Bulging/herniated discs in neck.. Updated post 18

I am just posting this and wondering who has had experience with this. I am seeing my Dr.

After months of pain, I finally gave in and went to my Dr. I had my MRI done, and along with a whole page of other things that are hard to understand, I have 4 herniated/bulged discs in my neck, stenosis etc. My Dr passes it onto my neuro, who is supposed to contact me tomorrow. I have had previous neurological issues, so I see a neuro yearly.

My left arm, shoulder and hand is awfu, my fingers are numb, and the rest is incredibly painful. The medication I am on for nerve pain makes me a zombie, and I hate it.

Has anyone had this?
I just wanted to give an update.
I had my EMG before Xmas, and went away to get away from Xmas. Last week I saw my neuro, he says good news my nerve root isn’t compressed, if I have surgery now, 5 years or so down the line I will have more arthritic issues.

ok, I am now in so much agony, zero sleep, like zero. He sends me back to my Rheumatologist, I saw him this morning, brand new exam, it appears I have a severe frozen shoulder. I have had this before, after tearing my cuff. Never this severe, Now I am off the meds for the pinched nerves (hoping to live with that as long as I can), tomorrow I start on VERY high doses of prednisone for 21 days, codeine for pain, and Something to ease the stomach. We will re-access in 3 weeks time. If possible, a cortisone injection, arthrogram , and the start of physio.
I am a little :confused: . You were diagnosed with herniated and bulging discs in your neck. That diagnosis came from a radiologist, with a likely sign off by a second radiologist (as is protocol in many places). Then you see a "neuro" (I don't know if this is a neurologist or a neuro surgeon) who says, no, you don't have herniated discs. SAY WHAT??? And then refers you to a rheumatologist?? Yet you continue to be in agony with a poor quality of life due to pain. Something's not right here. I would re-read the radiology report on the MRI to double check what it says, then if it does say herniated discs, I'd probably get another opinion from a different doctor than that neuro, OR, if that's too difficult, re-visit the conversation with him about surgery. (Which he did seem willing to do which is also confusing since you said he said you don't have herniated discs but also said you'd be back in the same boat in five years after surgery. Doesn't really make sense.)

I hope you can get some answers. You shouldn't have to live that way. :hug:

I am a little :confused: . You were diagnosed with herniated and bulging discs in your neck. That diagnosis came from a radiologist, with a likely sign off by a second radiologist (as is protocol in many places). Then you see a "neuro" (I don't know if this is a neurologist or a neuro surgeon) who says, no, you don't have herniated discs. SAY WHAT??? And then refers you to a rheumatologist?? Yet you continue to be in agony with a poor quality of life due to pain. Something's not right here. I would re-read the radiology report on the MRI to double check what it says, then if it does say herniated discs, I'd probably get another opinion from a different doctor than that neuro, OR, if that's too difficult, re-visit the conversation with him about surgery. (Which he did seem willing to do which is also confusing since you said he said you don't have herniated discs but also said you'd be back in the same boat in five years after surgery. Doesn't really make sense.)

I hope you can get some answers. You shouldn't have to live that way. :hug:

Looks like the neurologist said the nerve root isn't compressed, NOT that the disc isn't herniated.

Sorry to read all this, mommasita , Necks and backs are so difficult to deal with. Too many working parts.

Hoping you improve over the coming days and weeks. :hug:'s

Looks like the neurologist said the nerve root isn't compressed, NOT that the disc isn't herniated.

yes, this. they are herniated, the nerve root isn’t compressed. I have all my results. I went back to my rheumatologist, because my neurologist thought I displayed more signs than neurological ones. I have rotator cuff disorder, and although I’ve had a frozen shoulder before, never to this degree. The exam this week, was not the same as before Xmas when I saw him then.

I didn’t advance to the neuro-surgeon, sorry if I caused confusion. I have had neuro surgery, and have complications already, so I did listen when he said I more than likely will have arthritic issues (more, and early on), so will try this route for the frozen shoulder, and pain management for a bit. I may end up that route, it will try this And pysio first .

Thanks everyone !

Not convinced it still isn't part of the problem. Her history is very complicated in that area, and she said there was a lot of information on the MRI. Even if the nerve root isn't compressed, the fact that there are herniated discs can still cause nerve pain. I still think another opinion is warranted due to the complexity of her case AND the fact that she's in agony. Just my $.02.

Not convinced it still isn't part of the problem. Her history is very complicated in that area, and she said there was a lot of information on the MRI. Even if the nerve root isn't compressed, the fact that there are herniated discs can still cause nerve pain. I still think another opinion is warranted due to the complexity of her case AND the fact that she's in agony. Just my $.02.

Yes I know. Having been through it twice myself. I know. For me, I did not rest until I had a satisfactory response from a doctor willing to get me out of the agony I was in (which, for me, meant surgery). My correction was simply that...correcting something that was wrongly stated.

Yes I know. Having been through it twice myself. I know. For me, I did not rest until I had a satisfactory response from a doctor willing to get me out of the agony I was in (which, for me, meant surgery). My correction was simply that...correcting something that was wrongly stated.
IIR my husband had back problems very similar to yours and had the same surgery you did. He knows squat about medicine (lol) so I had to walk him through all of it, too. He, too, was in absolute agony from herniated discs and compressed nerves that caused him to barely be able to walk, sit or stand, so I know how frustrating and defeating this can be. He got shots for years until the surgery (minimally invasive discectomy) gave him almost a complete cure, save for a few twinges now and then if he overexerts. I sure hope Mommasita can find similar relief. How are you now?

IIR my husband had back problems very similar to yours and had the same surgery you did. He knows squat about medicine (lol) so I had to walk him through all of it, too. He, too, was in absolute agony from herniated discs and compressed nerves that caused him to barely be able to walk, sit or stand, so I know how frustrating and defeating this can be. He got shots for years until the surgery (minimally invasive discectomy) gave him almost a complete cure, save for a few twinges now and then if he overexerts. I sure hope Mommasita can find similar relief. How are you now?

Like a boss! I still baby my back (not an easy feat when you run a horse farm and ride and train professionally LOL) and when i do get the occasional twinge from over doing it I hit the NSAIDS hard for a day or two and knock it back. Those surgeries saved my life.

Like a boss! I still baby my back (not an easy feat when you run a horse farm and ride and train professionally LOL) and when i do get the occasional twinge from over doing it I hit the NSAIDS hard for a day or two and knock it back. Those surgeries saved my life.
I’m glad you’re better, too. :flower3:

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter