Breathing in WDW

MousetersInc

Mouseketeer
My wife has asthma and has a hard time around any smoking or vaping, and often is set off by hotel rooms (whether from cleaning products or maybe stealthy spores?). I hope anyone else with respiratory issues can help us know what to avoid and what assets there are.

An air purifier in our bedroom is often helpful. If we were driving I'd definitely bring ours, but I don't think I can cram it into our luggage as we're flying. Does anyone know if the resorts would be able to provide one? (We're at the Wilderness Lodge if that matters.) Has anyone had difficulty with rooms? I've heard something about a deep clean; is that something you can have just for the asking?

The other concern is avoiding smoking areas. I see that there are some right outside the entrances to Space Mtn and Big Thunder Mtn. Is there ever trouble with standing in line for these and avoiding smoke?

Any other tips?

Thanks!

Deep clean: yes; call, explain needs, room should be deep cleaned; you will pretty much be obligated to accept that room, even if you don't like t he location, or distance, or noise...
Air purifier: check www.OrlandoMedicalRentals.com, which has the greatest stock of medical equipment.
DSAs: the one near BTMR is across the wide walkway, along the river. Disney tries to segregate smoking into extremely small areas - but be aware and alert, not all smokers comply; you need to be proactive.

Disney does a good job for me with my asthma ( everyone's asthma is different and what triggers one might not another ) with this said I find it very hard to go on BTMRR ( mostly because I have to use the exit to ride it, and if I am standing outside when someone is smoking and the wind is blowing just right it can often trigger an asthma attack. But I really can not see this a problem for someone in the line it self. splash is to far away for it to get there. now this does not mean you will not have the ideait that light up just walking around too.some of the deluxe hotels have sents in their lobby that trigger my asthma but I mostly stay at the cheaper ones so I would not tell you what ones they are. make sure you bring the rescue inhaler and any pre-meds she takes

I think the OP isn't considering scale. An inch on a map can be several hundred feet in real life.
True, and a 25px icon marking the DSA can leave some uncertainty when a pixel is 10ft. But also, for a first-time trip to WDW, I don't know how the infrastructure relates to the DSAs--e.g. maybe "Don't worry about that one; the DSA is just outside a door and you'll be able to go right inside a building," etc. Just looking to benefit from people's actual experience. Thanks!

Generally DSAs aren't right outside a door (some possible exceptions: OKW/SSR outside each building on the main walkway; Epcot had one near a restroom near SpaceShip Earth)

I have had more issues at the resorts. Either with the location of the DSA being on a path I need to take to get to either the bus stop or main building/food, or people just smoking wherever they please. The other really bad area for smelling smoke is in AK. The smoking area that they have right off of the path from Africa to Asia is so concentrated that it always spills out into path way and even to the Harambe Market eating area. I have to hold my breath and rush past the area it is that bad.

They do make n95 mask that fold flats that you can bring and if you have to walk through a DSA or if someone is smoking where they should not you can put it on. But for the most part you can avoid the DSA just a few places it is harder to.

I second the issues with the resorts. At the parks they are pretty tucked away now. The resorts are another issue - there are more DSAs and they are on a lot of pathways to get to main areas (central building, buses, etc.)

I second the issues with the resorts. At the parks they are pretty tucked away now. The resorts are another issue - there are more DSAs and they are on a lot of pathways to get to main areas (central building, buses, etc.)

Way too many times I have come across people walking and smoking around the resorts. On my last trip the past October I was at SSR and a woman was smoking just in the hallway.

They make small wearable air purifiers. I have one (or should I say had as it seems to have vanished from my luggage:mad:) and it works decently. The one I had works by emmiting negative ions.

The only hotel I've had a problem with was the Swan. The room they gave me was very musty. Thankfully we were going out to dinner, so we dropped our bags, I sprayed the carpet with febreeze, cranked the air on high, and left. When we came back a few hours later the smell was almost gone. I put my little purifier by the stand by my bed, and slept that way.

I want to add what really sets me off is the smoke from the fireworks. If you decide to watch them, make sure you stay out the the smoke. Watch what way the wind is blowing.

Last edited:
We've had mold issues when in a first floor room at the onsite resorts - if that's a trigger, ask for the top floor of the resort!

Also, Spaceship Earth has the "Rome is burning" smoky smell on the attraction - might want to avoid that ride!

As others have wisely noted, everyone's asthma is different. I am very sensitive to colognes and tobacco smoke can literally be life threatening for me. I've had no issues with anything in the rooms, except for one time we had a room that had obviously been smoked in by the last guest and resort management immediately put us in a different room. I don't use an air purifier, nor have I ever requested the deep cleaning.

As others have noted the DSA at resorts are more difficult for me than in the parks. You are not staying at a value so this will not apply, but several of the values have the DSA close to the food court.

In Epcot Norway and France (are there others??) have stores with perfumes. I can't go in or even near them. I hold my breathe after the FEA ride and bolt for the outside door.

In Epcot Norway and France (are there others??) have stores with perfumes. I can't go in or even near them. I hold my breathe after the FEA ride and bolt for the outside door.
OMG me too. I hate that I have not been able to go into the Norway gift shop in almost 2 decades. It is so bad sometimes with even spilling out into the pavilion that I have to skip Norway. There is no reason for it to smell that much of perfume.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter