Hanging up my running shoes

CHICAGO POSTMORTEM
tenor.gif

And some good parts of the trip too!

Part 1 - Pre-race fun!
As I shared earlier, the Chicago marathon and my goal of a sub-5:00 time didn't happen. I'll admit to be being pretty darn disappointed in my performance even though I do know that just finishing a marathon is an accomplishment. And, I am happy to say I finished and that brings my tally of completed marathons to 8 now, which still sort of blows my mind, but I still wish I could better understand what happened. But, I'll share the good parts of the trip here as well along with some pictures!

We headed out bright and early on Friday from the airport but ended up with about an hour delay due to some storms in Chicago. Rain was definitely a recurring theme for this trip. Still happily chillin' in the airport.

Once in the air our flight was uneventful and once we gathered our luggage we hopped on the train to head to our hotel. We had chosen to stay at the Silversmith Hotel which is just a block or so off Michigan near Millennium Park. Great location. We were there around 11 and were told they usually have an early check-in fee but they were waiving it for Marathon weekend. She gave us a great corner room on the 8th floor. It was a huge room with a massive bathroom with a separate tub and shower. YAY!
https://flic.kr/p/2awbzdc

We headed off to grab an early lunch at a great little spot called Toni Patisserie and Cafe. YUM!! It's always good to eat and hydrate before a race!
https://flic.kr/p/299sGYL

It was delicious.

We next took the train and headed off to find the expo. It was a bit of a walk from the green line station at Cermak, but we managed. Once there, it took us a few minutes to get our bearings, but we got our bibs picked up easily and then headed to get our shirts. While doing that we got some texts from @DopeyBadger and @roxymama and met up with them briefly to say hello and share our nerves!! We knew we'd be seeing Roxymama before the race as she graciously offered to let us be her guests at her charity's pre-race meet. We did a quick pass through the official merchandise area, but the line to check-out was INSANE, so opted to just order a couple of shirts online and get them shipped home. As we were walking through though we noticed a Saucony booth with Chicago marathon shoes in Kinvara 9s (which are my running shoe) and I couldn't resist!

https://flic.kr/p/299sGWm

We got back to the hotel and relaxed a bit before meeting up with a dear college friend of mine who lives in the suburbs. We had a delicious dinner and wonderful conversation and then it was off to sleep.

Saturday we took it very easy. The original plan was to meet up with some Dissers for a shake-out run but the weather was not cooperating (thunder and lightening in the area), so the run got canceled. We had breakfast at the hotel and then wandered out to take in the city. We walked some around the area and a little ways up Michigan before deciding we should rest our legs. We spent time working through our pacing strategy from Billy and I made notes in my phone. We knew that GPS was not something we could rely on, so I made a list of elapsed time at each mile marker and when we would need to change pace to meet our goal. My nerves were getting really bad here and I was already worried about the race. That anxiety would come back to bite me in a big way I think during the race. We met our friends again for an early dinner (great again) and then it was off for an early bedtime because the next day was RACE DAY!!!

Congratulations again on finishing a World Marathon Major, and your 8th marathon! So impressive! Also, love the shoes!

As for missing goals, most of the people I was following who had a goal for that race didn't make it, so don't feel too bad that. I had a rough Chicago last year, but it's just part of the live and learn experiences of marathon running. Just looking at the weather data online, the humidity looked to be high even as the temps weren't as bad as last year. I'm curious how the conditions felt to you actually running on the course, and how much of a factor you think weather was. Looking at my own results, I definitely do poorly in warmer temperatures. All my PRs were set at ~40F, give or take 5 degrees, and that seems to be my sweet spot.

Congratulations again on finishing a World Marathon Major, and your 8th marathon! So impressive! Also, love the shoes!

As for missing goals, most of the people I was following who had a goal for that race didn't make it, so don't feel too bad that. I had a rough Chicago last year, but it's just part of the live and learn experiences of marathon running. Just looking at the weather data online, the humidity looked to be high even as the temps weren't as bad as last year. I'm curious how the conditions felt to you actually running on the course, and how much of a factor you think weather was. Looking at my own results, I definitely do poorly in warmer temperatures. All my PRs were set at ~40F, give or take 5 degrees, and that seems to be my sweet spot.

Thank you. I'd love to attribute my problems to the weather, but I don't really think that was it. Certainly, the rain and wind weren't helpful at all, but I can't say my problems were really related to that. Not ideal conditions to be sure and for a shot at my goal maybe ideal was needed, but I can't say I felt like the temps or humidity really hurt me any.

That hotel is wonderful looking! I'll have to remember that for future race-cations/date nights.

Highly recommend the hotel. We were right beside the L, so she did ask if we wanted the back side of the hotel to be further away, but we felt the train noise was pretty muted on the 8th floor and it never bothered us.

Agree, 8 marathons is impressive!! And those shoes...:love:

Thank you. I rarely buy shoes at full price, but I couldn't resist!

Congrats on finishing. Sorry we did not meet up. Damn lightening. Will definitely attempt to hit those meets at Disney in January. I don’t post much but follow along.

THE ONE WHERE THE WHEELS DIDN'T JUST FALL OFF, THEY EXPLODED
giphy.gif

Chicago marathon - Part 2
We got up a little before 6 to get ready for the race. We already had things laid out so it was pretty quick to get ourselves situated and drink a cup of coffee. Radar and forecast were not terribly encouraging, so we felt pretty confident we were going to be rained upon during the race, but nothing we could control. Ready to do it!

We left the hotel and walked to Roosevelt University where @roxymama had added us to her guest list. It was awesome! We got to have seats inside and they had coffee, juice, bagels, etc. Roxy and her hubby arrived a short time later and we all chatted nervously in anticipation of the race. Best pre-race picture!!!
https://flic.kr/p/N9wMvv

I knew Roxy would do fantastically and she DID!!! WOOHOO!!! They announced when it was time for the Orange corrals to head out and we said goodbye to Roxy's husband and walked the few blocks to the start. We hugged Roxy goodbye and wished her luck on the race and headed to our corral. The line was a bit backed up to get through the gate, but we managed fine and dropped off our bag and headed for the L corral. So far, the sky was just spitting a bit, but nothing too major. We got into corral L and settled ourselves around the 5:00 pacer. We expected them to be well ahead of us at first since we'd be starting out slowly but obviously hoped to catch and pass them in the later miles.
https://flic.kr/p/PLXkZs

While we were waiting it began raining in some earnest, so we pulled out our emergency ponchos and wore those as we slowly crept forward. I was really glad we had those as people around us were already soaked by the time we got to the start.

Shortly before the start, we pitched our heat shields and ponchos and were ready to go. Per Strava and my watch, we crossed the start line at 8:50 AM.

Our plan was to run continuously at an 11:45 pace until we felt we could comfortably get into our intervals. Honestly it wasn't that crowded where we were and most people had a pace pretty similar to ours, so we really started our intervals around mile 2 or so. We were staying pretty much on that pace for the first few miles. We would just check elapsed time at each mile marker as a guide since our watches were already basically useless. We stopped at some potties around mile 4 or 5 I think and lost around 5 minutes, but again we were pretty comfortably on pace so it was fine, but even though it was fine, we still started pushing our pace more than we should have and it just got us pretty stressed out.
https://flic.kr/p/2bUCY2T
That stress I think was really our downfall. I never got into a zone where the miles just clicked by. I felt like I was constantly searching for the next mile marker and checking our pace all the while still looking at my watch which was basically useless. Each mile just felt like it took an eternity. By the time we hit mile 8, my back, neck and shoulders were aching and it never let up. The only think I can attribute that to was just anxiety and stress and that I was just incredibly tense and tight. By the time we hit mile 11, we were off pace overall but only by about 10 minutes or so (and we were pacing for a 4:50ish race) but it didn't matter. I was mentally and physically defeated. Around mile 14, I seriously considered quitting. I was so emotionally defeated and disappointed in myself. I felt like I should be doing more and couldn't figure out why I couldn't make myself do it. So, we just stopped our 4:00/:30 intervals and switched to 2:00/:30 intervals, but even that became difficult for me. The tightness in my back and shoulders was causing tightness now in my chest and it just snowballed from there.

I won't bother to tell you all the negativity pouring through my mind and out my mouth onto poor Chris, but this was probably the most miserable I've ever been in a race. The second half of the race felt like it lasted an eternity (and it kind of did.) I have no idea where this shot was taken, but my face is pretty indicative of how I felt.
https://flic.kr/p/2bUCY2T

Eventually the last mile came and we managed to finish and I even managed a couple of smiles.
https://flic.kr/p/N9MGpt

We got back to the hotel and got cleaned up. Our original plan was to go out to dinner but neither of us wanted to, so we just got some carry out pizza that we ate in the room and went to sleep early.

I'm still proud of finishing and I'm happy to have finally run Chicago but upset that I didn't enjoy it more. There were amazing moments (running through Chinatown was so fun) and great crowds even with the crappy weather, but it certainly wasn't all I'd imagined. Maybe my expectations were too high. Maybe my goals too lofty (maybe a sub-5:00 is just not in the cards for me). Maybe marathons and big PRs aren't meant for me. Maybe I'm just still feeling sorry for myself and I need to snap out of it. :D Time will tell I suppose. I'm still really happy we earned these beauties and that I did it with my best friend by my side.

And, not to worry. We rallied to enjoy our last day in Chicago and I'll share more on that in the next post.

https://flic.kr/p/N9wMoB
https://flic.kr/p/N9wMoB

Did your Nike merch deliver yet? I ordered the jacket and a dri-fit shirt. Got tracking on both, delivered today!!! So now I can model for my recap...which I swear is coming tonight!

Not yet. I don't remember getting any kind of notice yet on delivery, but I hope it comes soon! I ordered the quarter zip shirt. I debated a lot about the jacket, but just didn't think I really needed it and since I bought the shoes felt like I'd already spent enough money.

Congrats on finishing. Sorry we did not meet up. Damn lightening. Will definitely attempt to hit those meets at Disney in January. I don’t post much but follow along.

Thank you and I wish we'd had the chance to meet as well. And a HUGE congrats to you!!!

Wow! 8 marathons! That’s amazing! Your hotel looks beautiful. Super fun you that you ran into Billy and roxymama! Anxiety is the WORST!!!!!

I can carry a lot of tension in my shoulders/neck on long runs (something I'm working on!), so I can feel the pain you were in... I am so sorry that happened! When you run a bajillion marathons like you have, unfortunately every race probably can't be great, but it still stinks. It sounds like there were still plenty of positives (shoes, dis-friends, parts of the race, Chicago!) to make the weekend good though!

Wow! 8 marathons! That’s amazing! Your hotel looks beautiful. Super fun you that you ran into Billy and roxymama! Anxiety is the WORST!!!!!

There were some fantastic parts to the trip. The good definitely outweighed the bad!

I can carry a lot of tension in my shoulders/neck on long runs (something I'm working on!), so I can feel the pain you were in... I am so sorry that happened! When you run a bajillion marathons like you have, unfortunately every race probably can't be great, but it still stinks. It sounds like there were still plenty of positives (shoes, dis-friends, parts of the race, Chicago!) to make the weekend good though!

I need to work on that tension as well. Absolutely time for me to get serious about my yoga and core strength training again. I blew that off for most of this training cycle and I think it makes a big difference for me.

And, so many positives for the weekend!!

Way to finish! I feel your pain. I’ve had runs where I felt the same way you described and some that I didn’t even show up to! I’m in a rut with the mental aspect of running and decided that “A” races and chasing PRs may not be my thing. Maybe I’ve already peaked? I’m now trying to enjoy training and pacing friends. Maybe one day I can be paced to a PR? You are so lucky to run with your best friend!!! I find running with someone has helped me tremendously! Thanks for sharing your story even if it’s not the way you planned.

So ... I know I said I wasnt going to talk about my race, but ... this is exactly what happened to me last week. After the portapotty stop I saw how far behind I was and tried to push myself to catch up (even though I would probably have been fine if I had stayed on plan, since my plan was to try to come in a few minutes ahead of goal), but in my case my body (or possibly my brain) just wouldn't do it. So I can definitely relate to that. I wish I had some advice or insight to share, but my plan to avoid this in the future is to just not pee during races, which probably doesnt help. I can offer lots of sympathy and commiseration, though .... it's tough when you have a goal and you dont hit it. It's tough when one thing goes wrong during a race and it spirals from there. At the end of the day, sometimes all you can do is keep moving forward and hope the next race is better.

Congrats on surviving your 8th marathon and finishing despite having a really tough day!

AND THEN THE SUN APPEARED
cinderella.gif

:D
We allowed ourselves to sleep in on Monday and looked out to a day with beautifully clearing skies.

We slowly got ourselves around and headed out to try breakfast at Wildberry Pancakes and Cafe.
https://flic.kr/p/2aNQB17

Unfortunately apparently everyone else in Chicago had the same idea, so we got our names on the list for the 90 minute wait! and walked over for some Starbucks. As we were preparing to leave, we saw @DopeyBadger again which was so nice. We visited a few minutes before saying goodbye and we strolled over to Millennium Park. Obligatory Bean pictures...
https://flic.kr/p/2awbziH

And eventually had a late breakfast at Wildberry. A.MAZ.ING!!

We stopped off at the hotel for me to change into my cooler marathon shirt and grab a medal so we could take some medal pics! It was actually fun to see a lot of people wearing their medals on Monday. It reminded me a lot of after a Disney race. I really wanted to check out the Skydeck at the Willis Tower for an awesome medal pic, but when we arrived...YOWZA!! The line was wrapped around the block. So, we aborted on that plan. We decided instead to head for Navy Pier. I've never actually gone there before, so we took the leisurely walk over.

We decided a ride on the wheel was in order.
https://flic.kr/p/299sGYf

Very fun and beautiful views.
https://flic.kr/p/2bUCY5P

We walked further on down the pier and enjoyed the beautiful views of the lake and the city.
https://flic.kr/p/N9wLc8

B
efore stopping in for a few beers and some BBQ wings.
https://flic.kr/p/299sHYG

E
ventually we grabbed an Uber and headed back to the hotel. Had another enjoyable dinner out and then settled into our hotel for the final night. The flight home the next day was uneventful and as always it was nice to be home again.

The race may not have been all I hoped, but the weekend itself was lovely!

Thank you and I wish we'd had the chance to meet as well. And a HUGE congrats to you!!!

Thank you. I think we are both doing the mouse challenge (10k and marathon), best challenge out there with the sleep in on Saturday, in January I plan to meet up. Come out of lurkdom.

Also wanted to say your story is very inspiring. I did not know it so a big congrats to you!

Way to finish! I feel your pain. I’ve had runs where I felt the same way you described and some that I didn’t even show up to! I’m in a rut with the mental aspect of running and decided that “A” races and chasing PRs may not be my thing. Maybe I’ve already peaked? I’m now trying to enjoy training and pacing friends. Maybe one day I can be paced to a PR? You are so lucky to run with your best friend!!! I find running with someone has helped me tremendously! Thanks for sharing your story even if it’s not the way you planned.

I remember at one point telling Chris that maybe I've just peaked (I am 54 after all) or that maybe I just don't have the fire necessary to PR a marathon. Oh, I can finish them, but do I have what it takes to really push through to a big PR? Maybe? I don't know? What I do know is that the last thing I should be feeling is disappointed in myself for finishing my 8th marathon and yet, here I am. So, some kind of mental adjustment is definitely in order. Luckily I'm going to have a few weeks of no running to get my head on straight and figure out where I go from here with running and goals.

So ... I know I said I wasnt going to talk about my race, but ... this is exactly what happened to me last week. After the portapotty stop I saw how far behind I was and tried to push myself to catch up (even though I would probably have been fine if I had stayed on plan, since my plan was to try to come in a few minutes ahead of goal), but in my case my body (or possibly my brain) just wouldn't do it. So I can definitely relate to that. I wish I had some advice or insight to share, but my plan to avoid this in the future is to just not pee during races, which probably doesnt help. I can offer lots of sympathy and commiseration, though .... it's tough when you have a goal and you dont hit it. It's tough when one thing goes wrong during a race and it spirals from there. At the end of the day, sometimes all you can do is keep moving forward and hope the next race is better.

Congrats on surviving your 8th marathon and finishing despite having a really tough day!

It truly was just this spiral that I couldn't shake. The truth is we really weren't way off the mark and yet, mentally I was done. It wasn't that my legs were shot or my breathing or my heart, so I feel like the training was there, but with my anxiety, and back tension and pain, I just couldn't shake myself out of it. I'll take all the sympathy and commiseration you want to offer though. Salve in the wound as it were. And, ultimately, I'll be fine. This too shall pass and I'll likely be setting myself up for more goals I'll struggle to meet, cause it's just who I am. LOL

Thank you. I think we are both doing the mouse challenge (10k and marathon), best challenge out there with the sleep in on Saturday, in January I plan to meet up. Come out of lurkdom.

Also wanted to say your story is very inspiring. I did not know it so a big congrats to you!

Thanks again! And you are correct on the Mouse Challenge (love that name!). I think we are going to try and get out to cheer for the half which I'm excited to do. Looking forward to meeting you in person.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter