Bringing Hubby and Infant for Resort only?

Hawkeyegirls

Mouseketeer
I am pregnant this summer, so next summer would like to take my older daughter back when we can ride all the rides, she is 8.
I am not sure how I will feel about being away from my 6-mo ish baby already, so I was thinking of staying deluxe and bringing the hubby and baby along, where they could stay at the hotel and we could still do resort time together, maybe one park day, pool time and dinners. My hubby does not like the go- go of Disney and would be ok with only 1 park day per trip.
Is that selfish to not be with them all day every day, has anyone else done this? Or is it best to go when I can just leave baby and hubby at home.. I don't mind the traveling with an infant, we will be traveling a few times a year anyway, but I am sure we would be away from them for a lot of the trip as we love being at the parks..
Thanks for your opinions!

Congratulations on your pregnancy:).
No, it's not selfish- it took two of you to make a family, right?

I'm not sure what you mean by "selfish" in this context. As in, doing something for yourself? Yes, but that's not necessarily a bad thing. You and presumably your DD love the parks. Your DH is 'meh' about them, and your infant won't have an opinion one way or another. I can't see why anyone needs to be with anyone else 24/7, when they're happy doing different things sometimes. If DH is cool with hanging by the pool with a baby while you and DD go to the parks, then go for it.

I'd rather stay at a resort then at home. And I think it's good to travel with kids, get them use to it.

I am pregnant this summer, so next summer would like to take my older daughter back when we can ride all the rides, she is 8.
I am not sure how I will feel about being away from my 6-mo ish baby already, so I was thinking of staying deluxe and bringing the hubby and baby along, where they could stay at the hotel and we could still do resort time together, maybe one park day, pool time and dinners. My hubby does not like the go- go of Disney and would be ok with only 1 park day per trip.
Is that selfish to not be with them all day every day, has anyone else done this? Or is it best to go when I can just leave baby and hubby at home.. I don't mind the traveling with an infant, we will be traveling a few times a year anyway, but I am sure we would be away from them for a lot of the trip as we love being at the parks..
How does your husband feel about this idea? Speaking from experience from the POV of the one who was stuck back at the hotel with an infant while the rest of the family played...IT SUCKS!!!! Baby was off of his routine and he wasn't sleeping on his regular schedule. So, he was fussy quite a bit. And I was the one trying to keep him happy so that he didn't disturb other guests. It was not a relaxing vacation and it definitely wasn't fun. We did this on several trips to the shore, which I tolerate but don't love, and I felt like I had "survived" those vacations instead of enjoying them. Sure, the rest of the family had fun and that's why I went along with it. But if anyone were to ask me if I "wanted" to do that again, the answer would be an emphatic NO!

Now, if your husband is totally on board with being the "at home" parent while you and your other daughter play in the parks, then disregard what I've written. Just make sure that he is really on board with the idea and not just going along to pacify you.

I agree with the PP, being stuck at a hotel with a baby day in and out sounds pretty boring. Babies that age nap 4/5 hours a day, my babies were crib nappers, and on a daily routine. I’d rather be at home than a hotel.

I would ask your DH what would be easiest and preferable to him. In my experience, it is easier to deal with an infant at home than on vacation. On the other hand, we've also done many WDW vacations together where we split up for hours at a time so we can all have down time or do our own thing, but this was when DS was older. I would talk to your DH and see what he would prefer.

I would be tempted to rent a condo offsite, so he isn't confined to a hotel room when the baby is sleeping, or with a baby. Separate bedrooms, kitchen, living room, etc.

You could get a cabin at Ft Wilderness then you would have a kitchen and living room. There's a lot DH could do there, watch tv/movies, sit in the shade and read, walk the campground with the stroller. You can see the fireworks and electric water pageant from the beach and they have lots of food choices. Plus in a cabin you wouldn't have to worry about the noise when the baby cries.

Honestly just ask your husband what he wants to do, and do it. My DD will turn 6 months at Disney next month, and we are just going to take it easy. My DS is only 4, and we aren’t rope drop to close people, but we plan on all staying together and go back to the resort midday for naps, swimming, and basically to get away from the hottest part of the day and daily storms. There is no need to be totally separated from each other on vacation IMO.

While we have vacationed with my toddler son starting when he was 6 months old, those travels were with us together as a family unit and always on the go. We never had it that one of us had to stay behind while the other went off for fun for the whole trip. Personally I don't know if I would want to have to travel with an infant just to stay in a hotel room the whole time doing the same things I would do at home. I would rather be home where I could nap the baby as normal in a separate room and go relax by myself during the day and later travel around at my own discretion. At a hotel, with no transportation, even if it has a pool, would get tiring for me.

But that's just me. I say, ask your husband what he wants to do, and do that.

Go for it, but I would make at least some time to take infant into the parks and give hubby a break ... after all it's FREE for the 6 month old. Get all the bigger rides out of the way, then go get the baby for a few hours and do things like the Dumbo ride and have a meal at Crystal Palace! Babies love MK ... Plus it's FREE!

Go for it, but I would make at least some time to take infant into the parks and give hubby a break ... after all it's FREE for the 6 month old. Get all the bigger rides out of the way, then go get the baby for a few hours and do things like the Dumbo ride and have a meal at Crystal Palace! Babies love MK ... Plus it's FREE!

The OP stated that she planned to leave the baby with hubby for one day not the entire trip.

As I recall children up to the age of 2 are perfectly happy with most anything including an empty box covered in pretty paper. The older ones think the box is a gift in and of itself and sit in it content with the experience as I recall ;).

I say enjoy those moments while they happen; it's only gonna get mo mo 'spensive as the years go on:rotfl2:.

Last edited:

The OP stated that she planned to leave the baby with hubby for one day not the entire trip.

As I recall children up to the age of 2 are perfectly happy with most anything including an empty box covered in pretty paper. The older ones think the box is a gift in and of itself and sit in it perfectly happy with the experience as I recall ;).

I say enjoy those moments while they happen; it's only gonna get mo mo 'spensive as the years go on:rotfl2:.

I got that they would take the baby to a park one day (maybe) and that all the remaining days (however many it is) would be hubby and baby at the resort while OP and DD8 went for more park days just the two of them.

I got that they would take the baby to a park one day (maybe) and that all the remaining days (however many it is) would be hubby and baby at the resort while OP and DD8 went for more park days just the two of them.

See that? It's all the interpretation of what we read:).
OP said:

"...where they could stay at the hotel and we could still do resort time together, maybe one park day, pool time and dinners. My hubby does not like the go- go of Disney and would be ok with only 1 park day per trip".

My intrepertatation of OP's writing was during this trip they would only have one park day and she would spend it alone. I'm sure OP can clarify.

See that? It's all the interpretation of what we read:).
OP said:

"...where they could stay at the hotel and we could still do resort time together, maybe one park day, pool time and dinners. My hubby does not like the go- go of Disney and would be ok with only 1 park day per trip".

My intrepertatation of OP's writing was during this trip they would only have one park day and she would spend it alone. I'm sure OP can clarify.

But what about where she says "I am sure we would be away from them for a lot of the trip as we love being at the parks." ?

The OP is clearly stating her intent is to bring the WHOLE family to Disney all 4 of them, but the plan for the baby and the husband for the whole trip would be to stay at the hotel, do resort time, do one park day, pool time, dinners.

Her plan with her 8 year old daughter is clearly to focus on the parks, but she concedes that they would still do resort time, 1 park day, pool time, and dinners as a family of 4. It is inferred that the remainder of the vacation she would spend with her 8 YO in the parks, without the baby or her husband. However, she does not specify how many park days that includes.

My assumption is that most vacations are scheduled for 7 days, so I based my response on that assumption, whether that is correct or not is unclear. If it was only a 3 day trip I think my opinion might change, as that's not too long to be left solo for most of the day with a baby before you get antsy.

I would leave this up to your husband. Mine would hate it. Personally, this would be a disaster in the making for my family, so we would simply divide and conquer. He would stay home with the baby and I would take the older one on vacation. If your DH and the baby are fine crashing in the resort while you and the Oder child are out, go for it.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter