~~Brandon's Make A Wish PTR~~

texastwinmom

Earning My Ears
Hi Everyone! I'm thrilled to be posting here! :goodvibes I'm Melissa, my husband and I have 6 year old twin boys Aiden & Brandon. Brandon is my wish child, we were just informed last week his Oncologist had referred a Wish for him and he was approved! :yay:

At about 9 months old I noticed Brandons stomach was distended and he was crying more than usual. I brought him to the pedi, said it was just gas and sent home, I brought him back a couple weeks later saying it was NOT just gas and his stomach felt a bit "hard." So we were sent for the ultrasound that changed out world. You know it's bad when the scan tech leaves the room with a pale face and comes back with head of radiology. That man calmly told me not to panic but I needed to take my son to a specific Oncologist at Dallas Childrens Medical Center, that they were waiting for us and we needed to go now. I was sick and trying to hold it together during that drive.

He was admitted right away for labs and scheduled for a liver biopsy, the next day he was diagnosed with Stage III Hepatoblastoma, a rare 1 in a million childhood cancer and was given a 40% survival chance. Since that time, he's had 13 surgeries, more scans and labs than I can count, 1 relapse and a full year of harsh chemo that involved many inpatient stays due to fevers/side effects. Eventually it was deemed only a full liver transplant would save his life, he was very quickly listed at a high priority status and within 3 weeks, on Mothers Day, we got *the call* that his perfect match was found. Texas Children's Hospital in Houston sent their life flight jet to pick us up at 2AM and off we went! His new liver has given him a second chance at life and we are grateful for every day he remains cancer free! We hit some bumps in the road now with the life of a transplant patient, but every day from here on out is a miracle! :)

Our MAW Coordinator said it could be a few weeks before we can get the ball rolling and have him make his official wish, he has always had his heart set on Disney, it will be our first family vacation and I can't wait to start planning and see the smiles on my boys faces once we get there! :goodvibes

Here's a few pics:
Brandon about 2 months before transplant, always happy!
<a
6835_1223028503485_7249995_n.jpg

1 week after transplant, smiliest kid on the transplant floor! :)
brandon0541.jpg

Me and my boys!
23617_1367909045408_2004041_n.jpg

315450_2344076768991_1572758694_n.jpg

My cuties today! :)
293997_2344064568686_1926917568_n.jpg

268762_2156541560728_4357515_n.jpg

What cute boys!!! :)

Precious!!

I am so glad he is doing well! My friend is an Ultrasound tech and that is the WORST feeling in the world - suddenly that you "know" something and the poor Mom or patient has no idea that their world is about to change. :(

So glad you guys have made it through all of that! Hope you have an amazing trip!!

Yay PTR started!!!!:yay::yay: Nice to put a face to your little miracle :) I'm in, can't wait to read more!:cheer2:

Thank you!! Hehe, I've come a long way in a week, I've heard of lots of reports over the years but never a TPR! Now this is the kind of report I like! :P

What cute boys!!! :)

Precious!!

I am so glad he is doing well! My friend is an Ultrasound tech and that is the WORST feeling in the world - suddenly that you "know" something and the poor Mom or patient has no idea that their world is about to change. :(

So glad you guys have made it through all of that! Hope you have an amazing trip!!

Thanks so much!!! You are awesome! pixiedust: Yea that has to be a pretty hard job somedays :( I have a happy Ultrasound Tech story though! When I was 9 weeks I thought I was miscarrying (had a history of ectopics so was paranoid and went to the ER, the tech was really quiet, then smiled and said "I'm not supposed to do this, but I want to show you something" and turned the screen to me and said "see that heartbeat? It's strong but look at that other flickering light, it's strong too, did you know you were having twins?" LOL And I cried happy tears that day! (bleeding was just a subchronic hemorrhage thing) :)

Thank you!! Hehe, I've come a long way in a week, I've heard of lots of reports over the years but never a TPR! Now this is the kind of report I like! :P

Thanks so much!!! You are awesome! pixiedust: Yea that has to be a pretty hard job somedays :( I have a happy Ultrasound Tech story though! When I was 9 weeks I thought I was miscarrying (had a history of ectopics so was paranoid and went to the ER, the tech was really quiet, then smiled and said "I'm not supposed to do this, but I want to show you something" and turned the screen to me and said "see that heartbeat? It's strong but look at that other flickering light, it's strong too, did you know you were having twins?" LOL And I cried happy tears that day! (bleeding was just a subchronic hemorrhage thing) :)

I missed this response!

How COOL!!!!! :)

That would be an amazing thing to tell someone! Especially if you are afraid you are miscarrying and end up with double the blessing! :thumbsup2:thumbsup2

How is Brandon doing?

Wish Mom Alumni here...when I had time (eons ago) I always posted happy pics for all. Taking time to do that this morning for my fellow Wish Families...it WILL be the most magical trip!

Your boys are so cute. :) So sorry that Brandon has been through so much. So happy that he will be getting his wish.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

Latest posts

facebook twitter