Boorish behavior

Oh my gosh, this happens to us every cruise. There really should be a sign up in Cabanas that there is no single line for the buffet and it's ok to hop around. I'm so tired of dirty looks from people. I'm not at all confrontational so I let people go ahead of me just to diffuse the situation.
This reminds me of a funny family tale. My niece, as a little girl, looked like an angel, dainty, pink cheeks, head full of curly hair. But this little angel has two older brothers and is quite, well, assertive (bossy). On her second Disney Cruise, she was about 7. We boarded the Dream with her dressed as Belle with a red Flash superhero cape. Yes, she put the outfit together. All of her princess dresses were worn with her brothers’ superhero capes.

While at Cabanas, we got separated from her, as she was checking out all the pods before she chose to fill her plate. Someone, evidently, accused her of cutting in the buffet line, as we heard her announce “Nope, I’m right, You are doing it wrong”. As I hurried over to see what was going on, my niece in her cute little Belle dress, loudly said to a CM who was close by, “Sir, could you please explain to them how Cabanas works?” With a big princess like wave of her arm at the people around her.

Some people laughed and the CM said, “Yes, princess, as you wish”. I blamed it on the cape.

:thumbsup2 I am SO glad to know I'm not the only person that liked the old bit better. Even though I am observant enough to see some of the upsides to the new Cabanas setup, I find it SUPER chaotic if it's at all busy. People are crisscrossing back and forth and the stations force one to wander for some time through the crowds to even know what's what and where. JMHO..... :goodvibes

And it becomes a super problem for someone like my husband who has mobility issues! He gets shoved around and pushed, which is NOT okay. I've actually watched people reach in front of him and over him to get what they want instead of saying excuse me or waiting. Humanity.....:crazy2:

And it becomes a super problem for someone like my husband who has mobility issues! He gets shoved around and pushed, which is NOT okay. I've actually watched people reach in front of him and over him to get what they want instead of saying excuse me or waiting. Humanity.....:crazy2:

Yikes. Really?? That is awful. :sad2:

In a large public bathroom, some people form a lineup for the next available stall. And some others form a line at each stall waiting for it to open. That's what I imagine these buffets are like in both cases ;)

I think it should be 1 line for bathrooms and 1 line for self checkout. Most efficient and fair way for everyone. And if the one line system is established there is no way someone is going to wander up to the front and plead ignorance.

Last edited:

Yikes. Really?? That is awful. :sad2:

It was his first time after his diagnosis and I cried when I saw how he was treated. It just made my mouth drop how rude people can be!

I think it should be 1 line for bathrooms and 1 line for self checkout. Most efficient and fair way for everyone. And if the one line system is established there is no way someone is going to wander up to the front and plead ignorance.

Agreed! Because it never fails that if I change lines, then the one I just got out of starts moving LOL

We got back from the Magic recently and I have to say it was one of our nicest guest experiences yet and I credit it all due to being the inaugural Bermuda cruise and therefore a lot of repeat disney cruisers..... that said I observed two annoying examples of rude behavior by guests.

1. The first was on day 1 when I noticed there was a line of people organized by the aft elevators and it was starting to crowd up around the bathrooms and RRT. I was traveling with my mobility limited parents so I took my two little kids with me to the far side of the elevators so my parents and husband could remain in line. I was essentially trying to get them out of the way of the crowding that was going on due to the formation of this elevator line (it wasn't a long line at all, but apparently formed smack dab in all of the traffic going to RRT and bathrooms). So this guy announces loudly, "Um there's a LINE for the elevators" in a loud and rude tone. My kids got a little scared and my husband and dad looked like they were ready to drop him but I politely responded in my calm and very gracious tone, "Oh I know, I am not going to cut you in line, I'm trying to get my kids out of the way of the crowds, my parents are right behind you, holding our place in line"... he shut up real quickly and made total a** out of himself.

I understand pet peeves with line cutters, I too think it's rude, but sometimes there is more to the story than assuming people are blatantly trying to cut a line, lots of times I appeared to be cutting a line but it was only because I was moving between my father who needed to sit and checking in with my mom who was holding our place in line as an example. And who the heck cares at the end of the day really? You're on vacation, where are you in a hurry to?

2. A nice family of 4 were sitting in front of us at Tangled and as we all know that place gets really busy. It was the family's first time cruising as we learned through a nice chat. At one point the husband had to get up to get the kids a popcorn or something and some snotty lady walks by their row, (right at 8:28 btw) and asks about the seat being free and the mom innocently replies, "no, it's my husband's seat, he should return shortly" to which the snotty lady replied, "You know you really aren't supposed to save seats!" all snotty and in front of this lady's kids... so i jumped in, all wine-d up LOL and said in a very strong and I'm not playing around tone, "Her husband is in the bathroom, he'll be back quickly" and that shut the snotty lady up and she kept on moving about her way.

I have seen people saving 5 seats, 7 seats all at once and I think it's rude as hell and I'm totes fine with Ms. Snotty yelling at those people, but when you trapes in about 2 min before the show starts and looking to start a fight with a nice mom and two young kids, I think you're total jerk... this new cruiser's magic could have been ruined.

anyways good thread :)

In a large public bathroom, some people form a lineup for the next available stall. And some others form a line at each stall waiting for it to open. That's what I imagine these buffets are like in both cases ;)

I am so interested in this. I have never seen multiple lines in either of these situations! I'm curious if you are from the same area.

PS - I would also be the one who got the slowest line, so I'm happy with the single.

I am so interested in this. I have never seen multiple lines in either of these situations! I'm curious if you are from the same area.

PS - I would also be the one who got the slowest line, so I'm happy with the single.

Yeah. I have never seen multiple lines at bathrooms.

I have seen a general area at self check-outs, but by and large here in NYC there are either designations for one line or people do it naturally.

I am so interested in this. I have never seen multiple lines in either of these situations!
A whole busload of Japanese tourists entered the washroom while we Canadians were patiently waiting in one line (this was in Banff National Park). They each proceeded to pick a stall to wait right outside its door for the occupant to finish and exit. They must have thought we were all crazy to be waiting for the first stall like that lol. I don't know...it would freak me out seeing feet waiting for me!!!

Someone needs to invent a lounge chair that has a built in timer meter. Basically it would work just like a parking meter but instead of inserting money, you would have to swipe your room key every 30 minutes or so to keep using the chair. If it isn't swiped, a red flag would be raised and the CM's would then gather up anything left behind, thus freeing up the seat for others. It would eliminate the saving of seats for hours where no one was really using them.

I've seen both happen in various situations. Usually if there's a left and right side, sometimes people will line up on both sides and glare at each other. Or, another variance, tandem cashier's some folks will walk past the line to wait for the second cashier. I suppose thinking to themselves, "Chumps waiting in that long line when there's no one in this one up here! Suckers!" Now I'm a guy, so the whole waiting in line for a bathroom doesn't happen that often, but if it does and there's a couple of groups of urinals, or urinals and stalls then multi line situations develop. With each line being fairly certain they should be the only line lol.

My family went on the Dream around a month ago and we saw some questionable behavior by some other individuals regarding the saving of seats.

Both of the events took place during the showing of Beauty and the Beast. The first was on the first floor. We were on the 2nd floor balcony so we didn't see or hear it directly, but heard from rumors that apparently one guy punched another guy in regards to saving seats. The story that went around was that one guy was saving seats and another guy comes up asking if they're taken, the guy says he's saving them and the 2nd guy and his wife say that they aren't supposed to be any saving of seats. Somehow, something gets out of hand because all we hear from the upper level is a scream and shortly afterwards the Assistant Cruise Director comes on the loudspeaker and announces that there is no saving of seats, to which the entire theater applauded.

At around the same time, up on the 2nd level where we are, there is a woman saving about 2 seats on each side of her and a family of 3 come in asking if they could place their daughter, who was probably around 8 or 9, in one of those seats, there were 2 seats in the row behind so they said they would sit there. The woman saving them, however, was saying that she was saving them. The woman did point out the policy but the woman saving the seats just paid her no mind. And then when they did the announcement, the woman just placed her daughter in the row, it was the front row of the balcony, and was just going to leave her there. Then I guess she thought better than to leave her daughter sitting there by herself, so she just had her daughter sit on her lap.

I will admit that we have saved seats before, but it was only 2 and there were already 5 members of my family there, well 4 adults and 1 child. The other 2, my brother and dad, were getting changed after riding the Aquaduck shortly before the show. They did come up around 5 minutes after they opened the doors for the 8:30pm show, but we have seen other instances during the shows of people saving seats right up until the show begins and for some of those people to ultimately not show up.

As for Cabanas, I, too, have seen people lining up. I only typically ever lined up if there was something at the first station and people were standing in my way and the line wasn't that short. Other than that, I frequently walked around the buffet stations to find what I wanted, jumping in when there were huge gaps so as I wouldn't get in anyone's way.

Someone needs to invent a lounge chair that has a built in timer meter. Basically it would work just like a parking meter but instead of inserting money, you would have to swipe your room key every 30 minutes or so to keep using the chair. If it isn't swiped, a red flag would be raised and the CM's would then gather up anything left behind, thus freeing up the seat for others. It would eliminate the saving of seats for hours where no one was really using them.
Or maybe if there isn't a butt in the chair take it!

It is much better to have a smaller line at each of the pods then one huge line waiting for just a few stations. Let's face it, how many people get food at every single station? It definitely would work better if people actually did this instead some lining up at the end and some going to certain stations. I think DCL needs to do a better job of telling people not to line up like that and that you just got to the station that you actually want food in. Maybe with the new ships they can figure out how to set it up better to make it obvious.

I was sooo grateful for disboards alerting me to this system before my first cruise. My husband ended up being quarantined, leaving me to fetch food for my three little ones (all of whom are two small to carry their plates without tipping the contents all over the floor). I was eternally grateful that I could just find a table near the food items they like, buckle little guy in a high chair, duck over and and grab some food QUICK while keeping an eye on them, and beeline back to the table before one of twins could run off. If it was a single line system where I had to go get in line all the way at the end, I would have had to get in line with the two older kids, carry my toddler, and juggle all four plates on one arm.

This makes me feel SO ANGRY. UGH. I am very sorry this happened. Hugs to you both.

I heartily agree--I hope it's not too out of place to share a Disneyland story rather than a DCL one, but others have done, so....

On the trip I took with my housemate last fall, late in our stay we were in line for the Indiana Jones ride one evening. The standby line was at more than an hour and a half. If you've ridden it, remember the part of the queue that runs parallel to the exit hallway? Well, as we were making our way up that part of the queue, we saw a group of three go jogging up the exit hallway...and when they reached the point where the queue and exit part ways, they ducked under the barrier literally right in front of us. We ended up listening to them loudly congratulating each other for several long, loooong minutes because we were afraid to confront them directly and potentially start a row before we came to a part of the queue where a CM happened to be assisting another group, flagged her down and waited for her to finish what she was doing, then told her what had happened (her immediate response was an "Oh, really?" that made it pretty clear she wasn't going to let that fly). She let us know she'd handle it and disappeared off to wherever CMs disappear off to, and we spent another fifteen or twenty minutes in line behind these people before we reached an area with a CM access point on one side. A different CM was there and called out for a "group of three" like she was requesting a group to fill a spot at just exactly the right moment to snag the group, got them out of the main queue, and then told them they were being kicked out of line because "we saw you cut in line." And I mean she made it sound like the CMs had seen it, without implicating us at all.

It was all handled very, very smoothly. I'd guess that they probably went to check the security videos to verify our story (as they should), plus the method for removing the group from the line was shockingly effective at preventing any kind of scene. As people who are very conflict-averse we were hesitant at first to even tell anyone what had happened, but I'm so glad we did. I hate to think if they'd gotten to ride the ride and had learned that they could get away with that kind of behavior.

Edit: What I was going to add, though, and forgot: this was literally the only time we saw someone behaving really badly in Disneyland throughout the entire week we were there. There may have been a few moments of people being cranky or whatever, but this was the one and only time we saw anyone deliberately do something against the rules or against general etiquette.
My GF and I had a younger couple in front of us for the Roger Rabbit’s Cartoon Spin queue last fall making out super heavy. I kept thinking they were stopping and then they would get after each other again. I finally tapped him on the shoulder and leaned in and said “you wanna knock that off? There are kids here.” He turned around with a cocky smirk on his face which washed away as he tilted his head back to look up at me. They kept their hands and mouths to themselves the rest of the line.

I don’t like that my size is intimidating most of the time. I’m pretty much a giant teddy bear, but it was nice that they chilled out afterwards.

I was sooo grateful for disboards alerting me to this system before my first cruise. My husband ended up being quarantined, leaving me to fetch food for my three little ones (all of whom are two small to carry their plates without tipping the contents all over the floor). I was eternally grateful that I could just find a table near the food items they like, buckle little guy in a high chair, duck over and and grab some food QUICK while keeping an eye on them, and beeline back to the table before one of twins could run off. If it was a single line system where I had to go get in line all the way at the end, I would have had to get in line with the two older kids, carry my toddler, and juggle all four plates on one arm.
Little off topic but if someone is quarantined in your cabin, you can get MDR meals ordered and delivered to your room and do not need to stick to the room service menu.

The reason I like the multiple lines in Cabanas...
On one of our early Disney cruises we were in Cabanas (before multiple lines). There was a lady in front of us with a little boy. When she got to the bacon she picked up one piece (with the tongs) and said is this one good? 10 pieces later they decided on the perfect piece of bacon. The proceeded to do this with various items throughout the buffet oblivious to the people behind them.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!