Bouncing Leg Syndrome

It's condition called Restless Leg Syndrome. I have it and it acts up when I'm getting tired. It's involuntary and can seem strange to onlookers (it's usually at night, so usually just my husband witnesses it!).
I just read about that. For you, is it like a spasm or bouncing?

I should probably add that these are not new chairs. We've had the set for about 15 years. He's not running around sitting on a chair and they go splat. It has been over time.

Could it be a side effect from any prescription medication ? Maybe use that as an avenue to consult a Doctor. I have had family members with something similar but not enough for breaking chairs.
He doesn't take any meds. He's a healthy dude overall.

It's repetitive motion after many years that wears on the chairs. Like when teenagers lean back/ balance themselves in a chair and it loosens the backs. My brothers did that to my mom's chairs and they all had to be repaired when we were little.
Ohhh ok I see. So it's more like wear and tear stress on the furniture just at a higher rate because of the constant bouncing. I gotcha. That was a different image than I had initially lol

That's what I was going to say - I suffer from RLS - it's very painful - I take muscle relaxers and anti-inflammatory meds when it's that bad
I'm sorry to hear it's painful. Muscle relaxers are an interesting idea. That might help him relax.

It could be RLS I have that but bouncing isn't something I do, I just move around, even sitting down, engaging the muscles (which may be what the bouncing is actually doing). That said people with RLS find different ways that alleviate the sensation. Mine is most active at night but sporadically and it can be quite uncomfortable because it's hard to shut down the sensation long enough to fall asleep. That said for me it's not enough of an interference that I take medication.

Def. still get it checked out if you can.

Just an unconscious habit. I do it. My wife will tell me when it is bothering her. I've done it for as long as I can remember and I'm 62.
Can't speak to breaking the furniture, we've had our kitchen table and chairs for 36 years and I haven't broken them. Not sure how a chair can hold a full grown adult....then fail because someone was shaking their leg.

Dr also told me to try seltzer or soda when it's bad - apparently , the carbon increases the blood flow and helps
That's so interesting and very easy to try on him. He loves Pellegrino, but I rarely buy it for home. Going to get some and sneak into his daily routine.

The only people I have known that do this have ADHD. Is it possible your husband has it as well and it has been undiagnosed all his life? Bear in mind that there are many types of ADHD (there were 6 types the last time I checked).

It's called stimming (self stimulatory behavior...it is stimulating to the nervous system). Everyone does it to some extent or another. Twirling pens, hair, chewing gum, chewing or clicking on pencaps, rubbing hands together, picking at fingers, biting nails, etc. Bouncing a leg is a very common one. I do it too. My kids are both autistic and they have various stims. One runs his hands together so often that he has red patches on his palms. It doesn't hurt him, though.

Your husband is creative, huh? Not surprised.

Stimming is an unconscious release of nervous energy/anxiety. It's healthy and should not be suppressed.

Another vote for restless leg syndrome. If he visits a doctor for a check up, have him ask about it. There are medications that can help.

Another vote for restless leg syndrome. If he visits a doctor for a check up, have him ask about it. There are medications that can help.

Yep - I take methocarbomol when it flares up- as well as Advil - deep tissue massages help as well

It's called stimming (self stimulatory behavior...it is stimulating to the nervous system). Everyone does it to some extent or another. Twirling pens, hair, chewing gum, chewing or clicking on pencaps, rubbing hands together, picking at fingers, biting nails, etc. Bouncing a leg is a very common one. I do it too. My kids are both autistic and they have various stims. One runs his hands together so often that he has red patches on his palms. It doesn't hurt him, though.

Your husband is creative, huh? Not surprised.

Stimming is an unconscious release of nervous energy/anxiety. It's healthy and should not be suppressed.
This is kind of what I've been thinking after 22 years of marriage. It's an outlet for his nervous energy during creative periods. He's done it as long as I've known him. It's just more pronounced lately. I'm going to google stimming now...

I just read about that. For you, is it like a spasm or bouncing?

It's both - it feels like a spasm or like ants crawling up on my legs, and I can only get rid of the feeling by bouncing or thrashing my legs. It's awful. I smash and bounce my legs all night long sometimes ....

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter