Boulder Ridge or AKL Addonitis

renzmari

Mouseketeer
Hi All,
I am going to pre - apologize for the long post, just want to make sure I hit all my points accurately.
We were just at WDW last week and stayed at the Polynesian for 5 nights and 1 night at AKL Kidani. We had stayed at Kidani before and we love it there. Poly was amazing and we would love to purchase points there but they are more $$ per point resale than we want to spend. We had dinner at Artist Point one night and we all fell in love with the resort. We had not been there in years for no other reason than not having a car while at WDW and no need to head over there. But once we took a stroll around the grounds we truly fell in love with it all over again. Now we think we might want to add on an additional 150 resale points either there or at the AKL. I know about the restrictions but we have other points that we can use at the "new" resorts so that is not a concern. Not really concerned about the 2042 date either as that is still 22 years away and I will be over 70 then and our youngest DD will be in her late 40's. Even the DGD's will be in there 20's by then and our Saratoga expires in 2054 which will make those the points we can use for another 12 years and more than likely our children's kids.
Thought I should ask the experts why and what you love about both of the these resorts so that we can make a better informed decision as to where to buy. We love Saratoga and are looking forward to the refurbishments and all our future stays there as we have enjoyed them in the past.
TIA for all your advice and suggestions!

I can’t speak for AKL but I love the smallness of WL and at the holidays, it is truly amazing. I also love how easy it is to go back and forth to the MK.

I know it is harder to book there than at WL, so I think if you are not concerned about it being a 2042 resort, then I vote for thst!

I own at BR. It is my "christmas stay" place, because, to me, its number 1 during December. GF #2, AK #3.

I love the grounds at WL, to me that and Poly have the nicest grounds to just walk around.

Now, depending on when you plan on using your points, and what type of room you are going for, you are talking about 2 resorts that TEND to be less in demand and have decent availability at 7 months.

Geyser Point may be my single favorite retreat on all of Disney property. Love the open air of it, fantastic to sit and watch the Electrical Water Pageant.

Biggest knock on BR - rooms are very ordinary to me (but I am not in the room much - Im at Geyser Point!)
The views are questionable - but it is kinda the say it should be - wilderness - unless of course you get the infamous dumpster view room.
AK has much better views - the safari view obviously

I own at BR. It is my "christmas stay" place, because, to me, its number 1 during December. GF #2, AK #3.

I love the grounds at WL, to me that and Poly have the nicest grounds to just walk around.

Now, depending on when you plan on using your points, and what type of room you are going for, you are talking about 2 resorts that TEND to be less in demand and have decent availability at 7 months.

Geyser Point may be my single favorite retreat on all of Disney property. Love the open air of it, fantastic to sit and watch the Electrical Water Pageant.

Biggest knock on BR - rooms are very ordinary to me (but I am not in the room much - Im at Geyser Point!)
The views are questionable - but it is kinda the say it should be - wilderness - unless of course you get the infamous dumpster view room.
AK has much better views - the safari view obviously

Agree with everything mentioned here, but did want to point out that BR has a full refurb coming up.

The normal argument would be to take AKL for the longer contract at similar price point...but with none of that mattering to you, i'd go with BR.

We own at AK and never regretted buying there, love that when we do a non park visit even only for a few days, its not in the middle of the parks. Love that it has the value rooms for less points and the ability to stay concierge when we are able to get some nights, even when we only get it one night, we enjoy it 2 full days. Plus we love the coziness feeling and looking at the animals in the morning while sitting at the balconies, plus let's not forget the great restaurants!
just MHO.

We just added on at BRV. It's always been a favorite. We aren't park commandos and really enjoy the atmosphere of WL. Easy enough to get to FW or the monorail for dinner via boat.

Thank you all for your input! I truly appreciate all of it and any further suggestions, comments, loves is always appreciated!!

We own at both AKV and BRV, and think both are fantastic.

Pros for BRV:
- The Wilderness Lodge lobby is breathtaking... especially at the holidays
- Geyser Point and Artist Point are fantastic
- Close to MK
- Resale prices are slightly lower
- The service at WL is consistently superior

Negatives for BRV:
- Transportation to non-MK parks
- Right now the rooms are pretty tired. Expect refurbs soon.

Pros for AKV
- Savanah views... best views of any Disney resort
- Value/Concierge options
- Boma, Jiko and Sanaa... three of the best restaurants on property
- Close to Animal Kingdom Park
- We often book 2-bedrooms... like the 3rd bathroom
- longer contract

Negatives for AKV:
- far from non-AK parks
- the lobby and rooms are a little dark

So if I break it down:
Rooms: AKV wins
Lobby/Resort: BRV wins
Room Views: AKV wins
Location: For us, we prefer AK location... MK isn't our top park
Food: AKV wins

Honestly, it really comes down to your preferences. We really couldn't decide, which is why we purchased at both. However, all being said, I prefer AKV.

I personally prefer AKV but they are both good choices. BRV maintenace fees are now actually higher than AKV but they are pretty close. The biggeest argument for AKV is the lease end date - but you seem to not be concerned of that, so in the end its really which you prefer. Personally, if you spend a lot of time at MK I would go with WL, otherwise I would go with AKV.

I think Boulder Ridge is one of the most overpriced DVC properties at WDW. I love the property, but given the expiration year, dues, current room condition and point cost I just can't see it as a good deal.

I would pick the resort youre interested in with the latest expiration date. Even if you are done with florida vacations in 2042, A resort with an expiration in 2057 Would presumably still be worth 5-figures on the resale market..... compare to an expired contract worth $0

I think Boulder Ridge is one of the most overpriced DVC properties at WDW. I love the property, but given the expiration year, dues, current room condition and point cost I just can't see it as a good deal.

I think that's really BCV. VWL is selling in a similar range as OKW for another onsite 2042 resort. Of course it's all really in comparison to hotel cash prices and last I looked they all still remain better than that albeit you are locking in on it with less flexibility than cash rooms.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!