Bus Transportation for Blind Guest

Status
Not open for further replies.

Jo Goes

Earning My Ears
Looking for suggestions and/or advice. We recently took a family vacation to WDW in November. One person in our family is legally blind and carries a white cane. RP has reduced her field of vision and depth perception and she is now night blind. Stairs/steps are a challenge and the isle of buses become narrow and lined with feet, parcels and strollers. We had confirmed with Disability support that we could use the disability line when boarding bus transportation to and from our resort. The ramp makes it easier for her to board the bus and when the bus is empty there is less chance of her tripping or falling and hurting herself or someone else. Unfortunately this did not work well for us. Most bus drivers seemed puzzled to see us in the line. During our 10 day visit, the interactions with bus drivers ranged from indifferent to rude. Once we were the only people in the disability line and despite the white cane being prominently displayed, the driver who had made eye contact with my son-in-law, ignored us and opened the front door so everyone else boarded before we were able to. We had been the first people to enter the empty queue and had we used the regular line would have been the first to board but by trying to use the disability line, it created the situation we were trying to avoid. At the end of it, we were dreading every trip so we stopped even trying and stood in the regular line. It did mean there were rides where she was standing and holding a strap but that was less stressful than trying to get access with the ramp. Has anyone else had this experience? I know Disney intends to be accommodating to everyone but for us, in reality, it didn't work well for us. I almost wish you could show proof of your disability and get a button you could wear so you wouldn't be questioned. I thought the white cane would have done it but it did not seem to be noticed. Any suggestions for another time would be appreciated.

Unfortunately I feel that legal blindness is one of the only disabilities Disney has not seemed to cater to very well.
The average fully sighted person just don't get it.
The only thing I've found they do well is get you close at shows.
I walk down the ramp to the front of BATB every time and no questions asked I'm seated in the first couple rows.
I too have night blindness. When it is dim to most people its legit pitch black. Try walking in the Space Mountain line or Under the Sea with your eyes closed.
I have not tried to get a DAS because I have found that CM's just suggest I get a wheelchair.
I can walk just fine.
I've learned a few tricks over the years though.
I have a tiny but extremely powerful flashlight on me at all times in my regular life and at Disney. This way if I'm separated from my party at least I'm not going to look like a deer in headlights but rather a deer with headlights lol.
I also clip a lanyard to my sister/friend's bag. We joke its like I'm a kid but it does help and its not all that noticeable because people are in their own little world.
As far as the bus goes I am sure its very rare for them to encounter this which is probably why they were confused or even rude. Some people don't even know what a cane looks like to know that it means you are visually impaired and potentially in need of assistance.
When its dark and steps are coming my sister/friend says step so I'm prepared. On buses this isn't a problem since its well lit.
I have stood many times on the bus and its not more difficult due to my vision or anything. No one likes standing on the bus but you just do it or wait for the next one. What bothers me is when someone puts their bag on a seat so you can't sit.

I'm really sorry that your family was not able to be accommodated as you were supposed to be.

I don't have any suggestions, but I would hope that you reach out to Disney - minimally to Disability Services and also perhaps Transportation - and let them know about your experience, and how it impacted your family member.

Disability Services: (407) 560-2547

(additionally, I found this page - not sure if you have seen it or not)

I'm really sorry that your family was not able to be accommodated as you were supposed to be.

I don't have any suggestions, but I would hope that you reach out to Disney - minimally to Disability Services and also perhaps Transportation - and let them know about your experience, and how it impacted your family member.

Disability Services: (407) 560-2547

(additionally, I found this page - not sure if you have seen it or not)

I am not at all trying to say anything negative towards you but that section on the Disney website really doesn't help the majority of people with visual impairments as there is such a vast range of what people can or cannot see.
Example they have braille guides and braille stationary maps but many people don't use braille
They have audio description but many people who are visually impaired rely heavily on their hearing to know their surroundings.
They have info about service animals but many people with visual impairments do not have one.
Unfortunately it can be quite the invisible disability and seems like its difficult to accommodate.
For example being in a dark and having a number of people wearing flashing jingle bell necklaces can make it difficult to see but there's not much Disney can do about it.
Dim lighting and winding lines in attractions can make it extremely difficult but again not much they can do to accommodate that. Even some FP+ lines are just as bad as they are side by side to the SB line. Going through the exit would be much more appropriate but with the introduction of so many FP lines guest relations seems to think going through a FP line via DAS is more than accommodating and for some disabilities it is but for others its not.

I am not at all trying to say anything negative towards you but that section on the Disney website really doesn't help the majority of people with visual impairments as there is such a vast range of what people can or cannot see.
Example they have braille guides and braille stationary maps but many people don't use braille
They have audio description but many people who are visually impaired rely heavily on their hearing to know their surroundings.
They have info about service animals but many people with visual impairments do not have one.
Unfortunately it can be quite the invisible disability and seems like its difficult to accommodate.
For example being in a dark and having a number of people wearing flashing jingle bell necklaces can make it difficult to see but there's not much Disney can do about it.
Dim lighting and winding lines in attractions can make it extremely difficult but again not much they can do to accommodate that. Even some FP+ lines are just as bad as they are side by side to the SB line. Going through the exit would be much more appropriate but with the introduction of so many FP lines guest relations seems to think going through a FP line via DAS is more than accommodating and for some disabilities it is but for others its not.

I'm sorry if Disney's information, or their accomodations, isn't helpful to you - or the majority of visually impaired Guests at WDW. However, I always point to official Disney webpages when possible, for 2 simple reasons: 1. Sometimes there can be a useful nugget of information there, especially for Guests who are new to WDW, or who have not been to the Parks for many years, and 2. It helps set an expectation of what level of services and/or accommodations that the Guest will likely receive. Pixie Dust is wonderful - when it happens - but we can't count on it for every Guest, every time. (then it's not Pixie Dust anymore, either!)

I try to never make assumptions about the level/type/frequency/intensity of assistance that another Guest may require. What works for me obviously won't work for you - and vice-versa. I was merely offering a resource and a suggestion.

I do believe that unless and until Disney hears directly from Guests who are impacted by (in this case, visual impairment) a particular challenge, they may not neccesarily make any changes that could be useful to those Guests. It's not just that the squeaky wheel gets the grease - it's also because they often don't realize what would really be useful or helpful until we tell them; they design for the greatest common denominator, but they can often incorporate features that are needed/requested in future construction, as well as the never-ending remodeling.

I would hope that you reach out to Disney

Some people don't even know what a cane looks like to know that it means you are visually impaired and potentially in need of assistance.

I agree about reaching out to Disney, as this sounds like a training problem to me. Those bus drivers who ignored you probably don't know what a white cane means. They associate that line with wheelchairs, and when they didn't see one, probably thought you just messed up (or were even trying to cheat). It sounds like Disney needs to include info on legal blindness in it's training.

Looking for suggestions and/or advice. We recently took a family vacation to WDW in November. One person in our family is legally blind and carries a white cane. RP has reduced her field of vision and depth perception and she is now night blind. Stairs/steps are a challenge and the isle of buses become narrow and lined with feet, parcels and strollers. We had confirmed with Disability support that we could use the disability line when boarding bus transportation to and from our resort. The ramp makes it easier for her to board the bus and when the bus is empty there is less chance of her tripping or falling and hurting herself or someone else. Unfortunately this did not work well for us. Most bus drivers seemed puzzled to see us in the line. During our 10 day visit, the interactions with bus drivers ranged from indifferent to rude. Once we were the only people in the disability line and despite the white cane being prominently displayed, the driver who had made eye contact with my son-in-law, ignored us and opened the front door so everyone else boarded before we were able to. We had been the first people to enter the empty queue and had we used the regular line would have been the first to board but by trying to use the disability line, it created the situation we were trying to avoid. At the end of it, we were dreading every trip so we stopped even trying and stood in the regular line. It did mean there were rides where she was standing and holding a strap but that was less stressful than trying to get access with the ramp. Has anyone else had this experience? I know Disney intends to be accommodating to everyone but for us, in reality, it didn't work well for us. I almost wish you could show proof of your disability and get a button you could wear so you wouldn't be questioned. I thought the white cane would have done it but it did not seem to be noticed. Any suggestions for another time would be appreciated.

When she was navigating the parks, what did she do, and could that work for her in the bus lines? I'm not understanding how she could do the parks all day, and then not be able to get on a bus? How does she navigate in queues, restaurants, etc?

My boyfriend has RP and he does go to Disney once or twice a year. If he goes with me we rent a car. He finds this easier. Doesn’t gave to deal with the lines for the bus or the crowds on the bus. Also, parking is free at the hotels if you have a handicap parking placard. If we do take the bus I just verbally tell him the steps are coming and how many. I will also let him know if there is a large gab betw the bottom bus step and the sidewalk. It can be frustrating but we just take it slow.

Trust me I've reached out to Disney a number of times about accommodations for the visually impaired.
I've explained what works well and what I feel could be improved but I also understand its difficult to fix some of the issues as they are not things that can be changed like lighting and lines.
I've requested special viewing areas and am just told things like "Go to the wheelchair accessible seating" (half the time that is in the back sections so how does that help?) or "Ma'am its visible all around this area, you'll be able to see" (That is when I know they just aren't getting it).
I've asked about walking through the exit at some lines since its a much more direct and usually better lit route but I've been told to ask about DAS so I can go through the FP+ line which does not help when its a side by side line.
I've found my own ways to adapt but some issues just can't seem to be fix even with extensive discussion.
Society seems to think that you can either see fine or you see nothing but the visually impaired community knows there is a wide range of sight between 20/20 and no vision at all.

My boyfriend has RP and he does go to Disney once or twice a year. If he goes with me we rent a car. He finds this easier. Doesn’t gave to deal with the lines for the bus or the crowds on the bus. Also, parking is free at the hotels if you have a handicap parking placard. If we do take the bus I just verbally tell him the steps are coming and how many. I will also let him know if there is a large gab betw the bottom bus step and the sidewalk. It can be frustrating but we just take it slow.

Yes my sister is very helpful to express when there are steps or a wide gap.
Its helpful to go with someone that knows to warn of these things.
My dad is also a great person to go with because he was born with cataracts and has a long time blind friend, my mom on the other hand is terrible at leading.

Thank you for the replies. I don't want to give the impression everything was miserable. Most walkways are smooth and well lit. Most lines are also smooth and uncluttered so she is able to navigate them easily with her cane. We did Flight of Passage and both times a Cast Member offered access without steps and audio support without being asked. While they never offered, when we asked Cast Members to slow the ride so she could get on or off the ride, they always did so. Small things those make a difference. We never minded waiting our turn or even standing on a full bus in daylight. Having her board and in a seat after dark certainly would have been safer for her than standing holding a strap in the dark. Had she lost her grip in a jolt, she would not have been able to grab something to prevent a fall. If she had been seated beside one of us, in the event of something happening, we could have made sure she got out of danger. I will let Disney know of our experience. I was just surprised by the attitude of the drivers. They don't question guests in ECVs to see if they really need assistance but it really felt like she was being judged as not needing assistance. None of them actually refused to provide assistance but it felt like it was begrudged by times.

Thank you for the replies. I don't want to give the impression everything was miserable. Most walkways are smooth and well lit. Most lines are also smooth and uncluttered so she is able to navigate them easily with her cane. We did Flight of Passage and both times a Cast Member offered access without steps and audio support without being asked. While they never offered, when we asked Cast Members to slow the ride so she could get on or off the ride, they always did so. Small things those make a difference. We never minded waiting our turn or even standing on a full bus in daylight. Having her board and in a seat after dark certainly would have been safer for her than standing holding a strap in the dark. Had she lost her grip in a jolt, she would not have been able to grab something to prevent a fall. If she had been seated beside one of us, in the event of something happening, we could have made sure she got out of danger. I will let Disney know of our experience. I was just surprised by the attitude of the drivers. They don't question guests in ECVs to see if they really need assistance but it really felt like she was being judged as not needing assistance. None of them actually refused to provide assistance but it felt like it was begrudged by times.

The reason why they did not question people in ECV is because they have to use the ramp an ECV can weight over 50 pounds and I do not even think you could get them in the front door even if you could pick them up, Yes they do come apart but can you really see taking something apart ( in 4 or more pieces) and then carrying it on the bus one by one or two, then when on the bus where would you put it.

I have know quite a few people with visual problem from totally blind to night vision blindness and pretty much everywhere in between so I do get it ( I would spend the first few weeks of college semester helping people with vision problems get around campus which was so much fun) which often meant taking a bus from one side of campus to the other, most of the time the bus was full of book bags music instruments ( somehow most would need to use the bus stop by the school of music) the lines where not as long as at Disney but there were no lines so it was crowd up let the bus stop then get on so not sure what was better, we simply waited and tool then slow the visually impaired person would ask the driver if there was an empty set and if so where it was ( since your friend has someone with her at Disney they can help her find a set if need be, they would normally never pick up their feet but shuffle them so they were less likely to trip. having someone in front of you where you can hold their shoulder helped most of the people I know they would also before getting on tap their cain on the front part of the bottom step then tap it on the top, so they know how fair out and how hight up to step ( I hope that made sense). Yes it took a few extra second maybe a minute for then to get on but most was making sure they where on the right bus and the driver know what stop they needed to get off on ( two thing that at Disney you do not have to wrry about, unless you are staying at a hotel with more then one stop or if there is not a line for each park) anyways I am not saying it would be easer to get on by the back door I am saying a person with vision problems can get on with the front door someone in a ECV has to use the back door there are no other option for them. And if someone really does need a set and the bus if full then waiting for th next bus is really the only way to get one fro sure.

Hope this helped and I hope the next time you ( your friend) is at disney you have a better time.

So, was it more about needing a seat on the bus?

... I was just surprised by the attitude of the drivers. They don't question guests in ECVs to see if they really need assistance but it really felt like she was being judged as not needing assistance. None of them actually refused to provide assistance but it felt like it was begrudged by times.

Sadly, I think that's just the Bus Drivers showing a lack of training, as @PollyannaMom said above.

This is where I think your feedback could be really helpful - stressing to Disability Services that the drivers need to be reminded that *any* Guest who approaches the ramp should be treated with respect. Any Guest who feels the need to use the ramp over the steps is most likely doing so out of an abundance of caution, and a fear of falling on the steps and potentially being injured.

I will start this with you should not have been told that information. Unfortunately the people answering the phones don’t always know the day to day operations of the park. I don’t mean to sound unsympathetic but the problem with allowing anyone with a disability to use the wheelchair ramp is opening a can of worms. So now I can’t wait in line or I need to board first will be everything (autism,IBS, heart condition). We all see the post from people that need/want a DAS. So now the poor bus driver now needs to make these decisions. You couldn’t pay me enough to be in that position.

I will start this with you should not have been told that information. Unfortunately the people answering the phones don’t always know the day to day operations of the park. I don’t mean to sound unsympathetic but the problem with allowing anyone with a disability to use the wheelchair ramp is opening a can of worms. So now I can’t wait in line or I need to board first will be everything (autism,IBS, heart condition). We all see the post from people that need/want a DAS. So now the poor bus driver now needs to make these decisions. You couldn’t pay me enough to be in that position.
I agree with this 100% and just to add something if when your friend goes back try not to leave the park after the fireworks ( or nighttime show) even if the park closes the front part still stays open so that people can shop eat take last minute pictures and so no. So I would stay and let the crowds die down, you really do not need to do anything just find someplace to sit and listen to the music that is playing waiting 30-45 minutes and then slowly leaving can make a world of difference at the bus stop. But like the PP said where does it end with using the back door does someone with ASD/SPD get to because they can have a meltdown and hurt them self in crowded area, someone with IBS because they have to get back to the resort in case they need to use the bathroom,
Like I said before someone with visual impairment can use the front door is it easy on a crowded bus no but you can choose when to leave when it is less crowded if it is too dark bring a light with you if it will help ( they make very cheap and small one that are very bright and I know a few that have to do this a Disney) but as Weedy said where does it stop. This is why only people in ECV wheelchair can use the back door because there really is no other way for them to get on or off the bus even if they were the only ones

Trust me I've reached out to Disney a number of times about accommodations for the visually impaired.
I've explained what works well and what I feel could be improved but I also understand its difficult to fix some of the issues as they are not things that can be changed like lighting and lines.
I've requested special viewing areas and am just told things like "Go to the wheelchair accessible seating" (half the time that is in the back sections so how does that help?) or "Ma'am its visible all around this area, you'll be able to see" (That is when I know they just aren't getting it).
I've asked about walking through the exit at some lines since its a much more direct and usually better lit route but I've been told to ask about DAS so I can go through the FP+ line which does not help when its a side by side line.
I've found my own ways to adapt but some issues just can't seem to be fix even with extensive discussion.
Society seems to think that you can either see fine or you see nothing but the visually impaired community knows there is a wide range of sight between 20/20 and no vision at all.

Yes, I feel like I could have written this! :) I've had CM's tell me "there are no bad seats in the house" at shows. And so many just don't seem to grasp the concept that there's middle ground between being completely blind and having normal vision. When I asked for accommodation for entering and boarding a dark ride, the CM asked me why I was even bothering to ride, "since I wouldn't be able to see anything anyway." Explaining to them that the show scenes inside the ride have lights shining on them didn't help.

Yes, I usually have a family member with me to help, but they all have their own physical issues to deal with.

I love WDW, and they do better than a lot of places, but visual impairment is a weak spot for them and could be a real training opportunity.

Status
Not open for further replies.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter