Bouncing Leg Syndrome

AustinTink

DIS Veteran
That's what I'm calling it because I don't know what else to name it. My husband won't stop bouncing his legs when he's sitting and he's breaking all my kitchen chairs in the process. Why do people bounce their legs? Is it anxiety? I know this sounds petty, but it's all the time. He never stops bouncing. I'm going nuts.

On a serious note, he has Parkinson's in his immediate family, so the bouncing/ shaking worries me. I know it's involuntary.

Maybe summer has just been too long and I'm ready to go back to work full-time. I'm noticing the little things.

Last edited:
That's what I'm calling it because I don't know what else to name it. My husband won't stop bouncing his legs when he's sitting and he's breaking all my kitchen chairs in the process. Why do people bounce their legs? Is it anxiety? I know this sounds petty, but it's all the time. He never stops bouncing. I'm going nuts.

On a serious note, he has Parkinson's in his immediate family, so the bouncing/ shaking worries me. I knows it's involuntary.

Maybe summer has just been too long and I'm ready to go back to work full-time. I'm noticing the little things.

If he’s bouncing so hard it’s wrecking furniture, it’s probably time to get it checked out by a dr. Especially if there’s Parkinson’s in the family.

If he’s bouncing so hard it’s wrecking furniture, it’s probably time to get it checked out by a dr. Especially if there’s Parkinson’s in the family.
I tried approaching the subject before, but he thinks I'm overreacting. But, he literally just sat at the kitchen table for 3 hours working and bouncing.

I tried approaching the subject before, but he thinks I'm overreacting. But, he literally just sat at the kitchen table for 3 hours working and bouncing.

I get it. Maybe be annoying and point it out every time he starts up again. Of course, that may backfire too lol

He is bouncing on his own or his is leg spasming/bouncing. I know there are times where my leg will "bounce" involuntarily, I always assumed a pinched nerve or something.

Could it be a side effect from any prescription medication ? Maybe use that as an avenue to consult a Doctor. I have had family members with something similar but not enough for breaking chairs.

I use to bounce my leg when I was in school. I thought it was a subconscious way the keep the blood flowing; a way to release some energy. When you sit idle for too long, you actually become more tired.

ETA. I noticed I was bouncing my leg recently when I was just anxious to get up after sitting so long for a meeting.

Could it be a side effect from any prescription medication ? Maybe use that as an avenue to consult a Doctor. I have had family members with something similar but not enough for breaking chairs.

Definitely. I had it a long time ago on a certain medication, but it went away after I stopped taking it. Now I'm taking a different but related medication and it won't stop at all.

At least it burns a few calories every day...

I've noticed a lot of guys leg bounce all the time... ALL the time. It's annoying. I always just figured their bodies were burning off extra energy or something. However, if he's bouncing so hard it's breaking furniture, it's time to see the doctor. Record him doing it with your phone; he probably doesn't even realize he's doing it, much less how frequently.

On a serious note, he has Parkinson's in his immediate family, so the bouncing/ shaking worries me. I know it's involuntary.

Familial Parkinson's is relatively rare. That said, any repetive motion that results in broken furniture likely warrants a visit to the Dr.

Definitely. I had it a long time ago on a certain medication, but it went away after I stopped taking it. Now I'm taking a different but related medication and it won't stop at all.

At least it burns a few calories every day...
My husband says the same thing about the calories, LOL.

He is bouncing on his own or his is leg spasming/bouncing. I know there are times where my leg will "bounce" involuntarily, I always assumed a pinched nerve or something.
He's doing it, but I don't think he realizes how much. He's a very creative person and when he's working and the creativity is flowing, the legs go nuts.

It's condition called Restless Leg Syndrome. I have it and it acts up when I'm getting tired. It's involuntary and can seem strange to onlookers (it's usually at night, so usually just my husband witnesses it!).

Doing something hard enough to actually break furniture, which honestly my mind is having a hard time visualizing this lol, seems like cause for getting it checked out-even if one doesn't actually want to.
It's repetitive motion after many years that wears on the chairs. Like when teenagers lean back/ balance themselves in a chair and it loosens the backs. My brothers did that to my mom's chairs and they all had to be repaired when we were little.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter