, but sometimes there is nothing they can do.

On the flip side I had a 2 night stay at dockside with an AP rate ($100) and a 1 night at full rack rate ($200 - Friday during HHN)
When I checked in they said NP and added one night to the 2 night stay at the AP rate and will refund the one night at rack rate. Of course now I have to acutely get that refund which is another can or worms I need to deal with.
So Universal/Lowes will do what they can to take care of you.

I stayed at Royal Pacific last week for 5 nights under 3 different reservations, and I just went to the front desk at 6am at the end of each reservation to get new keys to the same room. It was easy.

I stayed at Royal Pacific last week for 5 nights under 3 different reservations, and I just went to the front desk at 6am at the end of each reservation to get new keys to the same room. It was easy.

Did you happen to be up at 6 AM, or was that a requirement of the front desk in order to keep the same room?

Did you happen to be up at 6 AM, or was that a requirement of the front desk in order to keep the same room?
I'm pretty sure as long as you get to them by checkout time you are ok - but Id let them know at check-in so they can note it. The main thing is they have to give you new keys.

That worked out very well for me as I had two nights at the AP rate and one night at rack rate and I let them know at check in.
They ended up adding an extra night to my AP rate room and refunded the rack rate saving me 100+ dollars and I did not have to check in and out which was great as I had a tight schedule that day.

When I went in October 2022, I originally booked 3 nights but wanted to add a 4th at the beginning. There was a single room available for the night, but I could not book the 4 nights. So I booked the first night separately. When I went to check in for the first night, I mentioned that I had another reservation for the next 3 nights, and the front desk said that they were already aware (I don't know how!) and they had linked the reservations. I did have to go down and get new cards the first morning of the second reservation.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter