Brunch at the Top - Cali Grill *new updates from 12/11/16 on p.6*

I was wondering if it was a waitress issue. The table next to us seemed to have trouble also. Even with that, we would go again. Loved the self selection section!

Loved the self selection section!

We were there on Dec. 11th and our DD8 loved the "self selection" also. We let her go up by herself and she proceeded to the very end of the counter and loaded her plate with macaroons. I noticed the chefs took them down off of the top shelf right after she did that. Apparently these were only supposed to be brought to our table by our waitress at the end of our meal. We told our waitress about it and she laughed and said it's not the first time that has happened. Just one of those funny memories we will laugh about years down the road.

Just there yesterday.
Full review to follow, but definately no bread service, in fact not a lot of bread at all. No butter unless you ask. And our service was actually glacial it was so slow!
It was not my favorite meal, and service was far less than stellar!

We were there on Dec. 11th and our DD8 loved the "self selection" also. We let her go up by herself and she proceeded to the very end of the counter and loaded her plate with macaroons. I noticed the chefs took them down off of the top shelf right after she did that. Apparently these were only supposed to be brought to our table by our waitress at the end of our meal. We told our waitress about it and she laughed and said it's not the first time that has happened. Just one of those funny memories we will laugh about years down the road.

Your daughter sounds like my kinda girl! Yummy macaroons.

but they no longer do bread service. I
so happy to see everyone is enjoying the brunch. We just got back and enjoyed it a second time on 12/11/16! I'll post a mini update with a few new pics shortly.

this doesn't make sense, unless something has changed in a week. I wonder what was so confusing with your server?

We were just there on 12/11 and yes, they did not automatically deliver the sampling of the bread service, so this was new.
Our server described what was available and asked us to let him know which and how much we wanted to try. We asked for a variety of each

But we had no limits on the courses. We did order 3 to share again with no problems or concerns at all.

We were there on 12/18 as well...
No bread service, our waiter was really not wanting to take our entree order, and we had to ask (more than once) for the salt and pepper. Our coffee took a really really long time to arrive as well. (We were not drinking the mimosas). And I never got the decaf refill I asked for...
I got the impression (not rude, but not really helpful) that our waiter did not want us to order off the menu. He kept seemingly trying to delay our ordering. And then I got the raw lobster. He did say that was how they served it and offered to get another, but due to time constraints I declined.
I ended up leaving before they brought the cookie dessert tray, but I had already been there an hour and a half and really needed to leave. (Next time I will plan it for day 1, instead of day 8!)
All in all the food was superb, but I also felt the service was lacking a bit. Didn't really feel welcome, can't quite explain it, but it wasn't very Disney like, nor was it great service for any restaurant!
Now knowing what we know, we would plan accordingly.
Oops almost forgot...
We did not get valet parking, but were instructed to park in the "check in" lot. It was right up front so was not a problem having to hike to Timbucktoo to retrieve our car.
So, that was my experience...

I just found out about this and was able to book for Mother's Day, got 12:15PM, is this going to be too late? Don't want to be at the tail end and get bad food/service. When I read the menu I knew it was a must do, can't wait!

I booked our brunch for 12pm so that we can sleep in until 10ish and then leisurely head out of our room about 11am since I figure it will take up to an hour to get there from SSR.

*UPDATE*
BRUNCH AT THE TOP - 2ND VISIT
SUN. DEC 11, 2016
11:00 AM

This update is well overdue but I hope it proves helpful.
We returned for an 11:00 brunch on 12/11/16 and stayed for about 2hrs. Again, everything was delicious, freshly prepared and continually replenished. We felt no difference in the quality of the food, given the slightly later time seating. So for anyone with an afternoon reservation, don't hesitate to book whatever time works for your schedule.

But this time around, the logistics were very different.

1st - this was our arrival day, which was risky to begin with. We were relying on the first flt out of PHL on a Sun morning in Dec. to be on time and not impacted by any unforeseen weather.
2nd - we would be totally dependent on Disney transportation - Magical Express from MCO to BWV / bus to MK / walk to Contemporary.
3rd - we might have our luggage in tow. We were too late in reserving ME to receive tags by mail. Normally I wouldn't care, but this gave rise to the possibility of having to schlep our bags to brunch and hail a cab afterwards if anything went wrong with the timing and we weren't able to check-in at the Boardwalk first.

Safe to say, a few things had to go right to make that 11:00 am seating.

So how did we do? I'll post this timeline as a guide for anyone else not travelling by car.

Date Sun Dec 11
Depart PHILADELPHIA, PA (PHL) at 05:40 AM
Arrive in ORLANDO, FL (MCO) at 08:15 AM
Travel Time 2 hrs 35 mins

flt on time. Clear skies. Beautiful morning.

DSC07680_zpslxpp9zg2.jpg

8:20 AM - at the Southwest baggage claim / Level 2 - Side A

DSC07692_zpszktydgdu.jpg

8:45 AM - Magical Express que / Level 1 - Side B (complete opposite side of the airport)

DSC07695_zpsayaqpkgq.jpg

DSC07694_zpsfk3h5fbn.jpg

9:00 AM - On the bus

DSC07697_zpsjyigbziv.jpg

9:45 AM - Arrive at Boardwalk (we stopped at Caribbean Beach first)

DSC07714_zps9wluic48.jpg

10:30 AM - Arrive at Magic Kingdom (we had no wait for a bus at BW)

DSC07720_zpshsjemvqn.jpg

DSC07721_zpsm0nj3hok.jpg

DSC07722_zps7jptxyyx.jpg

DSC07723_zps7kgm3w5x.jpg

DSC07725_zpsl2b4qnlh.jpg

10:45 AM - checked in for brunch

DSC07727_zpsnw21nt1t.jpg

Up Next: Let's Eat!

*UPDATE*
SUN. DEC 11, 2016

This update is well overdue but I hope it proves helpful.
We returned for an 11:00 brunch on 12/11/16 and stayed for about 2hrs. Again, everything was delicious, freshly prepared and continually replenished. We felt no difference in the quality of the food, given the slightly later time seating. So for anyone with an afternoon reservation, don't hesitate to book whatever time works for your schedule.

But this time around, the logistics were very different.

1st - this was our arrival day, which was risky to begin with. We were relying on the first flt out of PHL on a Sun morning in Dec. to be on time and not impacted by any unforeseen weather.
2nd - we would be totally dependent on Disney transportation - Magical Express from MCO to BWV / bus to MK / walk to Contemporary.
3rd - we might have our luggage in tow. We were too late in reserving ME to receive tags by mail. Normally I wouldn't care, but this gave rise to the possibility of having to schlep our bags to brunch and hail a cab afterwards if anything went wrong with the timing and we weren't able to check-in at the Boardwalk first.

Safe to say, a few things had to go right to make that 11:00 am seating.

So how did we do? I'll post this timeline as a guide for anyone else not travelling by car.

Date Sun Dec 11
Depart PHILADELPHIA, PA (PHL) at 05:40 AM
Arrive in ORLANDO, FL (MCO) at 08:15 AM
Travel Time 2 hrs 35 mins

flt on time. Clear skies. Beautiful morning.

DSC07680_zpslxpp9zg2.jpg

8:20 AM - at the Southwest baggage claim / Level 2 - Side A

DSC07692_zpszktydgdu.jpg

8:45 AM - Magical Express que / Level 1 - Side B (complete opposite side of the airport)

DSC07695_zpsayaqpkgq.jpg

DSC07694_zpsfk3h5fbn.jpg

9:00 AM - On the bus

DSC07697_zpsjyigbziv.jpg

9:45 AM - Arrive at Boardwalk (we stopped at Caribbean Beach first)

DSC07714_zps9wluic48.jpg

10:30 AM - Arrive at Magic Kingdom (we had no wait for a bus at BW)

DSC07720_zpshsjemvqn.jpg

DSC07721_zpsm0nj3hok.jpg

DSC07722_zps7jptxyyx.jpg

DSC07723_zps7kgm3w5x.jpg

DSC07725_zpsl2b4qnlh.jpg

10:45 AM - checked in for brunch

DSC07727_zpsnw21nt1t.jpg

Up Next: Let's Eat!
We were there on Dec. 11th too! 10:45 am. It was our first time at CG and we loved it. I recognize the CM at the check-in desk. I'm anxious to see any pics you might post from inside the restaurant. We might be in them.

*UPDATE*
SUN. DEC 11, 2016
Part II

This time, we were seated at the other end of the restaurant. I noticed it was a lot more crowded compared to last May.

DSC07764_zpsjdbvzi3q.jpg

Again, we had a table for 2 (which I did not take a photo of), but you can see one opposite this beautifully set 4 top next to us.

DSC07731_zpssjnxyvrd.jpg

Our view was mainly of the left observation deck. It looked like a scene from The Birds this morning.

DSC07746_zpskdizvhph.jpg

DSC07748_zpsidpj7lz1.jpg

The Menu - No real changes except for the pancakes.

DSC07791_zpsintugkoc.jpg

Beverages (be careful - they really provide drinks at this brunch!)

1. the unlimited complimentary mimosas and non-alcoholic white cranberry juice presented when you first arrive.

DSC07728_zps6hj4hfbs.jpg

White cranberry juice w/cranberry garnish (in May it was white grape)

DSC07729_zpso7pc2zk6.jpg

2. Other juice is also available - we ordered pineapple and orange + a bottomless tall glass of chilled water + a pressed pot of coffee (no pic)

DSC07755_zps3qd8bfhg.jpg

3. Then there's the Bloody Mary Bar (drink sold separately)

DSC07804_zpsi944bsiz.jpg

Our neighbor's creation.

DSC07772_zpsjazncmkx.jpg

4. And finally, all the additional priced cocktails.

DSC07794_zpsmyrcoj5z.jpg

Bread Service - This service did change a bit. We were not automatically given a selection. We were asked specifically what we wanted and it was brought to our table.

We requested the sampling. Gluten free scone / Cheddar cheese biscuit / pecan sticky bun

DSC07742_zps4kwirrep.jpg

But the breads also seemed to be displayed for self service which was confusing.

DSC07750_zps5l6n8o9z.jpg

DSC07753_zps24qsx8w2.jpg

Self Serve Selections

DSC07792_zps4ndqpsc5.jpg

Charcuterie does change

DSC07775_zpsvoeax6u9.jpg

DSC07776_zpsfxelo6br.jpg

DSC07777_zpsfngwlwsl.jpg

DSC07759_zpsekdazwpt.jpg

Most dishes and sushi were the same. So good.

DSC07774_zps5ik12oca.jpg

DSC07778_zpsmd8xb8gu.jpg

DSC07734_zpsuy0rnpja.jpg

DSC07733_zps8wl4o4av.jpg

2 of my DH's favorites

DSC07760_zpswhgqmyqz.jpg

Mini fruit salad was new!

DSC07751_zpspor8alid.jpg

DSC07752_zpsghu7notj.jpg

DSC07771_zps9vrcfuej.jpg

DSC07773_zps5hzposkj.jpg

We passed on the bagels again. Too much food!

DSC07770_zpsmumglrfo.jpg

DSC07769_zpso4cesomg.jpg

DSC07768_zps4jg3ujxt.jpg

DSC07767_zpsgnjifzxl.jpg

But I did try the yogurt.

DSC07765_zpsn5tfwfsk.jpg

It was plain (not vanilla). Really good with the honey and fresh fruit.

DSC07798_zpschwtmtmb.jpg

continued - entrees next.

We were there on Dec. 11th too! 10:45 am. It was our first time at CG and we loved it. I recognize the CM at the check-in desk. I'm anxious to see any pics you might post from inside the restaurant. We might be in them.

Wow. That's great! I hope I caught you guys in a few pics too. It was pretty busy that day so the shots were not as easy to get this time around. But we still managed to sneak in a few.

Wow. That's great! I hope I caught you guys in a few pics too. It was pretty busy that day so the shots were not as easy to get this time around. But we still managed to sneak in a few.
That's us in your first pic!!! We are family of 4 with the stroller next to the table. DS is sitting in the high chair with his back to the camera, DD is opposite him facing the camera, DW is wearing the black shirt with her hand near her face, and I'm the underdressed (wore a Mickey t-shirt, DW asked, "Would it have killed you to wear a shirt with a collar?" Lesson learned!) bald guy :headache: who's head is barely visible beyond the lady with the blue shirt.

Who was your waiter/waitress? I don't remember her name, but ours was a woman, blond hair, thin, 40~ish. We thought she was wonderful, knew the menu inside-out, great sense of humor especially with our kids, and never more than a half empty glass. We truly enjoyed our time there from start to finish.

I showed DD8 your photo and she thought is was sooooo cool. Thanks for sharing!

Last edited:
That's us in your first pic!!! We are family of 4 with the stroller next to the table. DS is sitting in the high chair with his back to the camera, DD is opposite him facing the camera, DW is wearing the black shirt with her hand near her face, and I'm the underdressed (wore a Mickey t-shirt, DW asked, "Would it have killed you to wear a shirt with a collar?" Lesson learned!) bald guy :headache: who's head is barely visible beyond the lady with the blue shirt.

Who was your waiter/waitress? I don't remember her name, but ours was a woman, blond hair, thin, 40~ish. We thought she was wonderful. Knew the menu inside-out, great sense of humor especially with our kids, and never more than a half empty glass. We truly enjoyed our time there from start to finish.

I showed DD8 your photo and she thought is was sooooo cool. Thanks for sharing!

Your daughter said it best - very cool indeed! I love it that you were there too. There really is a nice casual feel to this brunch and honestly, you weren't underdressed. If you look closely in that photo, you'll see another guy wearing a t-shirt right near you.

I can't remember our servers name either but we had a male, dark hair late 30's maybe. He seemed a little distant and disengaged which was very different from our first experience.
I was glad we knew the setup, as I'm not sure he would have covered all the details. or it could be that because he was aware we were familiar with what we were doing, he concentrated his efforts elsewhere and gave us our privacy. He was working hard and the place was really busy.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

Latest posts