Buffets and Food allergies

I can understand everyone's frustration with this. But, people who don't have to deal with food allergie everyday don't think about these issues. It is for that reason that I always assume cross contamination at buffets. That doesn't mean that I never allow DS5 (milk/egg allergy) to eat from the buffet. I am just very selective and careful. For example we avoid the fruit that is right next to the cottage cheese. And whenever I get things from the buffet, I get it from underneath to minimize contamination. Otherwise I ask for some fresh/non-contaminated food from the kitchen.

This goes beyond food allergies. There are people like me with sensory issues who freak out at egg shells in egg salad and finding strange things in their food. Catholics give up meat for Lent so they would get peas and spinach not knowing that someone had used a fork that had meat on it thus making those veggies not allowed. I am Baptist and know religious people who go to buffets and will not eat or drink booze. What if someone used their fork on chicken in wine sauce then the potatos? That Baptist would then violate their beliefs by eating wine sauce in their potatos. Some people take pills that say no dairy, grapefruit or other stuff. What if she used her fork on kale then on the potatos and made someone sick.

It boils down to religious beliefs, moral values like no raw stuff, sensory issues, medicines, allergies, and most importantly presentation of the food. I just finished dinner and brought with me left overs. I had corn and rice mixed together with turkey but that was my choice to mix together and it meets my sensory quirks.

I'm glad you were trying to educate the poster bavaria, I just don't have the "cool" to do it properly. :)

Well, I didn't keep my cool when I found another gem just now, so I think it is best if I sign out for awhile and focus on something else, as I suspect that I may soon be getting a gift of points thanks to that thread. However if I do I will wear them with pride and consider them well earned! :)

Several of you do bring up good points however, and I encourage you to continue to try and educate people in a positive fashion. Quite often people don't realise how their behaviour impacts others, and they may in fact be willing to change if someone can explain to them why their actions are potentially harmful.

Best of luck!

Well, I didn't keep my cool when I found another gem just now, so I think it is best if I sign out for awhile and focus on something else, as I suspect that I may soon be getting a gift of points thanks to that thread. However if I do I will wear them with pride and consider them well earned! :)

Several of you do bring up good points however, and I encourage you to continue to try and educate people in a positive fashion. Quite often people don't realise how their behaviour impacts others, and they may in fact be willing to change if someone can explain to them why their actions are potentially harmful.

Best of luck!

Somewhat OT but... I know what you are referring too and I didn't keep my cool either. I'm with you. If I have to take points for what I said as well then so be it. :goodvibes

I also agree with you on educating others. It just frustrates me when someone refuses to acknowledge their potentially harmful actions because it might inconvenience them a little bit. If we don't speak up for and watch out for each other, then what's the point?

A very wise professor of mine said at the end of a class once "If you see an injustice in the world please take a stand and say or do something - if just one person would do this just one time the world would be a better place." ;)

I hope that poster is removed from any buffet in which she is observed acting in such a ridiculous manner. Her personal comfort is not worth more than the safety of many other people.

I didn't even look at the original thread about bringing resort bedding until I saw this thread. I just can't live my life worrying about my resort bedding but that's me.

I think it best to point out the problems with the fork in the food but let it go after that. There are many on these boards who argue for the sake of argument - I think that is all they do all day. And perhaps it is good that she posted about what she does - sticking her fork in all the dishes. It is food for thought if you have allergies or other issues so that you might want to avoid buffets or be more observant or whatever.

What made me mad was the foot flushers. You all know the pain I can be in at times and right now I am sort of pretzel shaped. I cannot foot flush unless you were offering me something really good like a trip to WDW with 50 of my friends and all expenses paid. The problem is not getting the leg up but getting it down. I still can get my foot onto the kitchen counter but the getting down is I AM STUCK HELP.

We told them the truth and hopefully some people will change and realize that not everyone can foot flush and not everyone wants potato salad in their chicken. :cheer2: :teacher:

Talking Hands, thank you for coming to my defense. AlternateEgo actually edited out part of my post in the quote to make it sound a lot more harsh than the original intent.

Of course people with allergies should be able to enjoy dinner at any restaurant, but they are responsible for making sure their own food is as safe as possible. It's common sense that when a lot of people are serving themselves at a buffet that cross-contamination is a real likelyhood. Hence my note (that AlternateEgo deleted) to ask for the chef to have safe food plated.

P.S. no biggie, but I'm actually a she, LOL!

I didnt delete it to make is sound harsh. I was making reference to the part that i quoted. I understand that you are saying that if they have true allergies that they shouldn't put themselves in the situation to come in contact.

But when I first read it, i felt like you were saying that same thing but in a meaner way, of its ok - it happens, if you get sick it is your own fault.

It was just a misunderstanding. I apologize for being insensitive to your true message.

I have decided that if I ever see someone using their table fork in a buffet, I will quick grab my camera, take a picture and make a VERY calm but stern fuss about it...

kinda along the lines of "EWW did you just eat with that fork and then put it in those yummy garlic potaotes???"
"EWWW are you standing here at the buffet eating off the platters??"

:lmao: I can so see me doing this.

I have decided that if I ever see someone using their table fork in a buffet, I will quick grab my camera, take a picture and make a VERY calm but stern fuss about it...

kinda along the lines of "EWW did you just eat with that fork and then put it in those yummy garlic potaotes???"
"EWWW are you standing here at the buffet eating off the platters??"

:lmao: I can so see me doing this.

I could see you doing that but I am too scared of getting kicked from parks to do that. Pudge's Blog: Featuring 50 ways to cross contaminate someone's dinner

What made me mad was the foot flushers. You all know the pain I can be in at times and right now I am sort of pretzel shaped. I cannot foot flush unless you were offering me something really good like a trip to WDW with 50 of my friends and all expenses paid. The problem is not getting the leg up but getting it down. I still can get my foot onto the kitchen counter but the getting down is I AM STUCK HELP.

We told them the truth and hopefully some people will change and realize that not everyone can foot flush and not everyone wants potato salad in their chicken. :cheer2: :teacher:
Foot flushing makes me laugh. My partner does it and I still for the life of me do not understand why. Yes, the handle of the toilet is germy, but you leave the stall and immediately wash your hands. Voila, no more germs.

The handle of one of the toilets in the ladies room at my office broke once from people kicking it so much. The office manager about had a conniption and we all got an irate e-mail instructing us to NOT KICK THE TOILET because we BROKE IT! LOL.

Nope
if you aren't loud or rude they aren't going to kick anyone out..
I would just calmly state that is is nasty to take food off a platter in a buffet with your table fork and ask if they used that fork to eat with.

we are going to Toyko Dining on Saturday for Lunch and Sunshine Seasons for a late dinner ( Will take Pics of my Wheat free yummies:)
but CP on Sunday for breakfast so I will watch for people using a table fork:)

Now hubby will say I am being OCD about waiting for people to stick their table forks in food at buffets and getting a picture of it...
(I tend to get that way :laughing: )

I was hounded by bad pin traders who were the scum of the earth. Most traders are good people and some are stellar. It was when I was very very sick from celiac and was in Innoventions in DLR. I told an off duty CM from DCA and her pin trading male friend to leave me alone and not to take pictures of me. I finally went to a CM and complained then was taken outside and discussed with her manager how they harassed and stalked me then took my picture without permission. I was accused of upsetting the Innoventions CM. Excuse me but if I was a white female and pretty and perfect then they would have been out of the park and not me arguing with a manager over my right to be stalked.

Pudge it took a lot of loving support form friends and dole whips and Calvin to get me back to DLR. They did back then and from what I hear still harrass or blame the freaks. If you are perfect then you are a victim but when you are a freak then you are the instigator.

Pudge you would only be OCD if it filled your whole day. Honey there is no line for Space Mountain and you reply no we have to catch them fork users. :lmao: :lmao:

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter