Borrowing Points Restriction

SoccerDogWithEars

DIS Veteran
Any rumors on when this will be lifted? I'll admit that I've been somewhat under a rock lately, and we hadn't seriously started looking at our trip for next year until the last couple of days. We bought a low points contract (only 60) because at the time it made sense for us, and the idea that we had 180 to potentially use worked fine for us. Imagine my surprise and irritation when I start looking at availability to discover that I can only borrow 30 of next year's points.

I guess I can kind of understand why they're doing it, but it feels like one more blow from 2020, because now it's between shortening what's going to be our daughter's first trip, or staying at a less desirable resort.

Ugh. Just ugh.

Thanks for letting me vent.

So sorry but nothing about how much longer it will be in place,

IMO, I think they will continue it for bookings all through 2021 into 2022, until they know we are over the hump of excess points.

Any rumors on when this will be lifted? I'll admit that I've been somewhat under a rock lately, and we hadn't seriously started looking at our trip for next year until the last couple of days. We bought a low points contract (only 60) because at the time it made sense for us, and the idea that we had 180 to potentially use worked fine for us. Imagine my surprise and irritation when I start looking at availability to discover that I can only borrow 30 of next year's points.

I guess I can kind of understand why they're doing it, but it feels like one more blow from 2020, because now it's between shortening what's going to be our daughter's first trip, or staying at a less desirable resort.

Ugh. Just ugh.

Thanks for letting me vent.
I agree. I do not like the restriction at all and hope they lift it.

I hate the restrictions as well and it probably is going to bite us if we do Christmastime in 2022 if it's still ongoing.

In the past when we were points limited on trips we made some compromises. Several times we did the split stays where we used points Sun-Thur and payed cash for a resort on the weekend. We usually booked sequentially from least desirable resort to most desirable. Good planning turned it from a hassle into a fun adventure.

One thing I will say and just curious how many others might fall into the same boat...the current borrowing restriction is actually preventing us from taking a trip at the moment.

Personally, given the safety precautions Disney has in place, we'd be comfortable going to WDW in the next month or two but since we don't know how long the borrowing restriction will be in place, we're hesitant to use our points for a "spur of the moment" trip. Basically, we're afraid to use our points now and potentially leave ourselves short for a trip in 2021. If the restrictions weren't in place, I can virtually guarantee we'd be taking a quick trip this fall and using some points rather than "hoarding" them for what we anticipate to be a normal/long trip in 2021.

I understand that DVC doesn't want to deal with a glut of points trying to be used all at once but I actually wonder if the current restriction is actually making the situation worse?

One thing I will say and just curious how many others might fall into the same boat...the current borrowing restriction is actually preventing us from taking a trip at the moment.

Personally, given the safety precautions Disney has in place, we'd be comfortable going to WDW in the next month or two but since we don't know how long the borrowing restriction will be in place, we're hesitant to use our points for a "spur of the moment" trip. Basically, we're afraid to use our points now and potentially leave ourselves short for a trip in 2021. If the restrictions weren't in place, I can virtually guarantee we'd be taking a quick trip this fall and using some points rather than "hoarding" them for what we anticipate to be a normal/long trip in 2021.

I understand that DVC doesn't want to deal with a glut of points trying to be used all at once but I actually wonder if the current restriction is actually making the situation worse?

I don’t think it is making it worse because they still have a lot of people with expiring points November 30th that just had access to those points last week..those with Oct UY..

But, I do think that allowing some last minute trips that use the extra would be nice, I have said this before but I think the issue may be more controlling it and making sure owners don’t book a last minute trip and then modify it later to work around the borrowing limit,

For example, You book a trip next month just to borrow over the limit. Then, since holding is now being waived, you modify the trip for when you really want to go using those extra points, No way to monitor that to ensure it doesn’t happen.

Now, what I do think, given the current short term rooms, may force them to keep the 50% rule in place longer.

Personally, we are going as much as we had planned, but will say the returning of borrowed points has given me a ton more points to use in late 2021 to spring 2022 that I would not have had given I had 4 trips canceled.

Is the 50% rule per contract or per member? I have 4 contracts one of which has 50 points, we use that contract every 3 years to book a room by banking and borrowing. I never borrow 50% of all my points into any one year, but using that contract I would have to borrow more than 50% of the contract to get a room.

Is the 50% rule per contract or per member? I have 4 contracts one of which has 50 points, we use that contract every 3 years to book a room by banking and borrowing. I never borrow 50% of all my points into any one year, but using that contract I would have to borrow more than 50% of the contract to get a room.
It's per contract.

As mentioned, it is by the contract, so you will be limited to only 25 points on your 50 point one.

The system will now show you exactly what can be borrowed from each when you go to book.

I don’t think it is making it worse because they still have a lot of people with expiring points November 30th that just had access to those points last week..those with Oct UY..

But, I do think that allowing some last minute trips that use the extra would be nice, I have said this before but I think the issue may be more controlling it and making sure owners don’t book a last minute trip and then modify it later to work around the borrowing limit,

For example, You book a trip next month just to borrow over the limit. Then, since holding is now being waived, you modify the trip for when you really want to go using those extra points, No way to monitor that to ensure it doesn’t happen.

Now, what I do think, given the current short term rooms, may force them to keep the 50% rule in place longer.

Personally, we are going as much as we had planned, but will say the returning of borrowed points has given me a ton more points to use in late 2021 to spring 2022 that I would not have had given I had 4 trips canceled.
Man, this is an excellent take i hadn't thought of. We want to tack on a day for a trip and they said no (we are borrowed out). I thought that seemed silly because us using points for a room in 2021 that the membership has had a chance to book but has declined would take point inventory from 2022 and relieve 2022 pressure. Hadn't thought of people doing that workaround. Once again why we can't have nice things.

I opted to grab some OTU points for a 2021 reservation to free up points to bank for 2022 (Aulani here we come!) just in case banking was still an issue.

I opted to grab some OTU points for a 2021 reservation to free up points to bank for 2022 (Aulani here we come!) just in case banking was still an issue.

I assume you mean borrowing as no restrictions on banking! 😊

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter