Bulging/herniated discs in neck.. Updated post 18

mommasita

DIS VETERAN
I am just posting this and wondering who has had experience with this. I am seeing my Dr.

After months of pain, I finally gave in and went to my Dr. I had my MRI done, and along with a whole page of other things that are hard to understand, I have 4 herniated/bulged discs in my neck, stenosis etc. My Dr passes it onto my neuro, who is supposed to contact me tomorrow. I have had previous neurological issues, so I see a neuro yearly.

My left arm, shoulder and hand is awfu, my fingers are numb, and the rest is incredibly painful. The medication I am on for nerve pain makes me a zombie, and I hate it.

Has anyone had this?

Sorry to hear about that. Yes, it is very common, especially if your female over the age of about 35. I happen to be a male, but I'm well over 35, and also have a herniated disc in my neck.

they can do conservative things, like physical therapy. If that doesn't work they can do injections. After that, it gets more serious, like surgery. However, take it one step at a time. See how things like therapy or injections do to help you.

Stay away from chiropractors. They are frauds at best, and can injure you at worst.

Sorry to hear about that. Yes, it is very common, especially if your female over the age of about 35. I happen to be a male, but I'm well over 35, and also have a herniated disc in my neck.

they can do conservative things, like physical therapy. If that doesn't work they can do injections. After that, it gets more serious, like surgery. However, take it one step at a time. See how things like therapy or injections do to help you.

Stay away from chiropractors. They are frauds at best, and can injure you at worst.

I disagree with your last sentence. Maybe you had a bad experience and are making a generalization??
Just like any medical professional, you have the good ones and the bad ones.

My chiropractor happens to be wonderful! Her care has kept me out of surgery for neck and back issues. I trust her whole heartedly!

I am just posting this and wondering who has had experience with this. I am seeing my Dr.

After months of pain, I finally gave in and went to my Dr. I had my MRI done, and along with a whole page of other things that are hard to understand, I have 4 herniated/bulged discs in my neck, stenosis etc. My Dr passes it onto my neuro, who is supposed to contact me tomorrow. I have had previous neurological issues, so I see a neuro yearly.

My left arm, shoulder and hand is awfu, my fingers are numb, and the rest is incredibly painful. The medication I am on for nerve pain makes me a zombie, and I hate it.

Has anyone had this?

Sorry you have it also.

My husband sees a Chiro and has success. It is a no no for me because of previous brain/ neck surgeries.

i am just over 50, and read quite a bit, it does seem common. Thank you for your reply

Last edited:
Currently dealing with this. I actually learned about them when I had a TIA and they did my MRI. I have fibro so a lot of my issues I thought were related to my fibro. I just love getting older. I hope you can get some answers and some relief. I've had limited success with PT.

I agree. No chiro. There is nothing a chiropractor can do to "unbulge" a bulging disc (and I was nearly permanently crippled by a well regarded one who tried to fix my back pain). There really isn't anything that can be done to fix a herniated disc other than surgery. All the other modalities are about managing symptoms. Only surgery is a fix (I've had it done twice).

Listen to your nuerologist or orthopedist. Whatever treatment you decide on follow their instructions to the letter.

Several years ago I was researching ozone therapy for herniated discs on behalf of a friend. I don’t remember many of the details anymore, but it seemed to be a very promising treatment option and I would encourage people to look into it.

I disagree with your last sentence. Maybe you had a bad experience and are making a generalization??
Just like any medical professional, you have the good ones and the bad ones.

My chiropractor happens to be wonderful! Her care has kept me out of surgery for neck and back issues. I trust her whole heartedly!

No, never been to one. Never will, not worth the risk. In my profession, I've seen thousands upon thousands of chiro "treatment plans" and been to dozens and dozens of seminars. Don't know your personal situation, but I'd take an educated general guess that your chiro wants you to think they've kept you out of surgery, but the reality is they have nothing to do with that (except placebo effect). I've seen them cause damage many, many times.

My advice - if you are directed to do physical therapy - DO IT. It works. I have a herniated disc in my back. I've had it for a long time now. I do my PT off and on (like everybody I know who needs it does). I can tell how much better it feels when I stick to PT for a few weeks vs. when I slack off on it. If you do slack off on it, don't beat yourself up about it. Just try to get back in the routine. It will help and may be able to fend off the need for surgery. Best wishes!

Thank you everyone, reading back on my posts,I can see I was a little 😵 on my pills.
I am sorry for everyone who has to deal with this, past and present. I remember your surgeries Jennasis.
i will take all your advice, I will see what my Dr. has to say.

I'm sorry you're going through this, Mommasita. :hug:

I think your "previous brain and neck surgeries, neurological issues, and FOUR bulging discs in your NECK" make this a more complicated situation than probably most here have experienced in their backs, including my DH, who lived with this issue in his lumbar region (and went through years of shots but finally found almost complete relief via surgery, i.e. a minimally invasive discectomy). I think you are taking the right steps in seeing the people you are seeing - and not seeing. I hope you can find some relief soon!

I started having chronic neck pain when I was around 30 and had a big problem with 2 bulging discs when I was 35--pain radiating down my left arm, finger numbness, etc. Mine weren't herniations and my orthopod recommended physical therapy, which I definitely preferred to surgery. The first 6-week course of therapy didn't help, but he recommended some changes to what they were doing and that did the trick. Since then I've had occasional flare-ups for which I'd see a chiropractor, but it's been a few years since I've had a problem.

Last edited:
Don't ever let a Chiropractor anywhere near your neck!

My dad has this issue currently and injections and pain meds have not helped him at all. Surgery will likely be the next discussion. He has had 3 cortisone injections and they haven't made a difference at all. He has gone to PT, which helps temporarily, but the pain always comes back a couple days later. He is much older, 72, but it doesn't seem like conservative measures are helping at all.

I most definitely will not let a Chiro near me. That was one of the things of NO’s on my list. 😀.
I am off work which to be honest, is really disappointing, but I need some help dealing with the pain, and I can most definitely not function on this.
Thanks

My husband had a disc replaced in his neck, one thing that REALLY helped him with both the pain and getting off the pain meds they fed him for years before & after was acupuncture. He isn't pain free, but he has it down to a point where he can manage it without pain meds, except for the occasional aleve.
Good luck to you, my husband was in pain for years (even with meds) and I know it can be debilitating.

I just wanted to give an update.
I had my EMG before Xmas, and went away to get away from Xmas. Last week I saw my neuro, he says good news my nerve root isn’t compressed, if I have surgery now, 5 years or so down the line I will have more arthritic issues.

ok, I am now in so much agony, zero sleep, like zero. He sends me back to my Rheumatologist, I saw him this morning, brand new exam, it appears I have a severe frozen shoulder. I have had this before, after tearing my cuff. Never this severe, Now I am off the meds for the pinched nerves (hoping to live with that as long as I can), tomorrow I start on VERY high doses of prednisone for 21 days, codeine for pain, and Something to ease the stomach. We will re-access in 3 weeks time. If possible, a cortisone injection, arthrogram , and the start of physio.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter