bringing a tripod to MK?

BaymaxFan78

Enthusiast
Last year for MVMCP I brought a very compact maybe 4 foot tall tripod to film Holiday Wishes. At the time I had a smaller camera but now i have a bigger, more heavy one. Tomorrow we are going to MK and I wanted to film HEA but my camera is too heavy for the old tripod and my new tripod doesn't fit inside my camera backpack. My camera backpack is a bit smaller than normal backpacks and the WDW website says the tripod needs to be small enough to fit inside a standard backpack. it doesnt say anything about it actually being inside a backpack though. Have any of you brought a tripod into MK before without it being inside a backpack? the tripod is 62" at full extension and can collapse down to 25" and be carried.

Last year for MVMCP I brought a very compact maybe 4 foot tall tripod to film Holiday Wishes. At the time I had a smaller camera but now i have a bigger, more heavy one. Tomorrow we are going to MK and I wanted to film HEA but my camera is too heavy for the old tripod and my new tripod doesn't fit inside my camera backpack. My camera backpack is a bit smaller than normal backpacks and the WDW website says the tripod needs to be small enough to fit inside a standard backpack. it doesnt say anything about it actually being inside a backpack though. Have any of you brought a tripod into MK before without it being inside a backpack? the tripod is 62" at full extension and can collapse down to 25" and be carried.

I would be very annoyed by someone taking up that much space with a tripod, make sure you either get there crazy early or you have a good location to film

for the record a standard size backpack is 17 inches larger is 18-19 inches... Do not now the answer just remember space is now at a premium these days and Disney is coming out with all kinds of new rules.
maybe email or call -- do not know if you will get a response in time. They however may not even question it at the gate.

I would be very annoyed by someone taking up that much space with a tripod, make sure you either get there crazy early or you have a good location to film

We always go to the spot where the tracks meet on main street

for the record a standard size backpack is 17 inches larger is 18-19 inches... Do not now the answer just remember space is now at a premium these days and Disney is coming out with all kinds of new rules.
maybe email or call -- do not know if you will get a response in time. They however may not even question it at the gate.

thank you for the info! we are staying at CSR tomorrow also so maybe they can tell me there?

They won't be able to tell you. You're just going to have to go and hope for the best. You'll likely be OK, but you just don't know for sure. It's going to vary by CM I suspect.

Ditto.

so in an attempt to live chat with wdw support, I'm not allowed to bring a tripod in because it extends...
not sure if he actually worked for disney.

I have always attached mine to the outside of my backpack with a carabiner clip when I bring it and I have not had any issues so far. I don't bring it often though.

I know the rules may be different in California but we witnessed a man with a tripod being turned away by security at Disneyland a few weeks ago. After waiting in the security line he had to take it back to his hotel. Not a great start to the day for him.

Just take it, stick it in your backpack, and let it stick out. Worst case, if security stops you, rent a locker and stick it in there. That’s actually what I’ve done with mine anyway until I was ready to use it. Don’t fret about taking up the footprint of a tripod. People will have giant strollers everywhere and take the kids out of them to hold or put on their $&&@“$#% shoulders right before it starts. You’ll be fine!!

ETA: And I’d be more than happy to just purchase a DVD of the fireworks instead if Disney would just take my money!! No clue why they don’t capitalize on that.

That should be fine.**
(And, I seen many of about that size in the parks.)

**But, there is no accounting for coming across an over-zealous security screener.

My sentiments exactly.

We were there a week and a half ago and had no issue bringing in a tripod. In our case it collapses to 25 inches, and DH stuck it in an external compartment on his camera backpack (meant for a water bottle). This is our third trip in six months with the same tripod. We realize there’s always the possibility they can tell us we can’t bring it (or any other item we have) into the park with us. I’m not sure if it matters to them or not but we both bring in larger cameras/ lenses.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!