Bringing Quick Service Food into Table Service Restaurants?

please don’t hesitate to post over there. You won't meet a nicer, kinder group

also, all our boards have moderators. Our jobs are to share info, support our members and, when necessary, remind folks to be kind. Trolls are not well tolerated and being mean or attacking folks is never allowed. There is a report button on every post. That notifies a mod or webmaster there is a problem. We look at it, potentially discuss, and then address

feel free to post and ask. We are a happy group, i think we have the best, most well informed folks here on the food boards. Someone here knows everything and it is a very supportive community.

I looked over there before posting here, and I didn't see anything that addressed this. Just from reading over things, it seemed to be more geared toward physical disabilities, and I didn't want to step on any toes by posting there. But I am quite new here and I don't use forums a lot, so I'm still figuring things out. I'll go take another look, because besides the eating thing, there are a lot of other concerns I have, especially with his becoming over-stimulated, ad also just dealing with his issues around engaging with large groups of people, particularly children.
Please ask anything over there. Those folks willhave a lot of feedback if you post. They want your trip to be the best it can be for everyone in your family and odds are pretty good that someone has some experience with this.

Our twins went through a long period of many years where they would throw up when they tried new foods and they would get too worked up and terrified to eat. What worked for us at disney were buffets, buffets, and more buffets. I can’t think of a single disney buffet we ate at that did not have chicken tenders and plain dinner rolls (always) and mini corn dogs (usually). And they could see the food before choosing which gave them a sense of control that I think was very helpful and, sometimes, they actually tried new food at disney because of that. They could also keep the food all separate on their plates instead of ordering a dish that arrives with some side dish touching the chicken. And the characters made them really happy too!

My DH has a shellfish allergy, and Disney has always been very accommodating. They are really awesome about special diets. His isn't terribly restrictive, and most of the time we could navigate fine on our own, but someone always comes to make sure he has what he needs. They work with people who have complex allergy issues all the time. I really think they can make it work, especially if you give them a heads up via the special diets line. Worst case, have some snacks he will eat packed away in a bag as a backup.

I looked over there before posting here, and I didn't see anything that addressed this. Just from reading over things, it seemed to be more geared toward physical disabilities, and I didn't want to step on any toes by posting there. But I am quite new here and I don't use forums a lot, so I'm still figuring things out. I'll go take another look, because besides the eating thing, there are a lot of other concerns I have, especially with his becoming over-stimulated, ad also just dealing with his issues around engaging with large groups of people, particularly children.
The DISabilities forum really helped us get ready to take our son (who is autistic)
The DAS is a life saver, you need to explain why he needs it, not just a diagnosis, but it means standing in line with close people (and all the sensory issues that entails is reduced, be aware, you will still wait)
Know where all the first aid rooms and baby rooms are in case you need to duck out and get a quiet cool few minutes. I don't know how big he is, but having a stroller to create a bit of personal space can help some people.
Do feel free to PM any questions you may have, but also the DISability folks are super helpful.

We're not going until October, I'm just the sort who likes to do all my research way ahead of time. So I probably won't be making calls until April at the very earliest, when I start making reservations. But I'll try to remember to come back and let everyone know after the fact!

Wow, that's pretty crazy--I don't know much about all the various restaurants--is that one of the higher scale ones? I can't believe they'd care that much, but it is good to know.

Aside from contacting the restaurants when we go, I will be keeping plenty of pouches on hand, as well as some other snacks he'll eat. While I understand the issue with QS food cooling off, one of my concerns was how antsy he'd get sitting at a table while we're all eating when he's either already eaten, or will eat afterwards. It's hard to keep him entertained/distracted, so having food alongside ours would help with that. But just from the comments on here and researching, I do think we'll figure out something. It might not be perfect, but it will work.
also, I would say know your and your child's limits and don't try too hard to get a square peg into a round hole. As much as the food can be good, you shouldn't try and force a particular restaurant into your plan if it won't work for your family. There are plenty of table service restaurants in Disney. If you're bringing food in pick some of the less fancier, they'll probably be more accomodating. Buffets have a lot of options which can include the chicken you need, and others that have chicken as an option.

From a kid point of view there is only so much sitting they will do without being entertained. Although my kids know how to eat in a restaurant and behave, on vacation where a lot of meals are eaten out, they eventually lose patience with it(or maybe its me who loses patience). Although I enjoy a nice sit down meal at the end of the day to rejuvenate, sometimes after a few days of them it just feels like work to get through it, and a QS meal is welcome.

also, I would say know your and your child's limits and don't try too hard to get a square peg into a round hole. As much as the food can be good, you shouldn't try and force a particular restaurant into your plan if it won't work for your family. There are plenty of table service restaurants in Disney.

Agree with this 100%. There are several restaurants I know I would love but we’ll never go there because there is nothing my kids can eat. The first thing I look at is the kids menu when deciding where to go. But fortunately there are so many other table service restaurants that do have items on the kids menu my kids will eat, so there is no shortage of good choices.

From a logistical perspective, it might be easiest to feed him before your dinner and then give him a snack or something that's easy to pack that he can eat during dinner. A lot of people do this. This way, his QS food won't get cold, you don't have to juggle carrying it into the restaurant, and you don't have to worry about being turned away from a restaurant if it happens to be a third party operated one or a place that won't allow outside food. You will still need to eat the cost of his buffets and all you can eat restaurants, but its still worth the experience regardless.

No needs here, just a picky child when she was around 5-6 years. We went to the Garden Grill for the first time ever. Didn't know really what to expect. They went to serve the family style buffet of beef, turkey and back then, fish, which naturally left my daughter wanting chicken nuggets. Without missing a beat the waitress had chicken nuggets brought to the table. It was like Disney magic to my wife and I.

She now eats the meal from the family buffet brought to the table, but we laugh about that trip every time we sit down at the Garden Grill.

No needs here, just a picky child when she was around 5-6 years. We went to the Garden Grill for the first time ever. Didn't know really what to expect. They went to serve the family style buffet of beef, turkey and back then, fish, which naturally left my daughter wanting chicken nuggets. Without missing a beat the waitress had chicken nuggets brought to the table. It was like Disney magic to my wife and I.

She now eats the meal from the family buffet brought to the table, but we laugh about that trip every time we sit down at the Garden Grill.
Honestly, this is exactly the kind of thing Disney did when we were there, even at our wedding dinner at Artist Point (before it was a character meal) One of the children there wanted a brownie for dessert, so they found one at one of the other WL restaurants and brought it!

My son will not eat food that is touching another food. We have always been able to get is served on separate plates/bowls even when we were in a restaurant that served family style. The CMs are really trying to meet your needs.

We've gone with several little kids various places. The only place where they just wouldn't really work with us was Coral Reef of all places... they had recently changed their menu and there were no 'traditional' kids items. We got by with deconstructed sloppy joes, but it was not ideal.

For the most part though - if they have the ingredients, they'll make some combination that works. Calling ahead isn't a bad idea, and neither is just asking your server to bring a chef out (like you'd do with an allergy) and negotiate out something that works.

I would also definitely bring plenty of pouches and other snacks!

I’d be prepared with something he’d eat / like pureed veg/fruit and maybe a plain cheese sandwich ... but the cast members are extremely good at taking care of special needs and I bet they’ve come across autistic kids with food issues plenty of times ...

I would think (but have no experience of supporting information) that anyplace that has cheese as an ingredient would be able to make a grilled cheese sandwich. The issue would be, is it a cheese he would eat.

... But I'm also not exaggerating how limited his meal selection is. Also, it isn't an issue of picky eating. He's undergoing therapy for it, and over the course of 2 years, he's expanded to TWO new foods. It's exhausting and disheartening as parents, let me tell you, especially when well-meaning grandparents suggest we just force him, or give him no alternatives and basically starve him until he gives in, but it's not just a refusal to eat. He starts gagging, vomiting, and has choked on more than one occasion which is terrifying :/

It's his vacation too, and I want to make it as magical and enjoyable for him as possible. We are really REALLY trying to encourage him to pick up either mac n cheese, pizza, or grilled chicken over the next 10 months, but it's a slow process.
I just want to encourage you. Food can be a major stressor, but with all your hard work & planning, I’m sure you’re going to have a wonderful trip for ALL of you!!

I would definitely recommend contacting the special diets team prior to your trip with your concerns, but I would still pack a back-up for those meals... it is highly doubtful that anyone is going to tell you “no” to feeding your son if there is literally no other option... I’ve been in similar situations (with medically necessary limited diets for both myself & my daughter) and I’ve never been asked to leave or stop eating. Just be polite and they will usually do their best to help you be comfortable ☺️

Here is some helpful info from WDW-
Guests with the following concerns should contact Special.Diets@DisneyWorld.com after booking dining arrangements for their visit and no more than 14 days prior to their arrival:
  • Any allergy or intolerance not listed above under common food allergies
  • Phenylketonuria (PKU) or dysphagia
  • Other medically-restrictive diets or metabolic disorders
  • A single Guest with 4 or more allergies/intolerances or multiple Guests with allergies/intolerances within the same party

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter