Brown derby not serving lunch menu?

mmcxiiad

Mouseketeer
DVC Silver
Had reservation on 11/25 for lunch. When we showed up was coldly informed that items on lunch menu would not be served, chefs would only be cooking dinner items. Seemed Like they were capitalizing on a busy day. Is this typical?

It's the start of the holidays. There are changes this time of year, not only with menu but also pricing. It's the busiest time of the year.

This happened to us last year but I think they started the week before Christmas. We and other parties in restaurant were not pleased as some of Our family members were definitely planning to get burger or chicken sandwich. The menus on Disney site were updated late as well (after our visit).

It is capitalizing when the menu online shows several lunch items and then you get there and told otherwise. It is a HUGE difference if they charged a holiday surcharge. But to change the menu to remove items that misrepresent what will be available is deceptive in nature.

I am a realist and know that over the past 10 years they are pushing up the pricing for the entire theme park experience. That is their right to do, but if you want to change the menu, update it online too. Be transparent about it. Let people know what to expect and then at least people can make a choice.

Don’t wait until the last minute and then be snotty about it. I say snotty because the woman was very cold and arrogant about telling us the change. As if we should have known better. This could have been handled with more grace.

Cobb salad wasn’t on the entree menu either, but they will “typically” make it for you. no idea if they are this week.

I thought all restaurant eliminated lunch items several years ago

It is perfectly Disney‘s right to have or not have a lunch menu. But either do or don’t. Don’t waffle about it. If if doesn’t serve the perspective of a specific location, don’t do it. Or post on the website when you make the reservation that this day, there is no lunch menu. Considering all the moving parts they are able to do on the website, this wouldn’t be difficult to implement.

You are asking/expecting too much of Disney's programmers. The change might only be this week and around Christmas, so rather than change the menu, then change the menu back, then change the menu again, then change the menu back again, management is requiring the CMs to advise customers on the spot.

Anyway, the fine print on the online menu states, "Menu items and prices are subject to change without notice." It's near the bottom of the page, on its own line.

To keep this friendly, we will just agree to disagree what is possible to program in to the website. Especially one as robust and technically advanced as what Disney has created. Plus, considering that there is no longer a phone number to call to make reservations, the site should be very accurate.

Though you are right about the subject to change clause, it just feels a bit of a cop-out when it is a planned change for specific time frames.

Disney always reserves the right to change things. This is the email confirmation for ADRs. The online menus are always just “examples”. You are never guaranteed that what you see online will be available when you get there.

9D7FF35E-F3D0-4E69-AB3F-485CC612DF95.jpeg

You are asking/expecting too much of Disney's programmers. The change might only be this week and around Christmas, so rather than change the menu, then change the menu back, then change the menu again, then change the menu back again, management is requiring the CMs to advise customers on the spot.

Anyway, the fine print on the online menu states, "Menu items and prices are subject to change without notice." It's near the bottom of the page, on its own line.

Plus, people are looking at the menus online now when planning for trips that are months away. They're not just for people going now.

There is a huge difference of the price of an item went up. Or we no longer sell something. This is choosing to not use the menu they posted. People can disagree, but it is a choice that someone made to implement that affects guests. Looking right now there are many menus mention thanksgiving menus. So they obviously can adjust for holiday times. This isn’t the same.

Again, each of us are entitled to our own opinion, but you make a reservation based on a basic idea of what the menu is. What do you do if you get there and it is fundamentally different?

For example, you scamper for the Ohana reservation. Then you get there any they say, sorry, all we serve now is half of what you expected? Or the price has gone up 30%? They have the ability to let you know what is going on. They just choose not to do this.

Disney has been moving away from separate lunch and dinner menus and more towards an all-day menu, but HBD is one of the few restaurants that typically has a few additional items at lunch (sliders, Cobb salad) that are at a lower price point, and they are advertised as such on the website. The change to an all-day dinner menu is a change to a higher price point, and to me that is a different change than the menu changes that typically take place, which roughly remain at the same price point or a few dollars higher (as a side note, this is why it’s not a good idea to go into any restaurant thinking “I’m going to order the steak or the shrimp dish” since that can always change).

I don’t think it would be particularly hard to add something on the website to the effect of “on select dates, an all-day dinner menu will be offered.” I think that would at least alert customers that there is the possibility that there won’t be a separate lunch menu.

In the meantime, it’s a good reminder on this Board that the menu you see online may be different than the one you get at the restaurant. It’s also a good reminder that buffets are typically more expensive on select holiday dates.

I understand your frustration. HBD is a unique case where the lunch menu has multiple significantly cheaper menu items. I would think a lot of people who have lunch ADRs there are not planning on spending the typical signature dining price and are going there because of that menu.

I would understand if small menu changes are made that are not reflected online immediately, but removing an entire price range of items would be frustrating to discover at the restaurant and while Disney *can* I don’t think they should. They should make it clear in advance what days are dinner menu only. This is one of the only restaurants this would even be an issue at.

Thank you for posting about your experience. I was looking at the HBD lunch menu to see if they still had the burger. Thought about eating there next week for the burger. Now I know just go elsewhere.

We have done many lunches at HBD and had teh lunch menu.
But, we have never been there around a Holiday. Maybe that changes things?
Love the Cobb salad.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!