Boyfriend’s first Disney trip in a few days and I’m getting nervous!

Dreamin of Dole Whip

Each day is just one day closer to Disney
Hi Everyone,

I sure could use some insights or at least help talking me off the ledge. I am a long time Disneylover and parks traveler and this weekend my boyfriend will be joining me at WDW for his first trip ever. He offered to go, we are wrapping into a trip to Spring Training, but is very skeptical if he’s going to enjoy it. Basically, he’s being a good sport because he knows how much I love Disney, but I am getting worried that he’s going to hate it and we’ll never get to go back! 🤪😂 I want to share our itinerary and see what y’all think and if there’s tweaks I can make to ensure we both have a stellar vacation. I should note: I love the parks and can tour any which way and still have a good time. When I go solo trips, I will commando tour, but other trips I’ve just taken it easy and had a ball, so I’m really down to just make this the best trip for US that it can be.

We’re doing 6 nights in BWI with a 5 day park hopper. I have FPs for most of the “major” attractions and some of my favorites. Days 1&2 our two best friends will be with us and we’re planning on pretty serious park touring of HS Day 1 and MK day 2 since they’ll be along for the ride. Day 3 is Epcot, first day of F&G, and then a night resi at Hoop Dee Doo. Day 4 we’re golfing at Magnolia and then doing AK after hours. Day 5 I have FPPs for DH and then we’re doing Villains After Dark. So far we’re dining one signature, then the rest TS, at some places I’ve been wanting to try, he’s not really a foodie. Think places like Biergarten and 50s prime time.
My Boyfriend is a wonderful guy, but he really hates crowds, lines, and shopping. His favorite things are sports, cigar smoking, good drinks, typical guy stuff, but he likes shows and live music as well. I booked the two nights of after hours because I thought it’s a good way to tour with less crowds. I just am really nervous seeing the reports of big crowds, that this is going to be just too much for him. I asked him what he wants most for his vacay and he said “to relax” well shoot, my idea of relaxing is 10 hrs in Magic Kingdom, but I don’t think that’s what he has in mind!
If anyone has feedback I’d love to hear it! I just wanna try and show him the Disney I love, without overwhelming him and not getting to come back! 😂

thanks!!

As a fellow Disney commando, just remember the key rule to be flexible. Obviously still hit your hard ticket events, but FPs and most reservations are extremely easy to shift around on the fly, especially for a party of two. If you notice he's getting uncomfortable with crowd levels at a certain section of a park, just divert to another that's most likely to not be as crowded when that section is busy. Use your knowledge of the parks and how people tend to flow through them at certain times of the day to your advantage.
Also consider taking breaks at Disney Springs, especially during the day on weekdays when it's a lot less crowded. If he's into basketball, consider surprising him with the NBA Experience or going over to The Void for the Secrets of the Empire storyline if he's into video games. There is also a humador there, Sosa Family Cigars, and a wide selection of establishments with good drinks and unique theming.

Hi Everyone,

I sure could use some insights or at least help talking me off the ledge. I am a long time Disneylover and parks traveler and this weekend my boyfriend will be joining me at WDW for his first trip ever. He offered to go, we are wrapping into a trip to Spring Training, but is very skeptical if he’s going to enjoy it. Basically, he’s being a good sport because he knows how much I love Disney, but I am getting worried that he’s going to hate it and we’ll never get to go back! 🤪😂 I want to share our itinerary and see what y’all think and if there’s tweaks I can make to ensure we both have a stellar vacation. I should note: I love the parks and can tour any which way and still have a good time. When I go solo trips, I will commando tour, but other trips I’ve just taken it easy and had a ball, so I’m really down to just make this the best trip for US that it can be.

We’re doing 6 nights in BWI with a 5 day park hopper. I have FPs for most of the “major” attractions and some of my favorites. Days 1&2 our two best friends will be with us and we’re planning on pretty serious park touring of HS Day 1 and MK day 2 since they’ll be along for the ride. Day 3 is Epcot, first day of F&G, and then a night resi at Hoop Dee Doo. Day 4 we’re golfing at Magnolia and then doing AK after hours. Day 5 I have FPPs for DH and then we’re doing Villains After Dark. So far we’re dining one signature, then the rest TS, at some places I’ve been wanting to try, he’s not really a foodie. Think places like Biergarten and 50s prime time.
My Boyfriend is a wonderful guy, but he really hates crowds, lines, and shopping. His favorite things are sports, cigar smoking, good drinks, typical guy stuff, but he likes shows and live music as well. I booked the two nights of after hours because I thought it’s a good way to tour with less crowds. I just am really nervous seeing the reports of big crowds, that this is going to be just too much for him. I asked him what he wants most for his vacay and he said “to relax” well shoot, my idea of relaxing is 10 hrs in Magic Kingdom, but I don’t think that’s what he has in mind!
If anyone has feedback I’d love to hear it! I just wanna try and show him the Disney I love, without overwhelming him and not getting to come back! 😂

thanks!!

He probably won't like everything(though to be fair, I am not a sports guy, but know most guys are), but I think he will enjoy a fair amount of the rides. With Galaxy's Edge and Pandora being there, those are great areas for guys because they do tend to cater towards men's overall tastes. In Epcot, there will be plenty for him to do in World Showcase, but the big rides to go for there are Soarin and Test Track. I don't imagine he would care for Frozen unless he just likes boat rides(I do, but it's because they are a nice low key thing). The big thing is to try to include his input as you go and just take a bit more of a relaxed time in the parks. Let him take it all in, while having a bit of a plan in place. Remember, you have done most of it before, so you just need to be somewhat accommodating to him since it is his first time there. Perhaps even plan a table service meal or a resort break midday for a break?

Last year my boyfriend and I came to Disney for my birthday. My advice would be, be as flexible as possible check in often. I didn't rush us to the parks in the morning but we both were ok with hanging out late and I asked hey do you want to do this or go back to the room etc. I did drag him to a Fop fastpass that I got late because we didn't have one but I really wanted to do that otherwise and he loved it! I tried to keep him in mind for dining but we are both foodies his favorite meal was the Storybook dining steak. I'm a wall to wall scheduler but I tried not to schedule everything and be ok with not doing something.

Last year my boyfriend and I came to Disney for my birthday. My advice would be, be as flexible as possible check in often. I didn't rush us to the parks in the morning but we both were ok with hanging out late and I asked hey do you want to do this or go back to the room etc. I did drag him to a Fop fastpass that I got late because we didn't have one but I really wanted to do that otherwise and he loved it! I tried to keep him in mind for dining but we are both foodies his favorite meal was the Storybook dining steak. I'm a wall to wall scheduler but I tried not to schedule everything and be ok with not doing something.

It should be noted that for Pandora and Galaxy's Edge, an early arrival is advised.

It should be noted that for Pandora and Galaxy's Edge, an early arrival is advised.
That's if you want to do those things and I like Pandora at night and was able to get a Fastpass for Fop late at night and it worked out well. SWGE you have to get there early for one ride Dreamin has to decide if it worth it for their trip.

That's if you want to do those things and I like Pandora at night and was able to get a Fastpass for Fop late at night and it worked out well. SWGE you have to get there early for one ride Dreamin has to decide if it worth it for their trip.

I know, I was just adding that as a bear in mind type thing. She knows what he would enjoy better than any of us though, so the best we can do is make suggestions and explain important details.

Hi Everyone,

I sure could use some insights or at least help talking me off the ledge. I am a long time Disneylover and parks traveler and this weekend my boyfriend will be joining me at WDW for his first trip ever.

thanks!!
I found the best way to introduce an adult to Disney parks is through the lens of storytelling. Everyone likes a good story, and everything in the Disney parks is telling a story. Every ride, most from the moment you get in line, are telling you a tale. Talk to the cast members in any queue and they will play out their role.

Punctuate park visits with excursions to the Edison and Jock Lindsays' Hangar Bar, among others, for a less childishly themed nightcap. The Edison has an Absinthe Fairy shotgirl most nights that will answer to Drinkerbell.

Hi Everyone,

thanks!!
I have the same thing going on. This will be my Dh 1st time to Disney (and FL) and he's pretty much doing it for me. He really couldn't care less! Im kinda freaking out that he's gonna ruin my trip, but he really isn't like that. I think you have a good variety of things planned. He should have fun!

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

Latest posts