Books

Do you get books from the library, buy them, borrow them from friends? Do you like paper books or do you prefer e - readers?

I am a reader. I always have a book (or 3) to read. Lucky for me I work right by our local library. I order books online and pop in the pick them up after work. Thankfully our county library "shares" with two neighboring county library's, so I can usually find the book I want. If I know an author I read regularly has an upcoming release I try to get it on my list so I don't have to wait. Right now I am #301 for a book, so it will be awhile before I get that one. And yes it is paper books for me almost exclusively. I have downloaded books and read on my ipad mini and it's okay. But I like "real books" more.
I am an avid reader, have been since I was a little girl. I prefer reading from paper books, but I have a Nook that my husband bought me for Christmas years ago. It sits in a drawer in my nightstand, lol. I borrow from the library but I buy hardcover books like cookbooks, Harry Potter series, etc. I use to borrow from friends, my mom and sister. I stopped doing that when friends failed to return the books to me, still mad about Little House on the Prairie, I need to buy a few to complete my set again. I volunteer at my local library so I've always got books on hold. I have two that are ready to pick up and I haven't finished the one I checked out already, hate it when that happens! I also keep track of my books on goodreads.com because sometimes I forget what I've read. I'm participating in their yearly reading challenge, my goal is fifty books.

I, too, am a reader. I read all kinds of things, and I LOVE books. Unfortunately, with my age and vision, it's almost impossible for me to read an actual book, especially when lying down in bed. Glasses on, glasses off, at the end of my nose or arm's length away, there is just no good way for me to read a book anymore. I have a Nook that has solved the problem, but I don't enjoy reading on electronic devices. Even at work I print out things I need to read- articles, papers, lab reports. I am a hard-copy girl in an electronic world. As much as I hate having to read via Nook, I am thankful that the opportunity exists; I can't imagine never being able to read again!

I, too, am a reader. I read all kinds of things, and I LOVE books. Unfortunately, with my age and vision, it's almost impossible for me to read an actual book, especially when lying down in bed. Glasses on, glasses off, at the end of my nose or arm's length away, there is just no good way for me to read a book anymore. I have a Nook that has solved the problem, but I don't enjoy reading on electronic devices. Even at work I print out things I need to read- articles, papers, lab reports. I am a hard-copy girl in an electronic world. As much as I hate having to read via Nook, I am thankful that the opportunity exists; I can't imagine never being able to read again!
It took a lot of toying around with the back light settings, font sizes and other things before I could read on my Kindle comfortably. I hated it at first but I either finally just accepted that it is what it is or I found a way to make it work. I'm with you though, I'm glad I have a way to continue to enjoy reading.

This is my absolute favorite used book store:

http://www.brattlebookshop.com/

I don't get there often, but when I worked in the city, I went waaaaay too much. :hyper:

There's a cute small one in a town near me as well, but it's kind of half used books and half gift shop. - I enjoy it, but I can't say I actually save any money. :laughing:

That looks like the type of place I used to spend a lot of time browsing in, and always buying at too. There are fewer and fewer of them around. Though now it would have to be something really special for me to bring it home. I haven’t been able to part with many books yet, but am trying to stabilize it!

My local library has a big book sale every spring, accepting donations from residents. I volunteered for it, and it was very hard for me to resist temptation. I curtailed the habit by selecting maybe a dozen or two that I said if they aren’t gone by the end, I will buy them. Luckily they were all sold, but I did keep my eye on them over the course of the multi-day sale!

I have Kindle Unlimited, so I read on my old Kindle (good for outdoors in sunlight) and on my Kindle Fire. Also read on my iPad sometimes. I still buy the occasional book in stores as well.

My Mother (89) still buys hardback and paperbacks at Barnes and Nobles. One of my sisters drives her there once a month so we always give her a couple of titles so she can buy for us. :)

My oldest DS gave me his Kindle years back but I still like the "real" book feel.

So my lovely kind of books - how to impore yourself and education and trying to buy a paper version..

I don't read too often for fun anymore. ~20 years ago my grandmother owned a new/used bookstore and she'd send me books regularly and I'd send them back once finished. The public library where I was living was small and hours were limited so this worked great.

These days if I read it's often rereading something I already have or I buy and download it to my Kindle. The public library is almost a 30 minute drive away (all stoplights), so it's rarely worth my time to go there. If we had one closer with decent hours I'd probably visit more. I think it's been a solid 10+ years since I regularly checked anything out from a library. When I did it was because it was less than 10 minutes away.

I don't read too often for fun anymore. ~20 years ago my grandmother owned a new/used bookstore and she'd send me books regularly and I'd send them back once finished. The public library where I was living was small and hours were limited so this worked great.

These days if I read it's often rereading something I already have or I buy and download it to my Kindle. The public library is almost a 30 minute drive away (all stoplights), so it's rarely worth my time to go there. If we had one closer with decent hours I'd probably visit more. I think it's been a solid 10+ years since I regularly checked anything out from a library. When I did it was because it was less than 10 minutes away.
Your library doesn't offer ebooks you can download from their website without having to go to the library in person?

The only time I buy books is when it is for a bible study & I know I will be highlighting/making notes in them. My counties library headquarters is on my way to work & it is part of a state wide lending system so anything I want can be put on hold & delivered there. I discovered my first public library about 2 blocks from my home when I was about 10 years old & would spend hours there several times a week. I don't spend hours there anymore but do love to go in & browse at times.

Um, all of the above?! :rotfl2:

I get most of my books from the library. Mine belongs to a pretty good network, and I love ordering on line and just picking them up.

But I do also buy books, and my dream home would have an entire room full of bookshelves!

I don't see as much passing around books as I used to, but my MIL and I do share sometimes.

I read paper books more, and I love the feel and even the smell, but I also like that I can take the entire Harry potter series on vacation with me as eBooks. :wizard:

I generally have at least two books going at once, usually three - something lighter upstairs that I read before bed, generally a non-fiction downstairs, and something in car to fill in unexpected wait times. (That one used to come in handy when DS was younger and I was waiting outside activities to pick him up.)

I just started The Library Book, by Susan Orlean.
Oh, I loved that!

Avid reader and use all of the choices. I rarely buy a paper copy anymore-our library system is wonderful. I belong to a couple of daily ebook alerts that feature titles on sale. If I see one I like I splurge occasionally. I also download titles from the library. Worked in a library for over 20 years and think e readers are one of the best innovations ever.

All of the above. Buy Kindle books online, borrow paper books from the library, borrow eBooks from the library, download audibooks (both paid and library). I don't buy too many paper books from the store anymore, only in special cases.

That being said I do not have the time to read that I used to. I do read all day every day at work, but that's not what I'd call enjoyable.

I read exclusively on my Kindle, I love that I can carry around a library's worth of books wherever I go.
I get a lot from my library and mostly the freebies on Amazon. I rarely pay for a book these days but I did gift myself Kindle Unlimited when it was like 40% off but I won't be renewing it this year.

The only actual books I purchase are cookbooks.

Borrow from the library. If the library has them in print and e-book, I prefer the printed copy...but if I can't wait, I'll get the e-book.

I'm a book person. While I understand (and will grudgingly acknowledge) the usefulness of electronic readers, I just love the feel of an actual book in my hands. There's just something about the feel and smell of a book.

I get my books from my local library. I also get used books from 2nd & Charles. They always have a good selection.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter