• Controversial Topics
    Several months ago, I added a private sub-forum to allow members to discuss these topics without fear of infractions or banning. It's opt-in, opt-out. Corey Click Here

Burned the first time but want to try again

It's against cruiseline policies and likely illegal. Sleeping in a cabin behind a locked door without any possibility of a parent hearing anything going on in the cabin is different than in a house in their room, IMHO. I know it's done all the time. On our Disney cruise, parents even had kids on a different floor.
That's not true.

We stayed in FOV 8500 on IOS. It's divided into 3 separate rooms with doors separating the areas. If something did happen to one of my kids during the night I wouldn't have heard anything unless they started screaming. It's no different than staying in a 1 or 2 bedroom villa at WDW.

I have also been researching a royal cruise for my family with kids age 9 and 12. I was having the same issue with max occupancy 2 staterooms being suggested for us to book. For the life of me, I could not figure out which rooms slept 4. Not sure where i heard this, maybe the new Dreams podcast, but i heard somewhere that Royal Caribbean does not charge per stateroom, but per person. I played with a few bookings and sure enough, 2 staterooms, either connecting or next door to each other, cost the same as 1 stateroom for a family with 2 kids. For me it will be an easy decision when i do finally book. I would much rather have twice the space and bathrooms for the same price than trying to cram all 4 of us in a room that we might not fit into. I hope this helps:)
That really depends on the specific cruise. I just check pricing for the 5 night cruise we're on next year and it's $700 more 2 get 2 rooms. In all the cruises I've priced I've never come across one where it was the same price for 2 rooms.

I don't remember what the age limit is, but there has to be someone of a certain age (16? 18? I can't remember) to be in a cabin alone with other underage children.

I'm pretty sure all cruiselines booking policies require and adult in the cabin, unless it is adjoining. Thus, only kids without an adult would seem to violate this policy. Many things can happen. We have booked 2 cabains as a family of 5 and just split up Mom and Dad to sleep. It never occured to me to leave my 3 kids alone in a cabin.

I'm pretty sure all cruiselines booking policies require and adult in the cabin, unless it is adjoining. Thus, only kids without an adult would seem to violate this policy. Many things can happen. We have booked 2 cabains as a family of 5 and just split up Mom and Dad to sleep. It never occured to me to leave my 3 kids alone in a cabin.
No, they can be adjoining or across the hall. They do not have to be connecting.

It's against cruiseline policies and likely illegal. Sleeping in a cabin behind a locked door without any possibility of a parent hearing anything going on in the cabin is different than in a house in their room, IMHO. I know it's done all the time. On our Disney cruise, parents even had kids on a different floor.
My kids are closer across the hall on a cruise ship then they are at my house. As far as the locked door...the parents have a key. We did this arrangement once on the Magic. Our kids were 10 and 12, and they did just fine. I wouldn't hesitate to it again if I could afford it.

I would not put younger kids in a room by themselves. I would not feel comfortable and for Disney and RCCL it is their policy to have an adult in the room.
Disney cruise website:
Minors under the age of 18 not traveling with a parent or legal guardian must be accompanied by an adult 21 years of age or older in the same stateroom.
Royal Carib:
For voyages originating in North America:
No Guest younger than the age twenty-one (21) will be assigned to a stateroom unless accompanied in the same stateroom by an adult twenty-one (21) years old or older. A guest's age is established upon the first date of sailing.

This age limit will be waived for children sailing with their parents or guardians in connecting staterooms; for underage married couples; and for active duty members of the United States or Canadian military.

You have to book an adult in each room, but dcl will tell you they dont care how you sleep.

About half of the Royal ships we have been on we wouldn't necessarily recommend for kids. I think the Freedom and Oasis class are great for families - the cabins are better than the Jewel and there are better and more expansive kids programs.

I would not put younger kids in a room by themselves. I would not feel comfortable and for Disney and RCCL it is their policy to have an adult in the room.
Disney cruise website:
Minors under the age of 18 not traveling with a parent or legal guardian must be accompanied by an adult 21 years of age or older in the same stateroom.
Royal Carib:
No Guest younger than the age twenty-one (21) will be assigned to a stateroom unless accompanied in the same stateroom by an adult twenty-one (21) years old or older. A guest's age is established upon the first date of sailing.

This age limit will be waived for children sailing with their parents or guardians in connecting staterooms; for underage married couples; and for active duty members of the United States or Canadian military.
It may say that on the website but it is definitely not enforced on RCCL. If you call up they will let you book the kids across the hall or next door.

On our upcoming Freedom cruise, DW, DS, and myself are in one cabin, DD(18), DD's friend (18) and DD(10) are in an adjoining (NOT connecting) cabin. So obviously that rules doesn't apply.

I needed 3 staterooms for my family of six (2 teens, one pre-teen, one adult under 21, my husband and I) but could not book online because of the need for a 21 year old adult per room policy. I called RCCL, and their booking agent explained that my kids would need an adult over 21 in the adjoining room. She booked my husband and I in the middle room, with my 14 and 16 year old in the adjacent room (these were not connecting) and our 19 and 12 year old in the room on the other side. She said that as long as we were in the middle room, there should be no issues. There are no connecting doors, so we plan on having our room steward open up the dividers between our balconies.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter