Bright Suns? Where in the Star Wars Universe did that greeting come from?

RJMC

Mouseketeer
Seeing the cast preview footage starting to surface online, there is no doubt that the land in Hollywood Studios looks very immersive and impressive. The forced perspective on the mountain ranges look exceptional.

But I absolutely also can see that the exact same feedback that surfaced from visitors over in California will probably surface here in Orlando too.

And that is that although the land looks 'StarWars'ish, and is enjoyable to visit, it just doesn't feature enough of the iconic elements that we've come to know and love.

Someone said to me that they felt it was a bit like going to see your favourite band in concert, but then them only performing new songs, and none of the classics that you were hoping to hear.
  • No one uttering the words 'May the Force be With You' - instead welcoming you with a new made up greeting 'Bright Suns' ???? or “Till the Spire” , a weird farewell.
  • No Luke, Han, Leia, Vader, R2D2 or C3P0.
  • Noone officially allowed to use the term 'Light Saber' (as they are contaband in this place apparently!)
  • Unfamiliar terminology and place names that sound like they belong, but are totally new (Oga’s Cantina??)
  • Well yes, they do have the Millennium Falcon, and so parents of youngsters (who will no doubt a few mins into entering the land be asking you "when do we see the stuff from the movies, or from my collection of toys") will be pleased to know that after entering, and going through some of the other 'StarWars'ish' themed areas, you will eventually come nose-to-nose with a full size falcon.
  • However, that feel good, familar feeling, will soon be blasted away on entering the attraction itself, where you will be briefed by an amazing animatronic, but again a character you've probably never heard of or seen before.
Now all that said - Do i want to visit?. Oh yes.
Will i enjoy it.? I am sure I will
Will i think it looks great?. absolutely

The place looks amazing. Everyone says its amazing. But equally, at the same time. is it that BATUU, (the name of the fictional place you are actually visiting at Galaxy's edge), is quite simply a second tier location in the Star Wars universe that just wasn't interesting enough to use in the movies?

Last edited:
It's a misfire almost all the way around (the food is perhaps the best thing in the land) and I wonder when Disney will finally concede that point.

A small percentage of people will love it, an equal percentage will like it enough, but I suspect the majority of people will leave feeling underwhelmed and a bit confused as to what they actually just experienced.

It's kind of like DCA 1.0. That only lasted like 10 years before it was given a complete facelift.

To your original question, Bright Suns comes from Batuu which is in the SW Universe.
This point has been discussed at length in several other threads. I will chime in quickly. Bright Suns is their greeting because they have 3 suns. MTFBWY is not used by everyone, in fact, it is only used by some Rebels and although most people know it, it does not go with the story being presented.
Hondo is actually very familiar to SW fans, he's been in Clone Wars, Rebels and some books. He's a scoundrel and smuggler so it fits perfect with the story that the Falcon is portraying
Batuu has been visited by Padme, Anakin and other characters (again all through books) Dok Ondar is mentioned by name in Solo
The story of Batuu can be learned by talking to the inhabitants, I think the biggest issue is the theme park mentality that everything needs to be presented in an obvious way. That's all well and fine, but once SW comes into the mix, it has always been about exploring new places and meeting new characters. Lucas Film had a big influence on the land and it shows and, I particularly are thankful for it.
I truly understand that people want to see familiar things in every turn and you can actually see a lot of familiar things if you take the time to look for them. There's a large group of people that absolutely love the place and visit quiet often, there's a group of people that enjoy it but not to the degree of going every week and there's a group of people that are very disappointed. This happens with EVERYTHING Disney. You will never please everyone.

I'm all for Disney creating new ideas and concepts that are not IP related. Here though, they tried to combine an IP with a new concept and story. It's not a failure... But its not epic (sorry couldnt help it) either. I think it has to be one or the other. Either create an awesome new concept not at all relared to IP or recreate the IP exactly like the film (I'm thinking of you Carsland). Perhaps a future expansion will do that for Star Wars.

I'm all for Disney creating new ideas and concepts that are not IP related. Here though, they tried to combine an IP with a new concept and story. It's not a failure... But its not epic (sorry couldnt help it) either. I think it has to be one or the other. Either create an awesome new concept not at all relared to IP or recreate the IP exactly like the film (I'm thinking of you Carsland). Perhaps a future expansion will do that for Star Wars.
But doesn't Disney/LucasFilm create a new concept and story with each film? with each cartoon? book? comic? and it's all SW. 4 years ago did SW know and love Porgs? Rey? Finn? Jakkuu? ...I can go on. Do we know if Batuu will be in Rise of Skywalker? Do we know if Rise of the Resistance will have anything to do with Rise of Skywalker? Again, SW is all about exploring new things, look at the backlash on JJ Abrams because his story was very similar to A New Hope fans said they wanted something new. And now we are getting something new with a lot of old elements and people are still not happy. Again it's a matter of you can't please everyone.

To your original question, Bright Suns comes from Batuu which is in the SW Universe.
This point has been discussed at length in several other threads. I will chime in quickly. Bright Suns is their greeting because they have 3 suns.

There are three suns on Batuu? Where are the other 2?

This point has been discussed at length in several other threads. I will chime in quickly. Bright Suns is their greeting because they have 3 suns. MTFBWY is not used by everyone, in fact, it is only used by some Rebels and although most people know it, it does not go with the story being presented.
Hondo is actually very familiar to SW fans, he's been in Clone Wars, Rebels and some books. He's a scoundrel and smuggler so it fits perfect with the story that the Falcon is portraying
Batuu has been visited by Padme, Anakin and other characters (again all through books) Dok Ondar is mentioned by name in Solo
The story of Batuu can be learned by talking to the inhabitants, I think the biggest issue is the theme park mentality that everything needs to be presented in an obvious way. That's all well and fine, but once SW comes into the mix, it has always been about exploring new places and meeting new characters. Lucas Film had a big influence on the land and it shows and, I particularly are thankful for it.
I truly understand that people want to see familiar things in every turn and you can actually see a lot of familiar things if you take the time to look for them. There's a large group of people that absolutely love the place and visit quiet often, there's a group of people that enjoy it but not to the degree of going every week and there's a group of people that are very disappointed. This happens with EVERYTHING Disney. You will never please everyone.

I think that's cool and all, but, and I may be completely off base with this, the problem is with it most likely being so crowded in there and just swarms of people, it's going to be hard to get that type of immersion. Want to talk with the people working in there to learn more about the place? So are hundreds of other people.

Like I said, maybe I'm wrong on that

Excellent question for the citizens of Batuu. And 2 moons btw :)

I've been in the land 5 times now and have never heard anyone actually say either Bright Suns, Rising Moons, or Til the Spire. I have heard all kinds of other nonsense, but ironically, not these salutations.

I've been in the land 5 times now and have never heard anyone actually say either Bright Suns, Rising Moons, or Til the Spire. I have heard all kinds of other nonsense, but ironically, not these salutations.
I think it’s more prevalent in WDW’s SWGE. I didn’t hear any of those phrases in DL but have seen them posted by WDW CMs who have gone to the CM previews.

The DIS Tweets also included Bright Suns...I had to google to see what I had missed in regards to the # of suns and moons. 😊 I know this is making @yulilin3 lol or shake her head. 🤣

I think it’s more prevalent in WDW’s SWGE. I didn’t hear any of those phrases in DL but have seen them posted by WDW CMs who have gone to the CM previews.

The DIS Tweets also included Bright Suns...I had to google to see what I had missed in regards to the # of suns and moons. 😊 I know this is making @yulilin3 lol or shake her head. 🤣
You will learn young padawan

I think it's safe to say SWGE was not your cup of tea, and that's perfectly ok.
I have seen plenty of videos from DL and in all I've heard them say Bright suns. Rising moons is good evening so haven't really heard that on video

Opening day at Disneyland is was very prevalent. I’m sure it’s wearing down a bit now that it has been open for a couple months.

I think that's cool and all, but, and I may be completely off base with this, the problem is with it most likely being so crowded in there and just swarms of people, it's going to be hard to get that type of immersion. Want to talk with the people working in there to learn more about the place? So are hundreds of other people.

Like I said, maybe I'm wrong on that
I don’t think the general guest is seeking out cast to find the hidden details of the land. While they certainly should be that’s more something that the Uber Disney fans like us would do.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter