Bringing Quick Service Food into Table Service Restaurants?

On something like this I'd consider calling a few of the restaurant's you're concerned about and see what accommodations they can make. They can definitely get you stuff off menu, and get items from other close by places. I know BOG did this for us for my son.

As far as your initial idea.... I'm of the thought process of ask for forgiveness rather than permission. I don't see anyone calling you out on it if everyone else is eating. you can mention it to your waiter at ordering that your son is autistic and has dietary restrictions, so you brought in food for him. I would think no one would bat an eye. Maybe try calling the special diets line, though I could see this technically being something they don't want to promote and tell you officially its OK.
I could see it being tricky at a buffet or something to not get charged, but at a restaurant, you're probably fine.

I can't reply individually to everyone, but thank you all so much for your kindness. I was likewise concerned that my question might not be well-received, because so many people in my life just can't seem to comprehend that this is a real issue and not just my son being picky--even with official diagnosis from neuropsych and pediatrician, and regular therapy. So sincerely, I appreciate the thoughtfulness and helpfulness you've all shown here, and I feel much better about things now. I think we'll be calling the special dietary line, and calling the specific restaurants in question when it gets much closer in time to our trip, in order to see what accommodations we can get for him.

For those who were curious about his food list, most simple 1, 2, or 3 mixed vegetable and/or fruit purees (baby food, in pouch form; he will not be able to eat the same sorts of food, i.e. applesauce, with a spoon, as he will start to gag/choke), yoghurt as long as there is no fruit in it, cottage cheese, most solid cheeses, most breads, as long as there are not things added in, grilled cheese, chicken tenders and fish sticks (if the right size and ratio), and the only solid fruit is peeled apple (or banana but it has to be just the right texture or he gags), only solid veg is broccoli and sweet potato in very limited quantity. Breakfast and dessert is a bit easier, because any fairly plan grain based food can work--so plain pancakes or waffles, rice cereal, oatmeal, cookies and cakes that aren't too complex, and of course ice cream is fine for him. That is the list, full-stop, and there are so many caveats that just because it's a food he eats at home, does not mean he'll eat it at a restaurant if it is in a slightly different form/texture/seasoning/etc. It is difficult to grasp for many people that even the most basic foods that you can count on all children loving--mac n cheese, mashed potatoes, hot dogs, pizza, etc, are just no-goes for him.

And to the rest of you in similar boats, you give me hope for where we're headed, though it is a long road for sure. It's good to know we're not alone. Thank you all for your support and assistance.

Honestly QS isn't a whole lot better, but as you mentioned, the grilled cheese, and chicken fingers (which even then are touch and go--they have to be the right size, and ratio of breading to meat), snacks like pretzels, or potentially limited fruit (peeled apples, or banana, if I'm pushing things). And yes, some of the table service menus have some of these things, but some are basically pizza/hamburger/hotdog, grilled chicken/fish, pasta of all varieties, and he won't eat any of that. Also, no solid vegetables aside from broccoli or sweet potatoes.

I get that the menus change from time to time (I've been looking mainly on the wdwinfo site), so maybe I'm worried for nothing. But I'm also not exaggerating how limited his meal selection is. Also, it isn't an issue of picky eating. He's undergoing therapy for it, and over the course of 2 years, he's expanded to TWO new foods. It's exhausting and disheartening as parents, let me tell you, especially when well-meaning grandparents suggest we just force him, or give him no alternatives and basically starve him until he gives in, but it's not just a refusal to eat. He starts gagging, vomiting, and has choked on more than one occasion which is terrifying :/

It's his vacation too, and I want to make it as magical and enjoyable for him as possible. We are really REALLY trying to encourage him to pick up either mac n cheese, pizza, or grilled chicken over the next 10 months, but it's a slow process.
will he eat food that has cooled off as nothing that you bring into TS can not be reheated. remember to allow time to order, get food, walk to TS, check in and the be seated. could easily 20 minutes or more from getting food to being able to eat

I agree with calling ahead and asking if any accommodations could be made. I don’t personally have experience with it, but it can’t hurt.

I will say my son is a picky eater and I brought QS in to some table service restaurants at Disneyland and no one said anything🤷🏼‍♀️ Since it was DL there was no dining plan, but I just didn’t order him a meal and the waiter moved it along. I’m pretty sure I still got him a dessert. I would agree with bringing some containers and an insulated bag to transfer the food into. That way it would be less obvious. Maybe it would also make your son more comfortable to use items from home?

And don’t stress about people/grandparents making comments about his eating. It’s an issue with my son and he is not on the spectrum. We all do our best as parents and problems are not always as easy to solve as others might think.

If he will eat those food pouches, I'd bring a ton of those. You could totally let him eat those in the restaurants. That way if there is nothing he will eat you could give him those. Totally get the issue. Eating only places that served mac and cheese for every meal was a real treat for the group before my ASD kid expanded a bit.

I'd probably try letting him eat before your meal or after if with the pouches in between.

will he eat food that has cooled off as nothing that you bring into TS can not be reheated. remember to allow time to order, get food, walk to TS, check in and the be seated. could easily 20 minutes or more from getting food to being able to eat

This was my thought. Getting there and checking in, and then waiting for a table (it is rare that I have ever been seated immediately upon checking in, and I am usually solo or with a friend - not a larger party) will already take a while. Then add in waiting for orders to be taken and food to come (assuming you all want to eat together) and that QS food will be cold (which also changes the texture). Plus the possibility of food-borne illness increases when things are not at their proper temperature. Because it is 100% correct that restaurants will not reheat or heat anything brought in from outside.

Seems like feeding him his main meal of QS before you even go to the TS and having snacks or something he can munch while the rest of you eat might be the better (and safer) idea.

Does he eat Uncrustables? Probably not since you didn’t list it, so I understand. But if he does like them it’s an easy thing to take with you. You can throw one in the bag in the morning and it will thaw, but stay good all day.

This is our personal experience.....between our two children, DS now 11 was an incredibly hard to feed kid. He has a million and one allergies, CVS and if he eats something that he can't stomach....as in even trying it, it can lead to gagging etc. ( He has grown out of the gagging at this point.) Our first trip to WDW with him, we only did character buffet dining, due to his issues.....always something on the buffets at character meals he could eat. The next trip he was 3, we went to Le Cellier, on the way we had stopped to get him chicken nuggets and fries from hurricane Hannah s ( we stayed at BC, so convenient.) We brought it in the restaurant in a small cardboard basket ish thing we asked for at HH. The woman checking us in for our reservation saw the food and politely told us no outside food was permitted. I explained DS issues, she offered to seat us a bit later if DS wanted to eat his meal outside before being seated. This granted was 9 years ago, we have not tried since. We now have DD2. We have brought in fruit pouches for her on all of her trips since she began eating baby food. They have never said anything about the pouches for her, but she also just turned 2, so under the 3 year mark and we order her something off of the menu 99 percent of the time, to eat after her fruit pouch.
If it were me, I would feed your DS before going into the restaurant. If he wants bread or dessert in the restaurant he can eat that after eating his quick service meal.
Good luck, have a great trip

I can't speak for all the restaurants, but I will tell you last summer we took Blaze pizza into Morimoto Asia and had no issues at all. My 4 year old is a very picky eater. She wouldn't eat anything on the menu. We got a pizza and took it in. No one said a word. I actually saw another small child eating food from Chicken Guy a few tables over. I did buy her a drink and dessert at Morimoto. I didn't ask permission but no one seemed to care.

Disney is truly wonderful at handling food allergies & issues. I cannot fathom how difficult dining out is for your family. I’m an adult with just two allergies and I almost cried the other night in a non Disney restaurant because there was absolutely nothing I could eat except for plain fish. No appetizers, sandwiches, pizzas, meat dishes, desert. Nothing.

When I go to a restaurant on Disney property it is so easy and completely non stressful. We live here now so we almost exclusively dine out at Disney.

I hope you & your family have a truly magical time!

I can't reply individually to everyone, but thank you all so much for your kindness. I was likewise concerned that my question might not be well-received, because so many people in my life just can't seem to comprehend that this is a real issue and not just my son being picky--even with official diagnosis from neuropsych and pediatrician, and regular therapy. So sincerely, I appreciate the thoughtfulness and helpfulness you've all shown here, and I feel much better about things now. I think we'll be calling the special dietary line, and calling the specific restaurants in question when it gets much closer in time to our trip, in order to see what accommodations we can get for him.

For those who were curious about his food list, most simple 1, 2, or 3 mixed vegetable and/or fruit purees (baby food, in pouch form; he will not be able to eat the same sorts of food, i.e. applesauce, with a spoon, as he will start to gag/choke), yoghurt as long as there is no fruit in it, cottage cheese, most solid cheeses, most breads, as long as there are not things added in, grilled cheese, chicken tenders and fish sticks (if the right size and ratio), and the only solid fruit is peeled apple (or banana but it has to be just the right texture or he gags), only solid veg is broccoli and sweet potato in very limited quantity. Breakfast and dessert is a bit easier, because any fairly plan grain based food can work--so plain pancakes or waffles, rice cereal, oatmeal, cookies and cakes that aren't too complex, and of course ice cream is fine for him. That is the list, full-stop, and there are so many caveats that just because it's a food he eats at home, does not mean he'll eat it at a restaurant if it is in a slightly different form/texture/seasoning/etc. It is difficult to grasp for many people that even the most basic foods that you can count on all children loving--mac n cheese, mashed potatoes, hot dogs, pizza, etc, are just no-goes for him.

And to the rest of you in similar boats, you give me hope for where we're headed, though it is a long road for sure. It's good to know we're not alone. Thank you all for your support and assistance.
Please reply back to the thread after you call/get info. I'm curious. Disney in general at sit down restaurants has been great with allergies. QS I've had issues, getting information and any attention on the issue.

I would not count on them letting you bring outside food in. We were going to go eat at Tutto Gusto wine cellar, which is pretty casual bar seating, and my youngest had a bit of Mickey pretzel left to eat. They would not let her bring it in. Which is ridiculous since it had no bearing on what we were going to order and others bring in food that is concealed in their bag. I can't imagine that they would allow full meals if they are stickler about a few bites of pretzel.

Hi, I'm planning a trip for our 8yo son who has autism and sensory processing disorder. We're planning on getting a DAS for him, but I'm still very new to figuring all of this out, so I was wondering if there would be any problem bringing different food in for him when we go to table service restaurants. We'll be using the deluxe plan, and everyone else in the party has an adventurous palate, so we'll be dining at plenty of the more exotic offerings, but honestly, even most of the more traditional fare restaurants do not have something he will eat. To give you an idea, he only eats his fruits/vegs pureed (so we have to carry baby food pouches), and solid food-wise he'll only eat chicken fingers, fish sticks, bread with cheese (but no tomato sauce), and that is about it. So no mac n cheese, no burgers, no chicken or fish that isn't breaded, etc. I figured we could just grab him a quick service meal on the way to our reserved lunch/dinner, then take it into the restaurant so he can eat with us.
Bring some small plastic Tupperware like containers (and or ziplock bags) with you to keep in your bag. You can order a QS meal and package it into that. I can’t imagine any restaurant is going to have an issue with that.

I can also say that, while I understand it is NOT the same, I have an extremely picky eater. We quickly learned which QS had the applesauce pouches and chicken that he would eat. I would pick up a few when we went in and he had those at most restaurants we entered with no problem. I transferred the chicken to ziplocs or he ate the food in the QS restaurant and we went on with our day. It was not perfect, we all ate a different times, but I realized everyone got the food they wanted and that mattered more than everyone have a full plate at the same time. I think going in with an open mind, flexibility (on your part), and you will be very surprised at how helpful most CMs are at WDW. Enjoy your trip!

I took my son to Disney when he was 9. He doesn't have any special needs, just extremely picky. I packed a small soft sided lunchbox each day with things he would eat. (I filled a zip lock bag with ice from the food court to put in to keep things cold... we were there in August.) If he needed a snack or didn't like the way the chicken nuggets looked I could pull something out of this. Occasionally if we couldn't find something he liked at the sit down I would let him get a Mickey pretzel after we left the restaurant which he could then eat while we walked around. This really seemed a lot easier than trying to buy something at a different restaurant and haul it over to the sit down. It would have been cold by the time we sat down and he wouldn't have eaten it anyway. I would just pack up a bunch of his fruit/veggie packets and order a dessert if there's something he likes. I know you want him to eat as healthy as possible, but it's only a week at Disney. I would just keep it simple.

We always bring food to our table service meals. Kids are picky and sometimes I don’t like where the wife wants to eat. Say seafood. So I’ll bring a take out in. No one cares. Never had. Usually it’s just the kids. But it’s never been an issue anywhere.

Please reply back to the thread after you call/get info. I'm curious. Disney in general at sit down restaurants has been great with allergies. QS I've had issues, getting information and any attention on the issue.

We're not going until October, I'm just the sort who likes to do all my research way ahead of time. So I probably won't be making calls until April at the very earliest, when I start making reservations. But I'll try to remember to come back and let everyone know after the fact!

I would not count on them letting you bring outside food in. We were going to go eat at Tutto Gusto wine cellar, which is pretty casual bar seating, and my youngest had a bit of Mickey pretzel left to eat. They would not let her bring it in. Which is ridiculous since it had no bearing on what we were going to order and others bring in food that is concealed in their bag. I can't imagine that they would allow full meals if they are stickler about a few bites of pretzel.

Wow, that's pretty crazy--I don't know much about all the various restaurants--is that one of the higher scale ones? I can't believe they'd care that much, but it is good to know.

Aside from contacting the restaurants when we go, I will be keeping plenty of pouches on hand, as well as some other snacks he'll eat. While I understand the issue with QS food cooling off, one of my concerns was how antsy he'd get sitting at a table while we're all eating when he's either already eaten, or will eat afterwards. It's hard to keep him entertained/distracted, so having food alongside ours would help with that. But just from the comments on here and researching, I do think we'll figure out something. It might not be perfect, but it will work.

OP Have you stopped in on the DISabilities forum? There has been a lot of helpful suggestions here, but the folks who hang out on that form deal with these concerns and may have some more helpful advice.

I looked over there before posting here, and I didn't see anything that addressed this. Just from reading over things, it seemed to be more geared toward physical disabilities, and I didn't want to step on any toes by posting there. But I am quite new here and I don't use forums a lot, so I'm still figuring things out. I'll go take another look, because besides the eating thing, there are a lot of other concerns I have, especially with his becoming over-stimulated, ad also just dealing with his issues around engaging with large groups of people, particularly children.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter