Breakfast Casserole Ideas

MerryPoppins

<font color=coral>I posted around Woo Hooty time<b
My mother-in-law is looking for a new breakfast casserole for next month. She called and asked me if I had anything new and tasty that she could use for a group of about 20.

My list of breakfast casseroles is rather slim. She didn't want me to just search cookbooks, since she wants to know it is good. So I thought of you folks. I've had great luck with recipes you shared. Who has a great breakfast casserole? Please share.

Here's three recipes. The first one is our traditional Christmas morning breakfast. We serve it with fruit salad. The second one is good too, from a friend. The third is a quiche recipe that can be used for breakfast, but some people might not be inclined to have chicken in the morning, but it's YUMMY! I bet you could substitute ham or cooked bacon.

BREAKFAST CASSEROLE

This do-ahead recipe will need to be refrigerated overnight the night before serving it. It is NOT heart-smart!

2 ½ c. Kelloggs herb croutons

2 c. grated cheddar cheese

2 pkgs of tube sausage (I like Jimmy Dean's sage variety)

3 cups milk

6 eggs

¾ t. dry mustard.

1 can cream of mushroom soup

½ cup milk

Spray the bottom of a 9x13 pan with cooking spray and toss the croutons into the bottom of the pan. Top with the grated cheese. Brown the sausage and drain. Sprinkle the sausage over the cheese layer. Beat the 3 cups of milk, eggs and dry mustard together and pour over the previous 3 layers. Refrigerate overnight. In the morning, mix the can of soup with the ½ cup milk and pour over the top. Bake 1 ½ hours at 325 degrees (in a glass pan.)

JILL'S BREAKFAST CASSEROLE

10 to 12 slices Canadian bacon or ham

8 slices Swiss cheese

12 eggs (Float on top. Don't mix them. Can lightly break yokes if desired.)

salt and pepper

Layer in 11 x 13 baking dish in order listed. Bake 20 minutes @ 350.

Pour over top:
1/2 pint whipping cream (can use half and half)

1 cup shredded Parmesan cheese

Bake 15 more minutes until lightly browned.

CHICKEN PECAN QUICHE
1 cup flour

1 cup sharp Cheddar, shredded (recipe will require 1 ½ cups total)

¾ cup chopped pecans (recipe will require 1 cup total)

½ tsp salt

¼ tsp paprika

1/3 cup oil

1 c. sour cream

½ cup chicken broth

¼ cup mayonnaise

3 large eggs, lightly beaten

2 cups finely chopped cooked chicken

½ cup sharp Cheddar, shredded

¼ cup minced fresh onion

¼ tsp dried dillweed

3 drops of hot sauce

¼ cup pecan halves

Combine first 5 ingredients in a medium bowl; stir well. Add oil; stir well. Firmly press mixture on bottom an dup sides of a 9" deep dish pieplate. Bake at 350 for 12 minutes and cool completely. Combine sour cream, broth, mayo and eggs; stir with a wire whisk until smooth. Stir in chicken and next 4 ingredients. Pour chicken mixture over prepared crust. Arrange pecan halves over chicken mixture. Bake at 350 for 55 minutes until set. Let stand 10 minutes before serving. You can substitute turkey or a 9 oune package of frozen diced cooked chicken for the chopped cooked chicken

Another breakfast casserole that you could recommend would be the Breakfast Lasagna from the Crystal Palace. Here's the recipe:

Breakfast Lasagna
(6 servings)

Make the pastry cream first

1-1/2 teaspoons vanilla extract
6 egg yolks
1-1/2 cups milk
1/4 teaspoon salt
1/4 cup all-purpose flour
3/4 cup sugar

In a 2 quart saucepan, combine sugar, flour, salt and milk over medium heat and cook stirring until mixture thickens. In a small bowl with a fork, beat egg yolks slightly, beat small amount of milk mixture into yolks. Slowly pour egg mixture back into milk mixture. Stirring constantly, cook over medium low heat until mixture thickens. Remove from heat and stir in vanilla extract. Chill cream until ready to use.

Assembly:

6 pancakes
6 waffles
1 pound of strawberries
8 ounces of blueberries

(You can use frozen waffles and pancakes - I did. You may want to toast them slightly before you assemble the lasagna so they are not too moist.)

Put a thin layer of Pastry cream in a pan, make a layer of waffles, put a layer of pastry cream. Cut strawberries into slices. Take half the strawberries and half the blueberries and make a layer of fruit. Top the fruit with a layer of pancakes, then layer of pastry cream. Garnish the lasagna with the rest of the strawberries and blueberries. Bake in a 350 degree oven for 20 minutes.

When this dish hits the buffet table, it's gone in a matter of seconds! A guaranteed hit!

1 loaf white bread - cubed
8 oz cream cheese - cubed
1 dozen large eggs
1/2 cup maple syrup
1 1/2 cups half and half
2 tablespoons granulated sugar
1 teaspoon vanilla extract
1/4 teaspoon each of nutmeg and cinnamon
speck of salt

butter a 9 x 13 baking pan
place 1/2 of bread cubes in pan
evenly space cream cheese on top of bread
add remaining bread cubes

mix together remaining ingredients and pour evenly over the bread. cover and put in the fridge over night.

Praline topping:

1 cup (2 sticks) butter at room temperature
1 cup packed light brown sugar
1 cup chopped pecans
2 tablespoons light corn syrup
1/2 teaspoon each of nutmeg and cinnamon

using a pastry cutter, or your fingers, mix all ingredients, spread it evenly over the bread. Bake for 40-45 minutes, uncovered, in a 350 degree oven until puffed and lightly golden.

Serve with warm maple syrup. Also good with a dash of fresh whipped cream, or honey

You can also make a potato casserole ahead of time...

8 large Idaho baking potatoes - peeled, cut into 1/4 inch dice (bite size) - boil until half cooked. Drain and set aside.

Make a double batch of a standard white sauce with cheddar cheese.

1/2 pound of cooked ham, cut into small dice. (I always as the deli to slice a honey ham 1/4 thick)

1/2 pound sliced mushrooms
1 large onion - sliced thin
1 tablespoon butter
saute onion and mushrooms

Assembly

Grease 9 x 13 baking dish with butter
place think layer of cheese sauce in bottom of pan
place 1/2 potatoes in bottom of pan
place 1/2 onion, mushrooms and ham on top of potatoes
few generous grinds of black pepper and salt
cover with 1/2 of remaining cheese sauce
repeat layers, ending with cheese sauce, sprinkle top with more shredded cheddar cheese

At this point you can cover and put in fridge over night, or put right into the oven. If you do put it in the fridge, take out and let stand at room temp for about an hour before baking.

Bake at 350 degrees 45 minutes to an hour..Cover with foil the first 30 minutes of baking..remove foil last 15-30 minutes.

Thanks so much for all the ideas! I'll make myself a copy before I pass them on to her. Any others out there?

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!