Boorish behavior

I would only do that if I didn't see anyone near a lounge for a long time and it only had a towel or something cheap on it. I wouldn't just take a seat since the person might actually be in the pool or the restroom at the time.

thank you! We just got off the fantasy and people take this "YOU CAN'T SAVE SEATS!!1!" things way too serious. . . In theater, my son went to the bathroom and latecomers wanted his seat. I politely said "oh, this is my son's seat - he just went to potty " (8 years ago, I never thought I would ever use the word 'potty' as a 40 yr old male :) ) -- anyway, she says "You aren't supposed to save seats" so I asked her "Should I just let me son look for a seat by himself b/c you came in late and need seats?" -- of course she didnt respond...

Deck 12 family pool deck near funnel puddle... wife is in the sun, son and I are in the shade - one open lounger to his right. He gets up to get ice cream - immediately a lady comes over and takes the open lounger, waves her husband over, and tells me to move my sons towel and crocs so her husband can have the seat. I look at her in surprise and say "Excuse me?" She says "No one is sitting here and my husband wants to sit there" - I chuckle and say "No, my son just got up to get ice cream... he'll be back in a few minutes" of course she says "YOU CAN"T SAVE SEATS!" and stomps away...

This happens almost every cruise. Perhaps people just really want to sit by me :)

I understand pet peeves with line cutters, I too think it's rude, but sometimes there is more to the story than assuming people are blatantly trying to cut a line, lots of times I appeared to be cutting a line but it was only because I was moving between my father who needed to sit and checking in with my mom who was holding our place in line as an example. And who the heck cares at the end of the day really? You're on vacation, where are you in a hurry to?

While I agree that we should all try to have a little more forbearance with each other (especially when we don't know others' challenges or circumstances), I have to disagree when you say that it's no big deal to be cut in line because there's no need to rush anyway. There is so freaking much to do on a Disney cruise that if I get held up unnecessarily or unfairly that I feel that valuable time is being wasted and that it might cause me to miss out on something I wanted to do. That being said, I typically don't make a scene or return rudeness with more rudeness...I usually just shake my head and move on.

Note that Disney cruises are a rare luxury for my family, so I'm probably a bit more sensitive to that sort of thing than someone who gets to sail all the time.

The reason I like the multiple lines in Cabanas...
On one of our early Disney cruises we were in Cabanas (before multiple lines). There was a lady in front of us with a little boy. When she got to the bacon she picked up one piece (with the tongs) and said is this one good? 10 pieces later they decided on the perfect piece of bacon. The proceeded to do this with various items throughout the buffet oblivious to the people behind them.

o_O o_O o_O :rotfl2: WOW. People be crazy. It is really unbelievable how much folks can seem to live in their own little bubble/world and be ENTIRELY incognizant of anyone else around them. Consideration for others is increasingly rare IMO. So sad. :sad1:

We just got off the fantasy and people take this "YOU CAN'T SAVE SEATS!!1!" things way too serious. . .
Honestly, this was my least favorite part about my first Disney cruise. We are going on another in December, but we had various conflicts over "no saving seats" in the theater and pool deck. You should be able to sit down before the show and then get up to go to the bathroom without someone saying something. To avoid conflict, we have to wait for the show to start to go to the bathroom? It is not always possible for a party of nine to synchronize their bathroom needs before the show starts and tell them they can't get up until the show is over.

Edited to add: when I said various conflicts, it was really only two conflicts with this couple. They were really berating us at the theater and it was uncomfortable. Then two days later, I was on the pool deck and saw one of them show up alone and put four towels onto chairs. I laughed and shook my head and made them angry.

Last edited:
Edited to add: when I said various conflicts, it was really only two conflicts with this couple. They were really berating us at the theater and it was uncomfortable. Then two days later, I was on the pool deck and saw one of them show up alone and put four towels onto chairs. I laughed and shook my head and made them angry.

You were a lot more restrained than I would have been. I would have asked if the other three people were in the washroom? I think its sad that those displaying the most boorish behaviour feel they can call others out without thought when not called for (I'm in your camp as my DW almost always gets up to go to the washroom before a show to not interrupt those around us during the show) yet those same people act in the exact manner they unnecessarily call out others for themselves.

A whole busload of Japanese tourists entered the washroom while we Canadians were patiently waiting in one line (this was in Banff National Park). They each proceeded to pick a stall to wait right outside its door for the occupant to finish and exit. They must have thought we were all crazy to be waiting for the first stall like that lol. I don't know...it would freak me out seeing feet waiting for me!!!

This happened to us in Edinburgh -- we made it to the top of the hill and I was heading for the ladies' room when a busload of Chinese visitors ran like a horde up the steps and crowded into the bathroom, pushing those waiting in line aside! So rude and disrespectful. Those in line were so mad I thought a fistfight was going to break out!

Someone needs to invent a lounge chair that has a built in timer meter. Basically it would work just like a parking meter but instead of inserting money, you would have to swipe your room key every 30 minutes or so to keep using the chair. If it isn't swiped, a red flag would be raised and the CM's would then gather up anything left behind, thus freeing up the seat for others. It would eliminate the saving of seats for hours where no one was really using them.
Or instead of a red flag, it would have an ejection seat and would simply pop the stuff out of their chair, preferably straight into the pool.

Last edited:
The reason I like the multiple lines in Cabanas...
On one of our early Disney cruises we were in Cabanas (before multiple lines). There was a lady in front of us with a little boy. When she got to the bacon she picked up one piece (with the tongs) and said is this one good? 10 pieces later they decided on the perfect piece of bacon. The proceeded to do this with various items throughout the buffet oblivious to the people behind them.

Oh dear lord!! That woman is creating a little monster. I don't know how anyone with 2 connected brain cells thinks that this is good parenting. Yikes.

thank you! We just got off the fantasy and people take this "YOU CAN'T SAVE SEATS!!1!" things way too serious. . . In theater, my son went to the bathroom and latecomers wanted his seat. I politely said "oh, this is my son's seat - he just went to potty " (8 years ago, I never thought I would ever use the word 'potty' as a 40 yr old male :) ) -- anyway, she says "You aren't supposed to save seats" so I asked her "Should I just let me son look for a seat by himself b/c you came in late and need seats?" -- of course she didnt respond...

Deck 12 family pool deck near funnel puddle... wife is in the sun, son and I are in the shade - one open lounger to his right. He gets up to get ice cream - immediately a lady comes over and takes the open lounger, waves her husband over, and tells me to move my sons towel and crocs so her husband can have the seat. I look at her in surprise and say "Excuse me?" She says "No one is sitting here and my husband wants to sit there" - I chuckle and say "No, my son just got up to get ice cream... he'll be back in a few minutes" of course she says "YOU CAN"T SAVE SEATS!" and stomps away...

This happens almost every cruise. Perhaps people just really want to sit by me :)

Yeah, it seems to go from one extreme to the other -- those who don't think the saving seat rule applies to them (who show up at 6 a.m. to save seats they don't plan on using until after lunch) and those who want to scream the rules while they themselves can't be polite enough to be on time or respect people's space. I disagree with sending a family member down to the theater early to save a whole row of seats because everyone else in the family can't be bothered to show up on time. I do not agree with someone singling out a seat and insisting that you let them sit there because your family member got up for a minute! Going to the bathroom, getting up to get a drink or an ice cream, etc. should not be considered "saving a seat" if the person is up and back in a few minutes! I see nothing wrong with going in as a family to get your seats, and one or two going back out to get a drink or popcorn, etc. -- just like you do in the movie theaters back home.

I am, however, so very glad we don't do the pool deck anymore because people up there can make you feel like you have to literally be strapped to the seat for the whole time you are there. Heaven forbid you get up to stretch and leave the seat empty! :eek:

Yeah, it seems to go from one extreme to the other -- those who don't think the saving seat rule applies to them (who show up at 6 a.m. to save seats they don't plan on using until after lunch) and those who want to scream the rules while they themselves can't be polite enough to be on time or respect people's space. I disagree with sending a family member down to the theater early to save a whole row of seats because everyone else in the family can't be bothered to show up on time. I do not agree with someone singling out a seat and insisting that you let them sit there because your family member got up for a minute! Going to the bathroom, getting up to get a drink or an ice cream, etc. should not be considered "saving a seat" if the person is up and back in a few minutes! I see nothing wrong with going in as a family to get your seats, and one or two going back out to get a drink or popcorn, etc. -- just like you do in the movie theaters back home.

I am, however, so very glad we don't do the pool deck anymore because people up there can make you feel like you have to literally be strapped to the seat for the whole time you are there. Heaven forbid you get up to stretch and leave the seat empty! :eek:

it's a good discussion. Frankly, I think one should be able to get up from their seat and take a dip in the pool without losing seats. I should be able to go get ice cream WITH my son without having to worry about my personal items being tossed away. It's kinda weird if you think about it - i don't have the same worries at resort pools...

it's a good discussion. Frankly, I think one should be able to get up from their seat and take a dip in the pool without losing seats. I should be able to go get ice cream WITH my son without having to worry about my personal items being tossed away. It's kinda weird if you think about it - i don't have the same worries at resort pools...

I never have this problem on other ships either. I think it's become a big enough problem on Disney ships that a crew member should be permanently stationed at the family pools! I think the "privileged" few who strut in and see stuff on a chair/lounger and think it's okay to just touch it and move it without inquiring or waiting are completely in the wrong -- and could end up getting in an unnecessary confrontation with the owners of said items (especially if they were only gone for a few minutes)!

Last edited:
Luckily I've never been yelled at by anyone. I just remember once I was having one of my normal days in Disneyland and had my pins on my lanyard that matched my outfit for the day (mind you, I don't really trade pins, the pins I buy are for my own personal collection). I was walking around a store when a little girl asked to see my pins very excitedly with her mom behind her. I told her "of course" and bent down so she could see them. She asked me if she could trade me for one of them and very politely told her "oh I'm so sorry sweetheart, I don't trade these pins" and the little girl replies "oh, okay." Then the mom proceeds to give me the BIGGEST stink eye for having told her daughter no. She would not stop giving me this look until I told them "have a great day" (with a smile) and walked away. I love kids. I work with kids at both my jobs. But to give me a horrible look for not wanting to give your kid something I paid money for and is for my own collection? No.

Not addressing anyone in particular, BUT chairs are for butts not towels. If you want someone's butt to be in a chair to hold your towels then fine. Evidently, chairs on a ship by a pool are not plentiful. If your butt doesn't need a seat, then let someone else's butt have it.

That being said, there's a difference between "seat saving" and a seat being occupied by someone who is currently getting popcorn or going to the bathroom. One is a seat that has had no claimant and may never have a claimant. The other the person has shown up, high fived their family members, sat down and said " Hey I need to go to the bathroom, I'll be right back" That seat is occupied not "saved"

Not addressing anyone in particular, BUT chairs are for butts not towels. If you want someone's butt to be in a chair to hold your towels then fine. Evidently, chairs on a ship by a pool are not plentiful. If your butt doesn't need a seat, then let someone else's butt have it.

That being said, there's a difference between "seat saving" and a seat being occupied by someone who is currently getting popcorn or going to the bathroom. One is a seat that has had no claimant and may never have a claimant. The other the person has shown up, high fived their family members, sat down and said " Hey I need to go to the bathroom, I'll be right back" That seat is occupied not "saved"

I kind of agree with you, but I don't know where I should place my clothes while I'm in the pool. I think there should be more cubicles like there are by the slides. I'm not comfortable to walk around the ship in my bikini or wrapped in a towel and that stuff needs be somewhere while I'm in the pool

Exactly. If you just want a chair and don't want to get up and use the pool/hot tub/splash area, there are plenty on deck 12, or on deck four that exist solely for the purpose of sitting. Poolside chairs have always served a double purpose: a place to drop off your things while you are in the pool, and a place to lounge when you are taking a break from the pool. I only use one chair for our family of 5--it's not like I'm taking up a ton of chairs, but I do like to have somewhere to keep my things dry and somewhere to sit when I am taking a break from being in the water. Other people may want to use a chair just for sitting, which is fine, but it is wrong to say that is the only purpose of those chairs.

Just editing this to add one more thing. Seat saving means you are saving a seat for someone who is not there yet and doesn't need the chair for anything at that time. If someone is already there and gets up to use the restroom or ice cream or take a dip in the pool, you are not "saving" a seat, because they are already there. I totally agree that it is wrong to put your stuff down at 6am, and come back hours later, or send someone in advance to the theater when others won't arrive half an hour, but as long as you are physically present still using the facilities in the vicinity of the chair (whether concessions stand, bathroom, pool etc.), I don't think it is accurate to say that is saving the seat, when in reality, you are still using it. Imagine if this concept applied to tables at a restaurant, and if you got up to use the ladies room or get a sweater out of your car, they could give away your table?

Last edited:
Seat saving means you are saving a seat for someone who is not there yet and doesn't need the chair for anything at that time. If someone is already there and gets up to use the restroom or ice cream or take a dip in the pool, you are not "saving" a seat, because they are already there. I totally agree that it is wrong to put your stuff down at 6am, and come back hours later, or send someone in advance to the theater when others won't arrive half an hour, but as long as you are physically present still using the facilities in the vicinity of the chair (whether concessions stand, bathroom, pool etc.), I don't think it is accurate to say that is saving the seat, when in reality, you are still using it. Imagine if this concept applied to tables at a restaurant, and if you got up to use the ladies room or get a sweater out of your car, they could give away your table?

hopefully this definition will take hold b/c it's annoying to have to guard your chair and stuff when you're still using the chairs. Years ago our pool bag and my 3 yr old's crocs got tossed into the used towel bin while I took him to Nemo's Reef. I was walkign around looking for them and happened to see the CM pull them out of the bin when he was emptying used towels...

When it's just me and my wife, we are on deck 12 b/c we don't go near the mickey or donald pool and we've learned there are NEVER, EVER open loungers in the adult section near the adult pool - lots of older adults sleeping, knitting, etc.

The pool & theater seat routine is our least favorite thing about DCL

Just pointing out that the pool deck chair thing is NOT exclusive to DCL.

I have multiple pictures of ghosts in chairs on Brilliance of the Seas and Jewel of the Seas. And pictures of one person claiming 4+ chairs at 6am - and the towels and books and whatnot were still in the same spot hours later - not a person in sight to claim them.

I kind of agree with you, but I don't know where I should place my clothes while I'm in the pool. I think there should be more cubicles like there are by the slides. I'm not comfortable to walk around the ship in my bikini or wrapped in a towel and that stuff needs be somewhere while I'm in the pool
Totally understand that. That's why if we, as a group, put our stuff somewhere, we have beach bags or something to keep things in. Chairs/loungers are for people, not "stuff" I usually will take a chair for myself and keep an eye on our stuff which is NOT in a chair. "Yall go have fun! I'll watch our stuff!" I would feel like a pretty big jerk stacking towels in a chair while seeing old people walking around looking for a place to sit. Towels, wraps, goggles do NOT need a chair. That being said, I probably would not move other people's belongings to find myself a seat. I can't correct everyone lol. But if I noticed someone that really needed a seat (elderly, pregnant or whatever) and I also noticed that a chair was only being used for towels for a prolonged period of time, I might set things right then.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

GET UP TO A $1000 SHIPBOARD CREDIT AND AN EXCLUSIVE GIFT!

If you make your Disney Cruise Line reservation with Dreams Unlimited Travel you’ll receive these incredible shipboard credits to spend on your cruise!

facebook twitter