Booking with my DVC points for 2021...

Tony

Mouseketeer
Wondering if I can tap the collective knowledge here...

We have a March use year and roll our points up for 2-3 years at a time. Plan had been to go to Florida in July 2021, using our banked points, the then current UY and borrowed points as necessary.

Now a few things..
1) I believe we can only borrow 50% of the points from the following UY. OK can live with that
2) Park reservations. We need to buy park tickets to get the park reservations - is that right?
3) What happens if between shelling out £2k or so for the park tickets and July 2021, the situation doesn't permit travel?

Part of me thinks the best thing to do is to look at putting the points into the rental market now, then if everything is OK come next May/June, looking at what we can book for cash - and if we can get park reservations - before committing. The kids are quite a bit older than when we bought in, so whilst the villas are nice, we can always work with a couple of hotel rooms, instead. I'm also not sure how easy it would be to walk round in the 110% humidity with a face mask on...

Any thoughts? Pretty sure I won't be the only one with this conundrum.

Thanks in advance

July 2021 is a long way away. Who knows what might be happening by then. It probably won't be the current system, we can probably all agree on that. I'd be in no rush to buy those tickets right now.

Current DVC rules allow un-borrowing, but that could change at any time. When booking this, I'd try not to borrow, just for right now. You can always add on the ends and borrow then.

The park tickets we booked for an extra £10 each gave us free cancellation.

pm me if you want any other details or the company we used

DVC member with March UY also.

Booked for Oct 2021 using banking 2020 points, 2021 points and borrowed 50% of 2022 points. Yes max you can borrow is 50% (currently anyway).

Park tickets bought through either Disney or 3rd party can be linked to your reservation on MDE.We have linked our DVC reservation to MDE and are going to just wait until next year to buy park tickets as hoping they bring back 21 day ultimate ticket (going for 17 nights). If not, will have to buy a 14 day ticket which is currently available.

currently you need to have a park ticket to make park reservations, but again this May all change next year. I wouldn’t be too stressed about making park reservations now as Disney is only at 25% capacity. It should be back to 100 by mid/late next year.
If you are to buy park tickets now, I would just check the t&c’s to make sure you can change the dates or get a refund etc etc

as I said we have booked with our points and are just going to see what unfolds between now and say 6 months before our check in date as this is when we would want to start making dining reservations.

The rental market has a glut of surplus points which has devalued them for the short term. I'd be looking into changeable/refundable tickets and using my points to make a reservation. You can always cancel and re think before the 30 day mark.

So just to update, we decided the US was likely to be off the cards for much of 2021, put our points on the rental market with a broker and they have just been shifted. If the situation changes I can still tap 318 points for next summer, but at least that's the annual dues covered 8-)

Thanks all for the advice.

So just to update, we decided the US was likely to be off the cards for much of 2021, put our points on the rental market with a broker and they have just been shifted. If the situation changes I can still tap 318 points for next summer, but at least that's the annual dues covered 8-)

Thanks all for the advice.
which broker did you use?

We used David’s- because they’re in Canada and we’re in the uk, the withholding tax doesn’t come into it. I figured despite the change in David’s terms, it was still the best option for us.

that's who we used last year. I was very happy with them
so far we haven't heard anything about our points this year, but i know they're flooded with points, so i need to be patient.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter