Bread pudding..

C.Ann

<font color=green>We'll remember when...<br><font
I'm looking for a particular bread pudding recipe which is probably like looking for a needle in a hay stack because for all I know, it could have been my grandma's original.. Here goes anyhow though..

This bread pudding was cooked in an old-fashioned crock in the oven.. What made it different though was the color and the texture.. The color was like...mmm..a cup of coffee with just a bit of cream - a deep tan/brown color.. And the texture was totally smooth - NO lumps - and of a very thick pudding consistency.. Let's say a bit thicker than jellied cranberry sauce.. You could actually scoop out a serving and hold it in your hand to eat if you chose to.. It was the MOST delicious bread pudding and I have never found anything that came even CLOSE to it.. Could KICK myself now for not getting Grandma's recipe..

If you have anything that sounds even remotely like that would you please be so kind as to share it? I'll just keep on trying recipe after recipe until I hit it right..

Thanks!

That sounds more like Indian Pudding than bread pudding.

Was the bread pudding very sweet? Any raisins, etc. in it?

Sweet but not extremely sweet.. Raisins, yes.. And I know that at least SOME of the ingredients were: dark molasses; eggs; evaporated milk..

Indian Pudding. Really good served warm with a scoop of vanilla ice cream to cut the sweetness. (I like it a little less firm than it would need to be to eat out of hand, and I also skip the raisins)

A nice simple version:

4 c. scalded milk
1/2 c. yellow corn meal
2 T. melted butter
1/2 c. molasses
1 t. cinnamon
1/2 t. ginger
2 eggs
Pour scalded milk slowly over cornmeal. Cook over hot water 20 minutes. Combine butter, molasses, salt, cinnamon, and ginger. Beat eggs well, add with molasses mixture to cornmeal. Pour into greased baking dish. Place in a pan of hot water. Bake 350 for one hour. Serve hot with vanilla ice cream, whipped cream, or hard sauce.

Ok C.Ann - I begged for 2 years to get this receipe and although it may not be the same as your grandmothers I guarantee it is good. In fact, it is a favorite of my guests onboard the Irish Mist!

BREAD PUDDING

5 slices of bread, I like to use multigrain, it is firmer but white is fine
6 eggs slightly beaten
1 1/2 cups sugar
1 cup milk
1 cup evaporated milk (Pet)
1 Tablespoon vanilla
1 teaspoon nutmeg
1 stick butter

Tear the bread into small pieces. Put into an 8x8 baking pan that has been sprayed with Pam or buttered generously. Mix the eggs, sugar, milk, evaporated milk, vanilla and nutmeg.
Melt butter and add to the mixture. Pour the mixture over the bread and let stand for about 5 or 10 minutes. Bake in a 375 oven until puffed and golden. About 30 minutes. The top and outside will be a little crusty and the center smooth and custard-like. The topping below is a must with this receipe.

In a small saucepan, mix 1 cup sugar and 1 Tablespoon corn starch, add 1/4 cup water and 1/2 stick butter. You can add a couple of drops of yellow food coloring if you want. Heat until the sugar is melted and the mixture is thickened. Serve a generous spoonful on top of the hot pudding. The topping can be reheated on the stove and the pudding can be reheated in the microwave.

I hope you love this receipe as much as we do.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter