Breakfast & Lunch on the Go With & Without Bread

Discussion in 'Community Board' started by tarheelmjfan, Jan 7, 2018.

1. tarheelmjfan

tarheelmjfan <font color=red>Proud Redhead<br><font color=blue>

Thanks for all of the suggestions. I really wish I liked coffee. It appears to be a great natural laxative, which would really help a low calorie diet. My DH loves it. Unfortunately, I can't stand the taste. :guilty: We do love soups. I'm definitely going to look for some soup recipes like you've suggested. Your other suggestions sound great, as well.

Thanks for the suggestions.

I'm also a big fan of bread. That's one reason I'm hear asking for suggestions. :laughing: Which brands of bread have you found that are 35 calories?

Yeah, you're diet is the reason I'm here looking for low calorie suggestions. :rotfl:

I definitely need to drink a lot more water.

2. tarheelmjfan

I need to cut out cars as a whole, but bread is the one I eat most often.

Thanks for the suggestions.

Good luck with your weight loss journey. I hope we both find the right balance that helps us maintain a health weight.

3. Avatar

Advertisement

to hide this advert.
  4. tarheelmjfan

Thanks for the support. I'm glad you found something that works for you.

I've never heard of that. I'll look into it.

We do have coolers & food warmers we could take with us. I just need to find the motivation to prepare it all in advance. You all are giving me that motivation.

5. tarheelmjfan

Thanks for the website. I'll check it out.

AnnaFloridaLover likes this.
  6. Southernmiss

Southernmiss I am hazed everyday

Zoodles are zucchini noodles. Cut into ribbons with a spiralizer or thin sliced with a mandolin.

You can cut cauliflower into rice sized pieces or buy it pre done in the fresh or frozen vegetable sections.

tarheelmjfan likes this.
  7. sk!mom

sk!mom DIS Veteran

I'm in Texas and lucky enough to have HEB a couple of minutes from my house. They sell everything ready to go. My DD21 says that her roommate has a zoodle maker but that would be too much effort for me. We're trying to eat healthy and not eat out so while grocery store convenience foods are higher than making it myself. They are still less expensive and healthier than eating out.

https://www.heb.com/product-detail/veggie-noodle-co-organic-zucchini-spirals/2069230

Cauli rice is available in produce but also frozen.

https://www.heb.com/search/results?N=771217373&Ntt=cauliflower+rice&q=cauliflower+rice

https://www.heb.com/search/?q=riced+cauliflower

tarheelmjfan likes this.
  8. tarheelmjfan

Thanks for the recipe & website suggestion. That sounds good.

Thanks for showing me see what I'm looking for. I don't spend a lot of time at the grocery store & probably miss things. Unfortunately, we don't have HEB. We do have several grocery stores to choose from. Hopefully, I'll find the zoodles & cauli rice somewhere.

9. wgeo

wgeo DIS Veteran

I thought I was the only one who still needs cereal for breakfast lol. Every single morning I eat shredded wheat n bran for breakfast. It's been about 20 years now, and I really really miss it when we're traveling.

tarheelmjfan likes this.
  10. AnnaFloridaLover

AnnaFloridaLover DIS Veteran

You didn't ask me but I put half a banana and maybe a kiwi cut up in my oatmeal. Sometimes I add frozen mixed berries to the pot in the last few minutes of my oatmeal cooking. No almond milk or any sweetener.

I know everyone has their preferences but I prefer Bob's Red Meal Rolled Oats. Takes about 5 minutes tops to cook. I pretty much eat oatmeal every day for breakfast. Very healthy and filling.

tarheelmjfan likes this.
  11. tarheelmjfan

I used to eat Raisin Bran every morning. I could start taking a bowl on the go some mornings. BTW, am I the only one that hates milk? I use enough skim milk to keep my cereal wet, then dump out the rest. :o I really can't stomach any other milk.

Thanks for the suggestion. The frozen berries sound like good & easy addition.

wgeo likes this.
  12. wgeo

wgeo DIS Veteran

Skim milk on my cereal and it is the only milk I ever have. If we're traveling and someone offers me 1% I'll survive - but 2% kills me lol

tarheelmjfan likes this.
  13. Christine

Christine Would love to be able to sit on

That's how I eat my cereal also; however, I did change to 1% milk and only the Organic Valley brand. I did get kind of put off by the blue-looking skim that some brands have.

tarheelmjfan likes this.
  14. tarheelmjfan

I've never seen that, but I would definitely be put off of it too. :scared:

Last edited: Jan 14, 2018
  15. HeatherC

HeatherC <font color=blue>Alas...these people I live with t

Pepperidge Farm Lite Breads are only 45 calories a piece.

tarheelmjfan likes this.
  16. tarheelmjfan

Thanks

17. MolonLabe

MolonLabe DTOM

A good protein shake, not a wieght loss one, but something like Premier Protein makes a great breakfast substitute. 180ish calories and 30 grams of protein. You can score them a 18 pack from Costco for $29 bucks and this month they are $5 off. I love the chocolate and can drink it cold or room temp. Not crazy thick and I can down one in under a minute if I need to. I have very hectic mornings so during the week, that's usually my breakfast. I also followup it up with a Kind bar an hour or two later. The Premier is probably the only ready to drink protein shake that isn't filled with (as many) of the crazy nasty fillers and emulsifiers most of the others are. --No I don't work for them or for costco, lol

The best way is even if you aren't counting calories to LOOK at the calories for everything you take in, every time. i.e. is that 180 calorie soda worth it? Did you trade it for a 'healthier' juice that has 220 calories? :eek: A single whopper is over 600 calories, a big mac over 500. Drop mayo (or special sauce) off either of them and you shave off about 100 calories. Everything adds up.

Good luck!

tarheelmjfan likes this.
  18. tarheelmjfan

Thanks for the suggestions. We don't have a Costco membership, but I can look into the shake.

19. MolonLabe

MolonLabe DTOM

They have the shakes everywhere. Costco is just the cheapest I've ever seen them. I also buy a lot of organic stuff and they have a better selection, IMO anyway, than Sams club. Not sure about the others, those are the only two that are close to me right now.

tarheelmjfan likes this.
  20. Imzadi

Imzadi ♥ Saved by an angel in a trench coat!

::yes:: I was on South Beach for a while. It is sooooo restrictive, especially on the first 2 phases that I felt I was being PUNISHED :( while on that diet. I couldn't wait to get to Phase 3 so I could eat more of a variety of items. Then one day, it dawned on me that Phase 3 is basically the same thing, just a few more foods, but it is maintenance level, and they call it a "lifestyle" not really a diet, so I'd NEVER be off those foods and would still feeling punished all the time. :headache: :badpc: I quit that "lifestyle/diet." :crazy2:

I am grateful that South Beach taught me the real 4 food groups, (not the 4 food groups they teach in grade school,) but to recognize the difference between proteins, carbs (both simple & complex,) fats & fiber, and HOW they METABOLIZE in the body and why & how we should be eating them in better/different RATIOS than we've been traditionally taught here in the U.S. in the last several decades of post World War II/the pushing of processed food era. The U.S has the fastest growing rate of diabetes and obesity than any other country. It is due to how we eat, not genetics.

I tried Weight Watchers after that with their old Points Plus program, but while they attribute points to foods & recipes, :thumbsup2 they were too carb heavy back then. Didn't understand there is an actual science with data of how CARBS metabolize into FAT and is stored in the body. It wasn't a diabetic friendly diet, except to promote opening a LOT of artificial sweeteners for replacement for sugar in one hand, while loading into the mouth too many carbs with the other hand.

I recently checked their new Freestyle Program and wanted to see what their new zero points foods are. They finally understand the science of how foods metabolize in the body & a better ratio of protein to carbs to fats to fiber better. :thumbsup2 Although some of their zero points foods items is a bit ridiculous. Some people will think 98% lean chicken breasts being 0 points means they can eat 5 of them for one meal and it will be okay. :rolleyes: There will always be massively stupid people, so I guess they had choose to create a diet regardless, that more people with hopefully enough common sense & intelligence will be on it and know that is not the intention of making some foods zero points. With Oprah as their newest & biggest celeb promoting WW as a diet where one can eat everything (in good proportions,) I'm sure she's had a lot of say in their new program.

I read a blogger that recently summed up their new philosophy. I actually like it. It is sooo much better than South Beach, which never had any satisfying food combos. :thumbsup2

"You need to remember, in Weight Watchers, we talk about what will satisfy you vs what you want. So some days, maybe only a really good piece of sharp cheddar will work for you & others, you can be satisfied by some fat free shredded cheddar. Some days, maybe a 99% fat free Hebrew National will do the trick, & others, you want a full fat Hebrew National. You learn to recognize what you need, what you want, and what will satisfy."​

I will always be on a primarily lean higher protein based diet as I am genetically predisposed to diabetes and need to keep weight off so as not to become diabetic. A sluggish metabolism due to thyroid disease is not helping. And I have certain food allergies/intolerances that make being on any diet probably too restrictive in available choices. I am now looking at more 1-3 point Weight Watcher food choices & recipes to add on as sides, snacks & treats, while not quite being on the WW program. (They are still too much into artificial sweeteners and processed foods, especially luncheon meats.) Thank god for Google. I can look up the points of anything I do eat or look for better substitutions other people have already found.

And there will always be certain foods that I can/will not give up, like my Coffeemate creamer in the morning. I'd rather eat the "points" than give that up, as Coffeemate satisfies me in a way that almond/rice/soy/coconut milk and the fat-free Coffeemate does not. :crazy2: And I've even seen WW people recommend some weird protein powders to add to coffee. Uh NO! :scared:

Last edited: Jan 15, 2018 at 7:15 AM
  21. HeatherC

HeatherC <font color=blue>Alas...these people I live with t

Look in Weight Watchers. There new plan really is a way to eat for life. It stresses lean proteins, fruits and vegetables and leaves a little room for everything in moderation.

Yes you can give up carbs and lose weight or eat only certain foods and lose weight. But can you do that for life? I can't! I love wine, cheese, bread, a piece of cake every now and then, etc. With WW you can have that....forever.

Plus, their Connect community is wonderful! Lots of support and people helping each other out and motivating others.

I started again right after Christmas and am down 3 lbs so far. I am doing online only.