Bringing a Little Aloha to the Park

ehrawn

Mouseketeer
Some quick facts:

Group: My family (DH, DW, DD5, and DS3) from Oahu, my brother (lives in LA), and my in-law’s (FIL, MIL from San Diego, BIL, SIL, DN2 from Seattle)
Accommodations: Vacation Rental (1.5 miles from M&F)
Tickets: 3 Day Park Hopper
Schedule: Arrive 27 July, Park every other day, depart 02 August
Rides and Events:
-Monday AM: Dumbo, Alice, Matterhorn, Autopia, BTMRR, POTC, Tarzan, ST, Disneyland Band, PFF
-Monday PM: Flag Retreat, MTP, JC, Tarzan, HM, TMAWP, IJA, F!, Fireworks
-Wed AM: TSMM, MFW, GSS, GRR, RSR, MJJ, Tuck and Roll, Heimlich, Mike and Sulley
-Wed PM: Train, Toontown, IASW, Autopia, BTMRR, Fireworks, SM, TMAWP, Buzz, Space, Monorail
-Friday AM: Dumbo, Carousel, SLCB, Alice/MTP, Matterhorn, CJRR, BTMRR, Splash, HM, POTC
-Friday PM: WOC dinner at AG, Ariel, Redwood Creek, CS, WOC

Narrative:
I grew up in DL, in the days before M&F, DCA, FP, etc. I moved away from California and haven’t had much opportunity to get back. My wife grew up in SOCAL but to a non-Disneyland family. Now that we have kids (DD5, and DS3), I was ready to share the magic. We took them once, two years ago, for a brief side trip. They were too young, and it didn’t go well. This trip, I spent a lot of time preparing them for excitement, introducing them to the stories, and the rides, so that they could better enjoy themselves. The downside to the kids being old enough to enjoy DLR is that they’re both in school, which limits our vacation time. I was nervous about tackling the Park at the peak of summer, but did a lot of research here to prepare.

DW had to work, so kids and I spent a week with my family in Central California, then checked into our house on Sunday, did the grocery shopping and got settled for our first day in the Park. DW arrived at LAX at 0630 on Monday. We picked her up and went straight to M&F. She was tired hungry from flying all night, so the plan was to take it at a relaxed pace. I hoped to grab some breakfast in DTD and ride the Monorail in, but Ralph Brennan's didn’t open until 0800 and the Monorail broke down in the station. We continued our walk to the gate through DTD, munching on beignets and drinking coffee, entering DL at 0830.

DSCF0485.JPG

We took a horse-drawn trolley to the hub, then DW and the kids walked at their pace to FL while I picked up BTMR FPs. I caught up with them in the Dumbo line and started our DLR right, with smiles and a classic ride.

DSCF0493.JPG

We did Alice next. All I can say about the renovation is this is the new standard for how a dark ride should be. I hope the rest of FL will get similar treatments. DD spotted the Matterhorn while we were in the Alice line and wanted to do it. DS wanted no part so DW took him to Autopia. DD had a blast- scared, but fun and scared.

IMG_1130.JPG

DSCF0502.jpg

We caught up with the family in line and rode Autopia. I grabbed ST FPs while everyone else walked to BTMRR. It was a little too much for DS, but DD loved it. POTC and Tarzan were next, and then I ran to Splash to grab FPs while they walked back to TL. For some reason, though, the FP distribution was closed. Standby was only 5 min so I tried to call DW, but I had her phone in my backpack. Oops. We did ST, and the kids were starting to get fussy. They didn't weren't willing to leave so we caught a few minutes of the Disneyland Band (conducted by Mickey) in front of SBC, and had a snack. PFF was next. What a score: 2 mins of waiting, three princesses, and a humorous show. A big shoutout to Snow White is deserved. She was warm, personable, and was spot on with her mannerisms and speech. We were out of the gates by 1200 and headed back to the house.

DSCF0545.jpg

The kids fell asleep while we were picking up lunch. We took our time, sleeping, eating, and resting as needed, so we didn't make it back to the park until 1710. My brother joined us for the evening.

DSC06284.jpg

We arrived just in time to see the Flag Retreat. It was very well done. DD wanted to do the MTP. I got IJA FPs and met them there. I made sure she got a FULL experience, though I was hurting more than she was afterwards. We did JC and then DS wanted to walk through Tarzan again. I think he was feeling a little uneasy about the bigger rides we did in the AM, so I guess this was something he felt he had mastered.

DSCF0559.jpg

HM was next and then we walked over to Splash. The 180 min wait wasn't worth it so we rode TMAWP. My brother had a hankering for Bangle BBQ (our family's obsession from the old days), so we had some very expensive skewers. Seriously, what happened to the prices here?

DS was not up for IJA, so DW took him to find F! seating. DD did ok but was a little scared (I was bummed the queue elements weren't all working for her first walk though). DW scored awesome seats by the water, just left of the 2nd light pole and only 45 min before the show. Two teenagers were really spread out but had Splash FPs and needed someone to save their space. My wife was happy to oblige. We brought glow sticks for the kids, which entertained them until the start.

DSCF0624.jpg

F! was an amazing show that's really held up with its age. We watched the fireworks from the ROA and then walked out with the crowds. We were in bed by 2200.

DSC06407.JPG

The next day, DW's eldest sister and two sons joined us at the house. We played at the house and then met my brother for dinner at DTD. I was really happy with our meal at House of Blues. The kids enjoyed racing Lego cars, the ice cream at Haagen-Dazs and the live entertainment. We caught the fireworks as we were getting ready to head back to the house.

DSCF0653.JPG

DW had some work to do and needed some quiet time, so I took the kids to DCA by myself. We were through the gates by 0745. The line for RSR FPs was ridiculous so we tried the standby line. The walk down CL with Mater and McQueen was pretty neat (DS was thrilled). No luck with RSR though; it was closed. We walked through the back way of CL to TSMM. DS was concerned it might be fast (guess he was still smarting from our first day).

DD wanted to do MFW next. There was no line, but it still was a total waste of time. I remembered why everyone thought DCA was a bad idea, since DL was Walt's answer to the greasy carnivals. GSS, however, was a blast (DD’s favorite ride). Ariel was closed so we walked to GRR. I bribed DS with Swedish fish and got him to go on with us. He had such a great time watching his dad get soaked.

We grabbed RSR FPs but they were for the evening. DD really wanted to do it so we check the standby line. It was 45 min. We hadn't stood in a line yet and didn't think we would make it back, so I decided to do it and use the wait plowed them with snacks and water. We used the time to talk and made some friends blowing bubbles. DS was willing to endure to speed to see Mater, and enjoyed himself.

LakEmG48IoaYC0zEscoGCVjDVuGqdCMKuXIq94ovPH0=w728-h546-no

Next, we took a leisurely stroll through CL and did a little kids circuit- MJJ, Tuck and Roll, Heimlich's, MIke and Sulley- and then were back to the house by 1200.

DSCF0713.jpg

DSC06382.jpg

SIL, BIL and DN2 arrived mid-day. Everyone was tired so we didn't get back to DL until 1915. We took the Train to TT and played for a few minutes. DN couldn't get settled so we decided IASW might be a good start. It was dusk, we got to see the clock parade in line, the lighting was beautiful...perfect.

IMG_1159.JPG

My brother wasn't a fan so he got BTMRR FPs, a churro, a dole whips and Starbucks for the group. Next was Autopia. Coffee in line made everyone jealous. DW and DS were bumped while trying to exit, which pushed them past the no 1 position. It wasn't safe for them to get out so the CMs had them ride again and then gave us a "magic" FP for the trouble.

DSCF0820.JPG

DS wasn't willing to do BTMRR again, so I waiting with him while the rest of the group rode. We watch the fireworks from the backside of the ride. This would have been my favorite spot if the music could be heard. DW said that riding Big Thunder with the fireworks overhead was the most magic moment of the entire trip.

Next was Splash while the little ones rode TMAWP. We breezed past F! and into TL hoping to ride SM, but it was closed so we rode BLAB, then used our group FP for SM when it opened up. We rode the Monorail just as the park was getting ready to close.

Thursday was a recovery day. DW made a big breakfast: waffles, yogurt, the best California peaches (hand picked by us at my high school buddy’s You-Pick farm) and strawberries ($1 for THREE pints at the farmer’s market across the street, seriously). We had some work to do. FIL and MIL arrived and we had a mellow afternoon and big family dinner at home.

IMG_5118.jpg

Friday was a big day. FIL was very anxious about crowds. I convinced him that the easiest way to avoid stress was to avoid the crowds and that I had it all under control. They let me lead and we had a great time: Dumbo, Carousel, Mr. Toad's, SLCB, Alice (DD and I)/ MTP (everyone else), and Matterhorn (DW, SIL, DD, and me) in rapid succession.

DSCF0850.jpg

I peeled off to get SM FPs, and then was to meet them at BTMRR. They got sucked into CJRR line, though which ate up almost a full hour when you add in the travel time and bathroom breaks. No worries for me, though: I got a churro.

DSCF0875.jpg

We road BTMRR then I sat with the kids while the group rode Splash. They were starving and ate every snack I brought. We hit up HM and POTC and then exited for lunch.

DSCF0885.JPG

IMG_1179.JPG

We had 1750 reservations for a WOC dinning package at AG. We though we would be fine with a 1715 arrival, but didn't anticipate the Pixar Play Parade. It took me little bit to get over my anxiety about being late, but then I realized we were fallowing the parade, which was kind of fun. We were only 5 mins late and got seated right away. Dinner was fine. Prices were reasonable for what was served. I was disappointed though. If I'm going to pay for a meal, I'd like it to be better than what I can make myself.

DSCF0902.jpg

We took our time, and took evening pictures on the pier with MFW in the background. We got to do Ariel next and then Redwood Creek. Kids didn't want to leave this. What a hit. FIL and MIL wanted to sit so they went to reserve space for WOC. BIL, my brother and I went to CS. We did the single rider line twice, waiting 5 min each time and then met the group down on the water. Don't let the "you may get wet" warning deter you. We sat front and center to the middle projector and got a great show. We left at closing and on a 2230 tram.

DSC06676.JPG

DSC06709.jpg

IMG_1185.JPG

Saturday morning we had a relaxed breakfast, did a little work while the kids played and departed in the evening.

What we did right:
-Do not wait in lines. The best way to avoid crowds is to…avoid crowds. Show up early before vacationers want to wake up and commuters can arrive. Waiting in lines allows crowds to grow, which makes for more waiting. If a line is too long, skip it and come back later. If the ride is a priority, make sure you hit it first thing on your next day.

-Take it easy. Mid-day breaks are mandatory and do not be in a rush to get back to the Park: afternoon crowds are heaviest, temps are highest, hunger is worse. Every other day was good, but our little ones could have even taken two days off in between. In the park, go at their pace. Allow the, time to listen to a band or explore TT. Listen to what the group needs.

-Food. Eat meals outside of the park; bring snacks in- simple as that. Save your food budget for things that will really enhance the experience: an ice cream cone, a churro, whatever your vice may be.

What we did wrong:
-FP. I still don't have the hang of it. I chose rides for time that didn't crowded. We ended up walking back and forth across the hub to meet time hacks unnecessarily. In the future, I probably won't bother to get them unless it's the afternoon/evening or a super popular ride (RSR).

-Rider Switch. We only got one rider switch pass the entire time. I was under the impression that you had to ride, right away. Instead, we were given non-expiring FPs for every child that waited out; ex I waited with 3 kids so we got a three person FP.

-Single Rider. Another underutilized feature. I learned.

-Souvenir Shopping. I posted another thread about this. Gramma gave the kids some money to buy souvenirs. We are just starting to introduce to concept of money to them. They were too young and went crazy with the shopping to the point where they were refusing to ride rides or meet characters for fear of missing some trinket in the stores. It was the first and last thing they talked about every day, and obsessed about it nonstop. In retrospect, they would have been happier to get a few flattened pennies and a lollypop or two. New rule for us will be no shopping until the last day of the trip- not in the park, but just DTD, after were done with DL and DCA.

-Large Group. Friday we had 10 people in our group. It was way to hard to move that many people through the park. Everyone wanted to see the little one’s ride Dumbo and King Arthur’s Carousel, but even as close as the kids were in age, they each had their own needs to be met.

Conclusion:
All in all, we had a great trip. There were some big omissions (ETR, TOT, PP, TSI, RR, MT, shows like Aladdin and Muppets, the parades), but we got most of the classics and some good firsts (CS, Mike and Sulley, CL, Redwood Creek, new Alice, renovated Matterhorn, new BTMRR). The biggest disappointment was WOC: really cool effects but where's the story? The most magical moment was as we were waiting for the M&F tram on Friday. I told my DD that I had a nice time. She looked at me, gave me the sweetest smile and hug, and said, "I had a really nice time with you, too, Daddy." I can't wait to go again.

See your real soon...

rPMn8waHKbMfEiRdUCV5pAwrpeS2fAR-KQNq8i57YLU=w819-h546-no

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter