Bossy is back for the Big 5-0 & the little 1-5!

pierresgirl

DIS Veteran
Avast thar thar scallywags ye made it here! Next up be whar scurvy pirate fills his belly wit cheer. It be under th' table whar he puts down his beer, it be sudsy, it be tasty and it's hid under 'here pirate:

That clue was how my husband of 15 years found out about this trip.... Ok, actually that was the second clue but let me back up a bit. This is my third trip report and I'm Leyla aka Mrs Bossy, married for 15 years to Pierre aka Mr Thinkshecanbebossy. Feel free to read as 'thinks he can be bossy' or 'think she can be bossy'

and we have a nearly 15 year old Bella aka Notbossy daughter

and 12 year old Cooper aka Definetlybossy son

Our family has been on 2 wonderful Wonder cruises, the first being 6 yrs ago and the second 4 years ago. Alas it's been that long since we've had a family vacation and I decided it's well past due! A work trip with mom, even to Miami, doesn't count. Not fair when I'm working and they are at the beach or :beach: poolside lounging, amiright?!?! The last few years have not been easy but we've made it and come out stronger. Our 15 year anniversary was last summer but our work schedules have been nutty and I've traveled a lot the last 2 years so have not had any free time. We didn't even go out for lunch or dinner, isn't that sad? Dh's 50th birthday is in Feb and our dd 15th birthday is in March so it got me athinkin'!

A few months ago I began plotting and scheming how to do either another Disney cruise or possibly Disney's Aulani resort in Hawaii. I had quite a few miles as well as a flight voucher for coughing up a seat during a work trip. I have the USAirways credit card and was issued 3 tickets at a really reduced cost that I planned on using for Hawaii. However I realized that said tickets could only be used for continental US travel so there went Hawaii! Mahalo. This Haole be going somewhere else! Not that I was too sad though, I had a Disney Cruise to plan for! All on the downlow!

My next big decision was between 4 nights on the Fantasy but going to the same ports we had been to OR 5 nights on the Wonder going to new ports. DD happened to be grounded, without her phone, and was being super grumpy READ:mean, towards me and I knew how to get back in her good graces.

"Hey Bells"
"Wut?" Growl, snarl, snort
"Do you love me?"
"#Debatable" growl, snarl, snort
" Wanna be my best friend?" :flower3:
"No" growl, snarl, snort :snooty:
"Wanna go on a Disney cruise?" :flower3:
"Wait what mother dear who I love so very much?!?!?!!! ARE you KIDDING me?!?!"

So between the two of us we decided that longer on a smaller boat going to new ports would be best for our family. As much as I'd love to do the Dream or Fantasy one day I kept thinking about how many more people would be on the boats and Castaway Cay. I decided to keep it a secret and surprise dh and ds12 at Christmas. I don't know how I did it, that's for sure! I have a big mouth and yap all day at work, don't tell me any secrets....by accident it might come out! I had to be super careful and not leave the disboards open on my iPad or flight/cruise ressies in my email.

I was trying to think of the most creative way to tell him and decided on a pirate scavenger hunt. I kept looking on Pinterest, YouTube, and Google :coffee: for different clue ideas but most things were geared towards kids. Meh, not what I wanted. My creative juices got aflowing and the clues just came to me. I found a website that translated everything in pirate speak (so fun!) and the hardest part was just making sure I had the right clue tied to the right object in the right location. My brain hurts just thinking about it! I put the big reveal in a box I painted to look like a pirate chest

In the treasure chest was a personalized DCL tshirt and cruise certificate, woohoo!! When I was putting them all together I started to think about the flight and how we would have to pay for at least 3 cases to be checked, mine would be free for my USAirways CC. Why not use my points and pay a few bucks to upgrade so the bags go for free? AND we start vacation early with included drinks. Like my thought process? I sure do!!!

On Christmas morning Pierre and Cooper opened their gifts and liked everything they got but I was so amped :hyper: up to get to the main event! Pierre is always slightly zombified on Christmas because the guy works 2 jobs and December is H-E-Double-hockey-sticks. For real. He is in the UPS warehouse and helps manage our local hockey rink (get the double hockey sticks...:smokin:.) Please give your UPS warehouse workers a big hand ladies and gentlemen. Nearly each day in Dec he went in between 11pm the night before and 1 am to get the trucks ready. He then goes straight to the rink and sometimes back to UPS without coming home. I don't know how he does it, I most certainly couldn't :faint:

I had told Cooper he had a big gift that was going to be last so he was all hopped up! I placed the first clue in the tree and it lead to the next. Everything was attached to a pirate item such as eyepatch, telescope, hook etc.

We went from room to room and they were confused but having fun. At least I was. Cooper knew he had to share whatever it was so he was leaning towards the 'This is stupid' side, or truth be told he was TOTALLY on the 'This is stupid' angle. Basketball shoes are life yo. iPhones are life yo. I hope there is one at the end of this.... When they opened the last clue that lead to the trunk it took a minute to sink it...Wait, what? We're going on the Disney Cruise? You said cruises are stupid! This is awesome!! :cool1::cool1::cool1:

So Cooper is an interesting kid. He blows everything :mic::mic::mic: up by a good 500% and the first 2 times I ask him something he tends to fib. Or lie. However you look at it he ain't tellin the truth. He also commits to things and bails last second so we have to force him. Or at least try to force him. He drives me nuts but I love him SO much. Even when I want to wallop him. Anyone who has read my past trip reports will recall certain incidentS...

Anyways, that be it for now guys! :wave2: More planning and booking to come so jump aboard to hear about our 5 nighter Wonder cruise 3/1/15 with stops in Cozumel and Castaway Cay!

So now that the cat was outta the bag it was time to get on booking excursions! We have only done a few things on Castaway Cay before like the parasailing and the trio pack aka bike, floatie and snorkel package. Last time we added the stingray swim, well Cooper and Pierre did. Bella and I watched from what we considered a safe distance! This is when she told the stingray to step off, she was outtie :scared:

Cooper on the other hand loved it :yay:

Pierre and I have been to Cozumel before, we went on our 10 yr anniversary and stayed in a great little all inclusive. We rented a jeep and drove around, it was awesome! We didn't do any excursion type stuff but the last time we went on the Wonder my coworker and friend was with us. She brought her new boyfriend (they're married now :lovestruc and my step bro and I set them up, woot woot!!) and daughter. He paid for them to swim with dolphins in Nassau and we went to watch. Unfortunately it wasn't quite in our budget to do.... However we went to that super fun water park there and the kids were quite happy!

So a few weeks before Christmas my best friend was asking what to get them as presents and I thought something for the cruise would be best. Material gifts are great but experiences blow them out of the water, so to speak! Ever since we saw Jen and Kylie swim with dolphins Bella has wanted to do that. I checked out the Chankanaab excursion through DCL and solo. Ummm, no brainer. If I want to do it, it'll be solo. Quite the savings! Ecogirl said she would pay for Bella to swim with the dolphins as a Christmas/birthday prezzie and Cooper (if he wants, which I know he wouldn't) He can be SO difficult! She decided to give him Disney gift cards so he could choose what he wanted to do. She came over on NYE and gave them their gifts. She got Coop Disney gift cards to put towards excursions and have this to Bella, clockwise if you please

Oh~~ retweet yes! Bella was so super excited to see that and the booklet Ecogirl made was fabulous! I mean, really, besides Cooper who WOULDN'T want to swim with dolphins?!

Another thing I booked was the Exotic Rasul. And Palo dinner.

This was on our 11th anniversary at Palo. In case you were confused. Palo is SO good! And the service is really amazeballs. Talk about above and beyond! Can't wait for our meal there. Or anywhere on the ship for that matter!! :woohoo: :woohoo:

So I decided to sign up to do the Fish Extender! :fish: I didn't do this on my earlier cruises so Pinterest & Etsy here I come! I don't really want to spend the $35-50 on a fish extender so I need to sort that out! Anyone have good ideas?? I like to think of me-self as crafty(ish) but don't sew. I've seen a couple of super cute gift ideas though, from Minnie and Mickey head cookies to melted crayons in Mickey or Minnie head shapes to booze ( who wouldn't like that?!?!) to movie snack pack. I'll look at the ages of everyone and go from there! Whats the typical amount people spend? :confused3
I found out that a client of mine who I've known since high school and is a DVC member, is going on the exact same cruise 2 weeks before us. So bummed it's not the same week, that would have been SO great, love her and her kids! I did actually look at that week because it's during school break AND the week of
Pierre's birthday but the cost was significantly higher. :sad: Gave me the sads. Anyways, her cousin is also doing a cruise but on the Dream (or Fantasy, can't quite remember) and my friend will be at Castaway Cay a day or two before. Her husband suggested they bury something somewhere for their kids to find. How cute! Then she said she was going to do it for us too! Just a little bottle with a note in it but it'll be fun to look for! Go to such and such tree, turn right, go 3 paces and 'X' marks the spot!

The second day of the cruise is the Pirate Party pirate: also known as Bella's 15th birthday. What a fun way to celebrate! She was a bit mad she couldn't be with her friends on her actual birthday but this will be much more memorable PLUS she can do something before we leave! Besides the Exotic Rasul I definitely plan on getting the Rainforest Pass to use at least one other day! On Castaway Cay we are renting bikes, floaties and snorkel gear. Pierre and Cooper will be doing the StingRay adventure and I signed Bella up for the Teen Adventure which is the bike rental, snorkeling and high speed boat. She's on the fence but I thought I'd reserve it just in case. Not sure why this is blurry~

I have not booked my hotel for Miami yet, keep dragging the feets... A client of mine is the manager of a higher end Marriot and when I saw her yesterday she said she would see if there were any rooms available near Miami Airport with the friends and family discount. :cool1: Possible score and completely unexpected! I was just blabbing likeIdo about my trip and she mentioned it. I use to work at a spa in a Marriott and got some fierce discounts! Stayed at Marriott Renaissance in Times Square for $40 one time and stayed in London next to the Eye for $100 per night instead of $500. Good times, good times....

Last night I booked the dolphin swim and ultimately decided to go with Dolphinaris. The swim was actually $30 less than at the other dolphin place. They even offer a basic interactive program where you don't swim with but stand on a platform and touch, shake a fin and kiss a dolphin for $68 :thumbsup2

Pierre is down with that but Cooper? He informed me that he was staying on the boat :faint: Mexico ain't for him.... He wants to see nothing in the entire country. Oh boy, here we go :stir: :headache:

I also decided what to do for my Fish Extender exchange. I'm just getting things for the kids but there are 2 cabins that are adults only. I'm thinking a mini bottle of wine with decorated Solo cups :artist: In my brain they look great, just have to see how it turns out! I got the gifts for the kids on Etsy and will pick up the drinks once we arrive in Miami. Along with the drinks I'm getting for myself, I love Skinnygirl margarita! :love: I definitely want to keep my bar bill at a minimum. We had a ton of crazy things happen all at once just before Christmas and if it was before the cancellation deadline and I hadn't bought our airline tickets I would have 100% cancelled. First Pierre's car needed a new engine, got a 4 year old tax bill, stove died, dishwasher died, septic overflowed (ON Christmas Eve!), and a furnace repair :scared1: :scared1: And a partridge in a pear tree. All in 2 weeks, can you believe it?!?!

Back to the Fish Extender~ I don't sew and don't want to spend $40+ on ordering one. Any suggestions?

Thirty-eight days today! :cool1:

I've enjoyed your past trip reports and look forward to a new one! Sorry y'all had so many crazy things happen over Christmas. Y'all are due for some fun times!!!

For the fish extenders there seem to b several options like no sew (search on here), something from IKEA or I've seen a past post on another thread
"I got my FE off of ebay...for under $10! If you search mickey mouse wall organizer or disney wall organizer...they will come up. Mine came directly from China! I did change out the dowel rod and added the ribbon, our names and mickey antennas. It is the perfect size and very sturdy."

I am really disappointed in the photobucket loading quality, the pics look great when I take them but when I upload they are fuzzy and too small. Anyone have other suggestions for use here? I don't want to do my whole report and be bummed!

following along...great clues...

Thank you! The thought of the clues was daunting but once I got started it was easy, but fun!

I've enjoyed your past trip reports and look forward to a new one! Sorry y'all had so many crazy things happen over Christmas. Y'all are due for some fun times!!!

For the fish extenders there seem to b several options like no sew (search on here), something from IKEA or I've seen a past post on another thread
"I got my FE off of ebay...for under $10! If you search mickey mouse wall organizer or disney wall organizer...they will come up. Mine came directly from China! I did change out the dowel rod and added the ribbon, our names and mickey antennas. It is the perfect size and very sturdy."

Welcome back! Another crappy thing happened last night...our well pump died. WHILE I was coloring dd friends hair :faint: Luckily I was rinsing the shampoo out but I have to take her to work with me today to finish. Fingers crossed it's an easy pump fix and Pierre can get someone over today to do it! Thanks so much for the FE idea! I had only searched for FE which brings up all of the expensive options. Disney wall hanging brought up this so I ordered it for about $8!!!

Sure wish we were here right about now!

Instead we are shoveling out of this

I also booked our Miami hotel, just Red Roof Inn but the price was good, $150!!!

It's Fish Extender time! I put my things together the other night, I decided to just get gifts for the kids. Except for the peeps traveling without, they shall be getting something I haven't figured out yet. There are 10-12 cabins in my group which is quite manageable however I'm currently living in an abode otherwise known as The Money Pit. I need a new furnace because ours if 40+ years old. Le sigh. I keep pressing the restart button after turning the emergency switch off and on, usually takes a couple of times.i know a new one will be much more efficient and smaller but I really don't want to lay out another $5000 after last month.

So for the girls I got Mickey and Minnie nail decals with 2 mini bottles of polish

So super cute! For the boys I ordered Mickey cookies from Etsy

They were a bit smaller than I thought they would be but they sure look great! These are gonna be some well traveled cookies, I tell ya! They came all the way to CT from Greece then to Miami, Cozumel and Castaway Cay. These cookies need a passport!

OMG 2.5 days!!! So super excited! Had a minor catastrophe last week though.... OK who looks at their passport only 8 days before traveling :scared::rolleyes1 Hmmm that would be me. Ho ly crap. Expired. British passport. No expediting. Panic. Temper tantrum. Lost fight with kitchen chair. Bruises to prove it. Looking for a genie to fix it :genie:. Obvi I got no sleep that night and spent the next day on the phone with DCL and the British Consulate (which BTW was all prerecorded garbage that didn't help) My stepdad calmed me down, talked me from the ledge and asked if me Resident Alien card AKA green card was still valid. Why yes, it 'twas. Magical things happened and the wonderful woman at DCL said let's turn those tears of sadness into tears of happiness. :love1: Turns out I can just use my green card as long as I don't miss the boat. Then I'm in big trouble....

I got my sea sickness pills, Lactaid for B, sunblock, bug spray etc today. Finished sorting out my FE gifts, they are bagged, tagged, rm numbered and ready to go!

Woohoo today's the day! :cool1::cool1::cool1::cool1::goodvibes:goodvibes:thumbsup2:thumbsup2 We got in last night and stayed at a cheapie hotel on the airport perimeter. Had a good nights sleep and ready to rock'n'roll!!!! Just waiting to board now in group 4 plus got a pic with Capt. Mickey

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter