Brief report and some AP info from the park (last for awhile) + pics

WonkaKid

DIS Veteran
Crowds were great today! I understand that all passes below Sig and Sig+ were blocked. It made a marked difference.

I didn't get over to Pirates till about 11:30. I usually make it closer to 9:30. But I got so wrapped up in Buzz... In any event, the wait time was still only about 10 - 15 minutes. A friend has Sig+ and plans to go next Sunday, the 23rd. I look forward to hearing about park attendance. I've heard different things.

First in the park today, as I usually am. A couple of kids were about to run ahead of me but they had the good manners to wait until I got my picture of Main Street. Nice kids.

I was told today that price increases are expected for sometime in February. I was also told -- and this needs to be verified --that AP holders can pay for their renewal now (beating the price increase) irrespective of when their passes expire. For example, my pass expires next June. However, if I pay the full renewal price now, it will lock in the price (sort of like buying AP futures) and then guests' passes will renew automatically -- either on the day of expiration or once the 40-day countdown begins. If anyone has more color on this, details would be appreciated. I meant to get this clarified today from Guest Services but time got away from me.

I imagine you're all aware that the SoCal AP is being phased out. Current SC holders are allowed to renew, however if they miss the expiration date by even a day, the pass is then gone forever.

I go home to Chicago tomorrow for a long holiday break. I won't be back at DL until Jan 13. That is a long time for this DL addict. But it can't be helped. I'm sure it'll be all the sweeter for my extended absence. Where I live in Chicago is walking distance from the house where Walt was born. I may walk by and grab some pics if I get desperate for a dose of Disney.

Buzz scoring was hit and miss today. That was a little disappointing since it worked perfectly on my last two visits. Two highlights: I broke 2M on one gun and scored more than 600,000 on the other (see pic below). I also, in effect, got the entire board today. Someone asked a few days ago if I'd ever done that. Today was the first time. You'll all notice that the fifth and sixth-place scores are simply a repeat of the fourth-place score, so those, then, belong to me.

Lastly, as a complete aside, I mentioned on this group a few days ago that I recently completed a new TV pilot script. Last night I happened to run into someone I'm acquainted with -- a fellow Chicagoan -- who's created/written two very successful shows and just wrapped a new one. I mentioned my pilot briefly and he suggested I email him about it, which I will. He's always been cool and supportive. You never now what might happen. Anything from nothing to a referral to the agency that reps him. Who knows...? As always, wish me luck.

Some park pics:

IMG_8035.JPG

IMG_8038.JPG

IMG_8039.JPG

IMG_8040.JPG

IMG_8049.JPG

IMG_8052.JPG

IMG_8053.JPG

IMG_8062.JPG

IMG_8065.JPG

IMG_8069.jpg

Last edited:
Pics part two:

IMG_8038.JPG

Buzz scores.
IMG_8044.JPG

IMG_8045.JPG

IMG_8058.jpg

This last pic is of the Xmas tree at the Citadel Outlet. It's on the way home for me from DL, just off the 5. The stores are top notch (Calvin Klein, Armani, Nike) and the deals are amazing. I bought several shirts today from Banana Republic at about 80-90% off. Seriously.
IMG_8071.JPG

Good luck to you and enjoy your trip.

I have no info on AP renewals, but what you described seems similar to the D23 membership change that happened sometime this year. For that, Gold members have to keep a card on file that will be used for membership renewals. This essentially removed Disney giftcards as a form of payment for renewals.

Very, very interesting about the AP renewals. Agree with the pp that it does sound similar to the D23 auto renewals. Any DiSers out there with more information, please update here! Rob, we were just in the parks on Saturday and your photos are already making me homesick. :)

it will lock in the price (sort of like buying AP futures) and then guests' passes will renew automatically -- either on the day of expiration or once the 40-day countdown begins.
Does this mean you could lose 40 days off this year's pass period?

Thanks for the info, have a nice visit home, and good luck with your pilot script!!! Oh, and...Hurry ba-ack!

Does this mean you could lose 40 days off this year's pass period?
I doubt it. That doesn't feel/sound like Disney's style.

Thanks for the info, have a nice visit home, and good luck with your pilot script!!! Oh, and...Hurry ba-ack!

Thank you! It's always great to get home for a bit, sub-zero temps accepted.

We were blocked out yesterday and Saturday so we hit Splitsville and The Void. Back today and tomorrow for the very last two days of our APs. Had really been hoping to meet you before the end, but looks like it will need to wait a year until we (maybe) get passes again. Good luck with the script!

Safe travels home to Chicago (I am also from the Chicago area (north suburbs), but thankfully do not have to go home in frigid yucky weather since all of my family is in CA.

Regarding the AP renewals, that would be new for next year if that happened. Am honestly not sure and not heard anything like that. I will renew early February (late March expiration), but since I get the Premier (for DL and WDW), I always just say I need the 60 days renewal due to fastpasses (even though I go in early March before my pass expires, although if airfare was right, I could go again in April).

Back today and tomorrow for the very last two days of our APs. Had really been hoping to meet you before the end, but looks like it will need to wait a year until we (maybe) get passes again. Good luck with the script!

Sorry about that :-(. Let me know if anything changes. For a while I didn’t have a AP (can’t even imagine that now - there are several people I see every Sunday and would hate to break up that routine). A friend scored me two free tix. You never know - maybe something like that will happen for you. Or maybe you’ll realize you can’t do without DL for so long and will renew next month (prior to the price increase) :-).

Thanks for the good wishes on my pilot script! You never know :-).

I was there yesterday too. It was dead for the first two hours, we did 7 rides in that two hours. Going on Friday for the last day of our APs until next year, but we are going mostly to take Christmas pictures.

There is no discount for renewing your pass. They eliminated the renewal discount in Feb 2018. If you are ready to renew your pass early, just buy an Annual Pass voucher now, you have a full 365 days from purchase to redeem it and your Annual Pass will be valid for a full 365 days from date of redemption. The only benefit you have waiting until your 40 day window to renew is if you have the SoCal Pass or have the grand fathered Signature AP Photopass or annual parking add-on benefit or if you want to downgrade your pass and still have the ability to purchase the parking add-on.

Very, very interesting about the AP renewals. Agree with the pp that it does sound similar to the D23 auto renewals. Any DiSers out there with more information, please update here! Rob, we were just in the parks on Saturday and your photos are already making me homesick. :)
I am very interested in learning more about this! Our passes expire 2/27 and I was planning on renewing at the 40-day mark (late January) to hopefully renew before the price increase. I’m actually upgrading my son’s pass so we can go to Star Wars together this summer (he is a HUGE Star Wars fan) and also so he won’t be blocked out of DL most of they summer (he’s currently Deluxe).

Side note: Having Deluxe AP blocked out so long this summer makes that pass a TERRIBLE value, ugh!

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter