Bulging Disc in neck on rides...

myhusbandnofanofdis

Mouseketeer
OK.. I know i am coming here asking a question I probably already know the answer to. But I am hoping beyond hope that you guys will tell me not to worry too much..

I have/had a bulging disc in my neck. It gave me problems off and on over several years (some of which we went to Disney, but I didn't see any relation between park visits and pain). This past summer it got really bad, was finally diagnosed and ended up with an epidural shot in my neck of cortizone. It really helped, although I do try to make sure I have good posture and sit in chairs with support.

All that to say... I can avoid ALL the rides with neck warnings except Tower of Terror and Space Mountain. These two make me want to CRY that I might miss them. But, I am worried that I might cause pain to last the rest ofthe week.

Anyone have experience with this. Please feel free to not mince words with your responses because I think I need someone to "put me in my place". Is there a chance I could hold my neck on Space Mountain or make sure I don't get a strong impact on tower of terror? Truthfully I don't remember it being very hard on the bum.

Sorry for the long post! thanks if you made it this far.

Mary Anne

I posed your question to DD, who is the roller coaster rider in the family. She says that Space Mountain is pretty "jarring," much more so than Expedition Everest in her mind (although I know that they are refurbishing it, so that could be different now). Also, DD notes that the back rest on Space does not go all the way up your neck, so you wouldn't have anything to brace your head back against.

As for ToT, she had a hard time comparing that to a coaster. She says the abrupt up and down sequence could be hard to plan for because it is random. Again, there is nowhere to "brace" your head.

I know this is not what you were hoping for...but there it is. We hope you have an excellent trip no matter your limits.

Mary

I have to say that I find Space Mountain horrible for neck support. I love coasters and Space Mountain is the coaster I fell in love with when I was a kid. (Disney was the first place I was willing to try coasters)

More recently, I've developed neuromuscular issues that include poor core stability and back/neck pain and my last ride on Space Mountain 3 years ago I decided had to be the last for good. The two coasters I road that trip were Rock'n'Rollercoaster and Space Mountain. I'm short enough (5'4") that Rock'n'Rollercoaster gives me full head and neck support and it was fabulous and I loved it and rode twice in a row and nearly went back again to ride more. Space Mountain was horrid and put me in loads of pain for over a day. I really needed more support that in gives. (Based on that experience, in fact, I've made the decision to stop riding any coaster that doesn't have some sort of head and neck support)

I hate to be the bearer of bad news, but that was my experience.

THanks for your comments. I thought SM had high back seats, but obviously I don't really remember.

Truthfully, if the worst of my problems in life is that I can't ride space mountain ever again... things aren't too bad...:thumbsup2. I can still walk through and wait with my family, and then maybe pretend... I must be in a good mood this morning.

Maybe I will still try TOT.

I would suggest talking to your doctor before going on either of these. If the 'price' of the ride is possible pain, that is much different than a possible 'price' of doing more damage to your neck.

Since Space Mountain is being renovated, we don't know what the ride cars will look like, but this is a picture of the 'before renovation' SM ride car from allearsnet.com
mk_space14.jpg

I have pictures that looks like it may provide some neck support for children or very short people, but not really high enough to be helpful for most adults. I don't know how rough the renovated ride will be, but it was rough before.

Tower of Terror has no neck support at all. Even if it did, I'm not sure it would provide any assistance since gravity will be pulling you down and you have no idea what will happen next to even try to brace yourself.
Here's a picture of the TOT ride car from allearsnet:
m_tot4.jpg

My DH has had 3 different neck surgeries for disk problems over the years. It all began 30 years ago when he was involved in a car accident and over time the disks have degenerated. He now has several Cervical fusions. He has ridden everything at WDW with the excpetion of Everest (it wasn't builit on his last visit). He says he does fine as long as he "sees" what is about to happen and can somewhat brace his neck. He is not a big fan of TT but has ridden it in the past. Have a great trip!!

I hate to admit it, but my DH and are some of those people who should obey those warning signs, but never do. :rolleyes1

DH has a herniated disc in his lower back - he's had it for years. I have a bulging disc in my neck and had 3 cortisone shots in my neck last spring. We havent been to WDW in several years, but we have been to many, many amusement parks with much more jarring rides than WDW and have never had a problem. I went to Six Flags numerous times over the last summer and didn't have any pain at all.

The ironic thing is, I actually CAN'T brace my head against a headrest during a ride or I will be in intense pain. I got a concussion many years ago, and if I brace my head against a headrest on a roller coaster it feels like my head is going to explode. If I keep my head OFF the head rest, I'm fine - no pain at all. Go figure.

:sad2:it took me a few WDW vacations and rides on Space Mtn. to realize that the evening of or day after riding that I would get an excruciating tension headache/neck pain. It hurts to know I should never go on it again:sad1:

I have a degenerating disc in my neck. I can't handle side to side jarring so I've give up rides like Space Mountain. However, T of T is no problem because their is no side to side jarring.

Hope this helps.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter