Books

I’m always reading something. I just went on a long ebook stretch and wanted a real book in my hands, so I picked up 4 at the library. :)

I also think buying books is generally a waste. I don’t have room for many more. I always preorder certain authors’ new releases, though.

Get most of the books that I want to keep on my Nook. The exception being cookbooks . If I want to read but not keep it I go to the library like I did before.

I read two books back to back last week and was highly disappointed the third in the series wasn’t out yet.
Better than what I had done (more than once) got half way through a book BEFORE I realized that it was a series and that this was in the middle of it.

I like to read on my Kindle, but for some reason Im just not reading now
I've gone through period like that too. The last few years I have been a reading machine.

I used to buy a good number of books, especially used older ones. But for some time now I have been trying to not accumulate “stuff”, so have been using the library. My local library is part of a group of 77 public libraries and items are shipped between them as requested. I keep saying I will try digital (it is offered by the library system), but haven’t done so yet.

I get my books from the library. I confess that I read a lot of trashy bodice-ripping paperback romances along with weightier matter (and I love reading them), and my library has a wide selection and is continually adding new ones so it makes more sense to me to read them for free. If I really enjoy a book to the extent that I find myself checking it out multiple times, I buy it from Amazon. Such was the case with my favorite book, Memoirs of a Geisha by Arthur Golden. Oh! And my library has a book sale every October and I buy books to support them.

Do you get books from the library, buy them, borrow them from friends? Do you like paper books or do you prefer e - readers?

Um, all of the above?! :rotfl2:

I get most of my books from the library. Mine belongs to a pretty good network, and I love ordering on line and just picking them up.

But I do also buy books, and my dream home would have an entire room full of bookshelves!

I don't see as much passing around books as I used to, but my MIL and I do share sometimes.

I read paper books more, and I love the feel and even the smell, but I also like that I can take the entire Harry potter series on vacation with me as eBooks. :wizard:

I generally have at least two books going at once, usually three - something lighter upstairs that I read before bed, generally a non-fiction downstairs, and something in car to fill in unexpected wait times. (That one used to come in handy when DS was younger and I was waiting outside activities to pick him up.)

I just started The Library Book, by Susan Orlean.

The used book store a few miles from me closed a few years ago so that kind of forced me to change the way I purchased and/or read books.
The only one left here (that I know of) is smack in the middle of town so at least a 20 mile drive for me. If memory serves their prices weren’t *that* much better for newer novels. $5.50 vs $7.50 and trade ins were pennies, like .40 a book.

The only one left here (that I know of) is smack in the middle of town so at least a 20 mile drive for me. If memory serves their prices weren’t *that* much better for newer novels. $5.50 vs $7.50 and trade ins were pennies, like .40 a book.
You know, now that you mention it, I remember their prices weren't that great either! :) And trade ins were about the same as you mention as well. I liked going there because they had a great selection in the non-fiction genre and I enjoy reading life stories, memoirs, and a bit of true crime. I just had to find different ways to get them once they closed. My kids gifted me a Kindle Fire for Christmas one year and I really struggled with using it because it just felt "wrong". I've grown to like it now though, and I'm really glad I finally took the time to learn it and enjoy it. As long as my aging eyes can keep up I'll continue to read.

Like Floridaman999 I no longer have a used bookstore near me, which is where I used to get most of my books. I mostly read on either my Kindle or my iPad now and subscribe to Kindle Unlimited. Every once and awhile I will pick up a paperback but I will pass it on to someone else when I am done with it, as I purged most of my book collection and rarely re-read a book.

I do find that I'm enjoying podcasts more an more these days instead of reading. I listen to them when I'm cycling and hiking. They allow me to stay active while still enjoying some content. I have a few audio books that I have loaded up but I haven't gotten to them yet. All in time I suppose.

The used book store a few miles from me closed a few years ago so that kind of forced me to change the way I purchased and/or read books.
Same. I would walk in with two large bags of books and leave with two bags of new books to read, barely spending a dime unless DD found some full price books that she wanted. When that used bookstore closed, it took me a couple of years to find another three towns away. So that began my Amazon used book shopping. Half.com was pretty good too. A few new used book stores have popped up, so I am back at it again.

I tried reading on my Kindle and it gave me headaches. Plus, I just love to hold a book in my hand, old school.

On the rare occasion that I buy a new book, it’s usually a keeper that I will read again one day. It’s fun to revisit old friends.

This is my absolute favorite used book store:

http://www.brattlebookshop.com/

I don't get there often, but when I worked in the city, I went waaaaay too much. :hyper:

There's a cute small one in a town near me as well, but it's kind of half used books and half gift shop. - I enjoy it, but I can't say I actually save any money. :laughing:
I'd get lost, and enjoy every minute of it, in a book store like that. :)

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter