Borrowed points returned to original UY - what if the borrowed points were banked?

Moneypenny

Mouseketeer
Hi! We are new owners and have to figure out more banking/borrowing details than we originally thought we would due to COVID. I have an Oct UY, 80 points. I have 80 2018 points (banked into 2019) that I have to use by 9/30/20. I banked my 2019 points into 2020. I want to make an 84 point reservation for this August that I may very well cancel. I know I'd lose the 80 points from 2018. I also know they are currently returning borrowed points for cancelled reservations back to the original UY. My question - what is the original UY for those 4 borrowed points in my case? They started in 2019 but I banked them into 2020. If they put them back in 2019, I have to use them by 9/30/20, which won't happen. If they put them back into 2020, I'll be fine. Does anyone know? The wait time for MS is currently 80 minutes and I thought I might get a quicker response here. Thanks!

Once you banked those 80 CY 2019 into 2020, they become "banked" points for that use year and maintain that new expiration date of 9/30/2021. You cannot borrow banked points, so if you borrowed points from your 2020 use year, you would be borrowing those 2020 Current Year Points, not the ones previously banked. So if you cancelled, they would be returned into 2020 use year to be treated as normal CY points and even be able to banked into 2021 use year. I've done your exact proposed scenario with a August reservation and a Sept UY, and when I called Member Services (had to because also had OTU points to deal with), she moved back 15 points into our 2020 Use Year and they were normal again. Hope that helps

Just to clarify that the return of borrowed points can end at anytime. It is a temporary policy. Normally, once borrowed, they stay.

And, those banked 2018 UY points will be extended for use until November 30th...another temporary change...but you have to call to use them and can’t book with them until after October 1st.

Since you are talking about an August trip, it is probably safe to assume the borrowing change will still be in effect.

But, also remember, that the waiving of holding for cancellations within 31 days is also temporary and could end at any time so keep that in mind too.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!