Breakfast at Cape May on Embarkation Day

MrPTato

DIS Veteran
Booked our first cruise for March. Staying at BCV the night before. Wanted to do a character breakfast at Cape May before heading to port, but our TA seems to think that is a bad idea and should skip it. Out ADR is 8:35a. Not sure how the whole port arrival time works, but being our first cruise, I assume it will be later. We would be taking a Disney bus to the port if that matters.

Thoughts?

Booked our first cruise for March. Staying at BCV the night before. Wanted to do a character breakfast at Cape May before heading to port, but our TA seems to think that is a bad idea and should skip it. Out ADR is 8:35a. Not sure how the whole port arrival time works, but being our first cruise, I assume it will be later. We would be taking a Disney bus to the port if that matters.

Thoughts?

I currently have a 7:30 ADR on hold - I'm much more comfortable with that time frame.

Assuming they are not running behind, an 8:35 should be ok...but in my experience unless you're in the first seating slot, Cape May can run behind a bit. Not as much as at say 'Ohana, but I would hate to rush the meal.

As I understand it, pick-up at the resorts (generally ONE per resort, so no wiggle room) can start as early as 10:30ish and be as late as 1ish. You don't find out until the night before. Assuming the early time, I'm much more comfortable with the earlier ADR time and would probably try to move the 8:35 up a bit.

Another thought besides the time issue is would you really want to eat such a big meal, just hours before the embarkation buffet? We have done 1 big breakfast on embarkation day and I learned then, it didn't work for us. It's better for us to have something small, get on board hungry and ready to eat at noon. ;)

IMO you will have plenty of time for breakfast. That is actually the perfect time in my opinion unless your family will be hungry earlier. We have a cruise next month and have a Cape May reservation but later than yours. I keep trying for the 8:30-9 time frame but no luck so far. I may just switch to Ale & Compass....no children in our group so the characters are not as important and we prefer a la carte in general.

Pickup has been in the 11-12 range in our experience at BC/BCV. Since you will know your bus time the night before sailing, you could always cancel or ask at the concierge desk if they could fit you in earlier if necessary.

Another thought besides the time issue is would you really want to eat such a big meal, just hours before the embarkation buffet? We have done 1 big breakfast on embarkation day and I learned then, it didn't work for us. It's better for us to have something small, get on board hungry and ready to eat at noon. ;)
I'm with you. Why spend 100- 200 dollars eating at a less then mediocre breakfast buffet when you can eat at a little better then mediocre lunch buffet for "free" or shall I say already paid for. If your going to spend Disney prices on breakfast at least go somewhere where they are going to make you real eggs cooked fresh. Ale and Compass is pretty good.

I just called to add transport to the port for our Feb cruise from a Disney hotel.
I was told the pick ups start at 10am. There will be a letter with the time you need to be in the lobby for pick up and a time they will come for your luggage.
If you are at the Beach Club already you should be fine.

The thing that comes to my mind is the abundance of characters on the ship. don't know that I would spend the time or money on a character breakfast before heading on a cruise. My opinion of course :3dglasses

I may just end up cancelling it then. I assume there is a QS there we could pick at in the morning. I am not a big breakfast person, but my wife and 2 kids are. Makes sense to just wait to get on and eat. Will it be crowded when we get there? As new cruisers, I assume we have the later times and I would hate to rush through lunch. All new so no idea what to expect. Thanks everyone!

I may just end up cancelling it then. I assume there is a QS there we could pick at in the morning. I am not a big breakfast person, but my wife and 2 kids are. Makes sense to just wait to get on and eat. Will it be crowded when we get there? As new cruisers, I assume we have the later times and I would hate to rush through lunch. All new so no idea what to expect. Thanks everyone!

You will be on a cruise, since it is your first I must say do not rush. Other than finding a table there is no reason you cannot take your time, even at the buffet. If you don’t get enough there you can always grab something at the quick service counters, or ice cream or nibbles in the cafe. And room service is another option. No reason to go hungry on a cruise.

Just to chime in -- we were at BC for our last cruise and got a Cape May at 8:30. Boy were we glad we did! Our DCL transfer pickup from the resort was not until 12:30pm, and with several pickups at other resorts after ours, we didn't get to port canaveral until 2, and with the time to get through the terminal (there was a long line) it was almost 3 when we made it to the buffet on the ship. My kids would have been beside themselves with hunger if we had skipped breakfast or eaten light. Plus there is something to be said for meeting the characters in their Cape May swim gear and chatting with them about "seeing them again" on Castaway Cay.

Why not try room service? I've found that 2 adult room service breakfasts would feed 2 adults/2 kids.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

GET UP TO A $1000 SHIPBOARD CREDIT AND AN EXCLUSIVE GIFT!

If you make your Disney Cruise Line reservation with Dreams Unlimited Travel you’ll receive these incredible shipboard credits to spend on your cruise!

facebook twitter