Border Crossing

DisneyLisa

<a href="http://www.wdwinfo.com/dis-sponsor/index.
Does anyone know how early in the morning the bridges to the U.S. get busy? We are now planning to leave Kitchener early in the morning of July 8th (DD & I are driving from Ottawa the day before, instead of leaving here on the 8th & picking up my friend in Kitchener and then continuing on) and are wondering how early to leave Kitchener to beat the rush hour over the bridges (I've been told it can get quite busy). We were thinking of leaving Kitchener at 6 am, therefore, arriving at the bridge (not sure which we'll use) at ~7am...should we leave earlier? Appreciate any comments.

Thanks,

Lisa

Hi DisneyLisa,

Being from Kitchener I wanted to let you know that there is construction happening on Hwy 8 (hwy that leads to 401 from Kitchener) that may slow down your trip. Also that the Monday you will be crossing will be the Monday following the July 4th holiday in the US. I would leave more than an hour to get from Kitchener to the Bridge. Hard to say exactly how long not knowing what other contruction or rush hour traffic you may run into. Here is a link to the bridges that you may want to check before you go if you can.

http://www.ccra-adrc.gc.ca/customs/general/times/menu-e.html

Have a great trip!

Hi Lisa:

It takes us about 40 to 45 minutes to get to the bridge in fort erie from hamilton,it is about another 40 to 50 min to hamilton from kitchener. I would leave, earlier, say 5 ish or 5.30 and get a good push. We have been know to leave at 4 a.m.

Deb.

I see from our journal from last year that it took us about 1.5 hours to get to the border from Kitchener, so if we leave Kitchener at 5 am & get to the border at ~6:30 am...hopefully we'll miss the worst of the traffic. Jeez...I'd be getting up later if we left from Ottawa that day (but of course I'd be 5 more hours away which would make for a longer drive that first day). I can't wait until we leave so I can stop changing our plans ;) .

Lisa

Hey DisneyLisa, were you speeding, lol or did you just make great time. Which bridge are you going over, the peace bridge in Fort Erie or another?

Deb.

Hold on...I'm checking my "logs"...left her house in Kitchener at 12:09 pm, Hamilton at 12:51 pm, QEW at 12:59pm, crossed Rainbow Bridge at 1:11pm...wow that was only an hour...didn't think I was speeding ;) On the way home we crossed at 10:48 (Lewiston) and arrived in Kitchener at 12:00 noon. I'm assuming the logs are right but my friend did all the writing. One thing though, we took back roads from Kitchener, I know that.

Not sure which bridge we're crossing at...still have to check that out. Last year we followed the signs on the way there & on the way back & just "ended up" at the Rainbow Bridge on the way down & the Lewiston Bridge on the way back. I think I've heard that the Peace Bridge is the busiest...is that true. Appreciate any advice.

Thanks.

The above post is for all the border wait times, sorry I pushed the send button too soon, someone was talking to me here. You can also go to yahoo.com and put in border wait times.

Deb.

Thanks Deb. As far as I recall hearing, Lewiston is the least busy, Rainbow 2nd & Peace is the worst. I'll keep my eye on that site tomorrow am & see what I can observe.

I've been watching the "border wait times" page you gave me Deb & taquiner, so far it doesn't look like there have been any delays at any of the bridges (that we would use) this morning. I'm thinking that maybe we could get away with leaving Kitchener a little later...maybe 6 am. I'll keep watching though. I can't believe that 3 weeks from now we'll have crossed into the U.S. & be on our way :) . WOW.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter